Skip navigation
k2kramer-cIzBOv
Currently Being Moderated

Test project... DVD "encode failed" after sending to Encore???

Dec 6, 2009 11:46 PM

Starting this ? in Pr forum rather than Encore as that is where the project started.

Background: Started this project with older computer system and Premiere Elements 7. Forum responses pointed me to think of upgrading to Pr Pro to do multi cam with differing source types.... I upgraded to Pr CS4..built a new computer system to handle it...(aside) had incredibly difficult time troubleshooting what was a bad memory module. Project getting later and later by months. So onto problem at hand.

New system: As this is brand new all drivers are updated etc.

Premiere Pro CS4 ver. 4.2 creative suite includes Encore etc.

Windows 7 Premium Home 64 (upgraded from Vista Home Prem 64)

Mobo: EVGA P55 SLI

processor: I7 860

GPU's: GTX 260's (two in SLI)

3 HD: 1=TB, 2x=750GB each 2.5TB total

Currently only 2 GB Ram (original 4GB, failed 2 GB replacement on the way)

LG Blu Ray burner

DVD/CD (2nd optical drive)

project: two camera sources. Canon GL2 (DV), Canon HF S100 (HDV).

Context is concert material, so two synced cameras, one master audio track.

I'm performing a small test project (sequence is ~20 minutes) to learn all the steps needed to complete final.

project settings chosen: NTSC DV 48 widescreen, as final output will be DVD

I successfully synced the two camera source clips, again one is AVCHD (.MTS) the other DV (.avi).

created nested sequence, enabled MultiCam, edited within MultiCam monitor! Yea, so far so good.

Now I have this Multi Cam sequence to send to DVD. So, after watching tutorials on Premiere and Encore, I do this in Pr...

File...Abode Dynamic Link..Send to Encore.

In Encore, I add a basic menu with proper links etc. tests fine...looks good...all set.  Go to Build w/ DVD in burner, starts fine, opens window for encoding, gets a ways (20-30 minutes) then pop up error window that says "Encode Failed", main window underneath says,

"Build Progess Transcoding...Failed"

Tried to Write same test sequence to DVD Image on HD, same result, +/- 20 minutes and "Encode Failed".

Read other forum threads for clues. Someone suggested to another to Export the sequence from Pr Pro as avi file. Then bring this into Encore as asset and burn DVD.

I tried to Export Project as avi using this same MultiCam edited sequence from Pr Pro.

This opens the Adobe Media Encoder. from there I get a different error...

"ImporterProcessServer.exe has stopped working"

This error appears after 6:59, also states 8:13:31 remaining.

I have ordered more RAM. Plus I will get the replacement 2GB module soon. My feeling is that the current memory in my system is lacking, but not what is causing these problems.  Though I do not know if that is true.

Obviously, I'm a beginner at this, just learning PrPro from limited PrElements experience and online tutorials and any helps I can find. I was getting excited as I have actually accomplished the steps I'll need to complete this project. But it has sort of become like the Exodus from Egypt and I don't wish to spend 40 years wondering in the desert before reaching the promised land. Please help me cross over the Jordan!

Kenny

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 7, 2009 4:00 AM   in reply to k2kramer-cIzBOv
    1. More RAM
    2. More RAM
    3. More RAM
    4. Update all of your drivers anyway.  New systems rarely ship with the latest drivers.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 7, 2009 11:04 AM   in reply to k2kramer-cIzBOv

I was referring to video card drivers, audio card drivers, any add-on

PCI or PCIx cards you have, and optical drive firmware.

Let us know how the extra RAM works out.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 13, 2009 5:12 AM   in reply to k2kramer-cIzBOv

That's good news about the RAM.  Building a project in En from Pr using Dynamic Link takes a lot of RAM because Pr and/or its associated processes are running, Dynamic Link is running, En is running and the media encoder processes are running.

For anyone who doesn't have a ton of RAM available, you can help out that delicate memory balancing act by doing things like background transcoding in En before building the project, and by fine-tuning your system so that only essential resident Windows services are running.

under the "Properties Panel", bottom it indicates: Encoded Size: 4.7GB

You can switch the project's disc size on the Build panel at any time to 8.54 GB.  If you're using Automatic Transcoding for the Pr sequence, then the estimate in the Properties panel should update accordingly.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2009 10:07 AM   in reply to k2kramer-cIzBOv
    1. Background transcoding: File | Transcode Now.
    2. Are you logged on as an Administrator?  If so, then there may be a permissions issue with your temp folders or your personal folders or your app data folders.
    3. Try building a disc image or a set of DVD folders and see if you are successful.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2009 10:55 AM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

One additional though. What is your available free space on your HDD(s)? Encore needs much more room for its working files, than just the size of the VIDEO_TS folder and resulting files.

Just a thought,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2009 11:23 AM   in reply to k2kramer-cIzBOv
    1. Did you select the sequence in the Project panel first?  If so, then most likely the sequence is already transcoded.  Do File | Revert to Original to get it back to its original untranscoded state.

Pr can be closed.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 14, 2009 1:27 PM   in reply to k2kramer-cIzBOv

Should I go for that?

Sure.  It'll be a good test, and it may help you get your project built successfully/quickly.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2009 7:58 PM   in reply to k2kramer-cIzBOv

You're welcome.

My disc used up 7.85 GB of the 8.5 available although it is 3 hours long. Thought it would use it all. Does that sound right?

Depends on where you're measuring the 7.85 GB.  If you're doing it in Windows Explorer, then it's exactly right.  Blank DVD Media manufacturers count 1 GB as 10^9 bytes, or 1,000,000,000 bytes.  Computers, being binary, count 1 GB as 2^30, or 1,073,741,824 bytes.  I'll let you do the math from there.

Encore's Automatic Transcoding got you pretty close to a full disc.  The only way to use more space would be to manually calculate a target bit rate, but the potential gain in quality would be very, very minimal.  I'd stick with Automatic.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2011 3:10 PM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

FWIW, I know it's late but I just saw this. I have Encore CS4 with Windows 7 and got an error dialog box that said "access denied" with the Encore error "building navigation. failed completed".

One of these two things fixed it, I think probably the first:

1) Running Encore as administrator (right-click on the desktop icon, then click Run as Administrator), which is weird because I'm already logged in as an administrator.

2) Changing the burn speed from 8x to 6x.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points