Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Windows 7 with CS4 and PSD Icons

Dec 5, 2009 4:37 PM

Hi,

I have Windows 7 64bit, Photoshop CS4 and Photoshop 7 (for back-up).

I know that Photoshop 7 allowed thumbnail previews on PSD's but that was taken out so CS4 is just a custom icon, but Windows 7 doesn't seem to really get what to do with either of them, and you can't force a certian icon on a certian file type like you could in XP because Microsoft basically got rid of the ability to do so now.

The attatched image shows two PSD's in the same folder, one with a defaul windows "unknown" file icon, but with photoshops logo on it to represent what it will open it with anyway, and the other has a preivew although it has never been opened in PS7 (both fully created in CS4, nothing else). For the sake of organisation, is there a way to either get them all to be previews of thumbnails or all one generic icon (preferably not the one it has made it from windows).

Thanks,

Ricky

Attachments:

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 5, 2009 4:56 PM   in reply to Ricky-T

Hi Ricky

In Windows Explorer (Windows 7) if you right click on a file icon a menu pops up offering your the choice under Open with->Choose Default Program. If you select Photoshop it will change the icon to the Photoshop and open the file.

I notice that the file extension is not showing in your example I suggest you turn this feature on just to make sure both files are .psd.

As to the thumbnails, I found Windows Explorer so inadequate, I bought a program call Directory Opus, I think you can get a free 30 day trial if you're interested at http://www.gpsoft.com.au/ it has many features left out of Windows Explorer including a really good thumbnail feature.

Good luck with it.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2010 12:14 PM   in reply to Ricky-T

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2010 1:24 AM   in reply to Dunchan1

Hi,

I am working on window 7 and psicon.dll is not at all working with this OS. It works fine with Win XP but not with this. I am using PS cs4.

Realy need help ASAP.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2010 3:08 AM   in reply to roopa samaddar

Hi I found this site, but couldn't make it work for us.  Maybe you can. Let me know if you get it working and how you did it.

http://www.josh.biz/tech/6-view_psd_thumbnails.html

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2010 4:03 AM   in reply to Dunchan1

I used this psicon.dll in vista and XP with PS cs3.Its working fine

there. But in Win 7 its not working. Don't

know Win 7 is causing the problem or PS CS4 is troubling.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2010 7:46 AM   in reply to roopa samaddar

It's windows 7 duh. They took it out on purpose.    You also have to change the registery like that josh site said.  It did seem to work for some people.  Also there are 2 program files in win 7.  so try adding to the common files in both sections.  That's all I know.  Let me know if and HOW you get it working. GL

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2010 9:05 AM   in reply to Dunchan1

I'm using Win7 - 32bit and CS4 11.01 and this solution works perfectly for me. Make sure you put the dll file in the correct folder and then run Adobe.reg. close and reopen Windows explorer and away you go. The instructions are in the zip file.

Anthony.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2010 9:05 AM   in reply to Ricky-T

Has anyone made this work woth win 7 64 BIT?  Actually I ended up building a virtual window with VMWare Player and put xp in it to run my old programs.  Works well also.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2010 12:03 PM   in reply to Dunchan1

You can purchase a PSD codec for win7 x64 here: http://www.ardfry.com/psd-codec/

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 29, 2010 12:06 PM   in reply to Ricky-T

Bridge is free.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2010 2:49 PM   in reply to Ricky-T

Use Mysticthumbs.  It's free.

http://mysticcoder.net/mysticthumbs.html

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2010 5:09 PM   in reply to MSangrak

$15 is nor free, and Mystic is just an XP thumbnail provider that happens to work on Vista and Win7 thanks to MS, but it does not allow full size viewing in Windows Photo Viewer, Photo Gallery or Media Center 7.

The real solution is a WIC-enablec PSD codec, either Ardfry's or the FastPictureViewer Codec Pack (which provides good support for layered files saved without the Maximum Compatibility option).

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2010 1:21 PM   in reply to Axel Rietschin

At the time this was posted, Mystic Thumbs was free. :-P  You're responding to a very old post.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2010 1:42 PM   in reply to MSangrak

April 2010 is not very old :-) Anyway, my point what that the real solution for Vista and later is a proper WIC-enabled PSD codec. This is how Microsoft envisioned extensibility to 3rd party image formats for Vista, with metadata integration with Windows Search and full-size viewing and slideshows in all built-in image viewers, support which was also extended to Media Center in Windows 7. Benefits go far beyond Explorer itself: codec-enabled applications, as well as all .NET3.x/4.x applications, also benefit directly from installed codecs and support new formats automatically.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,523 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Sep 20, 2010 8:32 AM   in reply to Axel Rietschin

For providing thumbnails for both raw files and PSD files, the FastPictureViewer Codec Pack is now at the best price point of all the competitors.  Ardfry charges separately for each, so for example Ardfry's solution would be $19.95 for .PSD and $29.95 for .CR2.

The FastPictureViewer codecs work a treat on my Windows 7 x64 system.  Bravo to you Axel!

FileOpen.jpg

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points