• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is this possible?

Community Expert ,
Dec 07, 2009 Dec 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want a slide at the very beginning of a module that will a) record the user's name (after they type it in) and then send me

an email with the user's name and the name of the module they are taking. I would prefer that the user does not see this happening (in other words, that the email message just gets sent without an email message dialog box opening).

TIA,

Karin

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Karin,

I do not think this would be possible, certainly not out of the box in CP. And thinking by myself: would you like that your PC is sending an e-mail without your approval? I certainly wouldn't want this to happen.

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

It's an interesting thought. I'm wondering if perhaps it might be accomplished by creating a hidden form in the Captivate HTML page. Then using JavaScript to gather and submit the form results to a PERL or CGI script on the server. I'm not sure how seamless you could make it though. Would need to test for that.

Hmmm, if only I had the time to play... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting point, Lilybiri...you are correct. In that light it does look underhanded. Perhaps if I explain why I want to accomplish this, somebody will have an idea for me. The modules I am created will be placed in two different places at my client's site...one is an LMS, where the students will have to register and take the entire module and test. But the org also wants to make these available directly in the help system, which will bypass the LMS completely...however they want to be able to see WHO is takeing WHICH modules. (They don't care about the test scores in this instance.)

It would not be the worst thing for the email window to open and for them to have to hit send...that would be OK...but I need the name of module and the user's name in the body of the email...automatically.

Now...any ideas? 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can do this with a custom built Flash component and a PHP script. Basically you would have the Flash component grab the username that they entered in Captivate or have them enter the username directly into the Flash component. This component is inserted into the Captivate project.

The Flash component will then send the information to the PHP script that uses the mail() function. Of course this requires that PHP is enabled on the server where your Captivate presentation is played from.

This would allow you to have email sent directly without the user noticing it. Basically you could customize it to send anything you want.

Perhaps it could also be achieved with JavaScript sending the information to the PHP script (thereby skipping the Flash component) but I'm not exactly a JS expert so I don't have any idea on how to do that.

/Michael

Visit my Captivate blog with tips & tricks, tutorials and Widgets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael

I'm going to contact you privately with a suggestion.

Please stand by! Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 08, 2009 Dec 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Karin,

Thanks for explaining. Yesterday was very busy, hence my late answer. But I see that Michael has answered, for your problem he is the right person to help you out, much better than me. And with the help of Rick, you are lucky

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI

I talked with Rick last night and we decided to try and make a widget, which will allow you to send an email in the background with the username (or what ever is entered in the field).

I set aside some hours to program the widget tomorrow evening and Rick will be doing the script stuff. Hopefully we can create a working solution asap.

/Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Michael (and Rick), for the information. I'm looking forward to your solution, could be very useful for a lot of CP-users. If you need a tester?

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 10, 2009 Dec 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We could use a couple of testers for this widget.

I have a working prototype now and it relies on the free FormMail Perl/CGI script available here: http://www.formmail.com/

Many webhosts already have this installed per default but some might need to download and set up the script manually.

If anyone has FormMail (or would like to install it) on their webserver and would like to test the widget please send me an email to admin (at) cpguru (dot) com.

/Michael

Visit my Captivate blog with tips & tricks, tutorials and Widgets.http://www.formmail.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2009 Dec 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

Sorry not to have answered immediately. I would like to help, but do not have access to our webserver and cannot setup anything on our LMS (just a teacher in college here). If I can help anyway, do not hesitate to contact me. It is no problem to ask a small group of my students to participate in a test.

Have a nice sunday,

Lilybiri

PS: there is a growing list of CP-users set up by RJacquez for Twitter, you are still missing? Have a look: http://bit.ly/87MXwv

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 13, 2009 Dec 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lilibiry,

No worries. I have tested this quite a lot myself the last couple of days and it works perfectly well for me. I tested on three different domains that all have the FormMail script preinstalled.

I think that I should be able to finish it off tonight and then I just need to write up a simple help file. The installation of the FormMail script (if it's not preinstalled on your webhost) is a totally different story though, but that is well documentation at the official website.

P.S. - Thank for the info about the Twitter list. I didn't know about that but I have requested to be added now ;o)

/Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 16, 2009 Dec 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't recieve any emails in regards to possible testers, but I have tested the widget on 3 domains myself.

Everything seem to be working just fine, so I will try and see if I can get time to make the widget available later tonight. I just need to write up a small help file on how to use the widget.

/Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 18, 2009 Dec 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 18, 2009 Dec 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Michael, I hope to have an opportunity to try your widget (depending on our webserver). Great work!

Lilybiri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2010 Jan 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

I am finally giving this widget of yours a try - thanks!

I don't support it would be possible to also include quiz score or interactions as well in the email?

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 17, 2010 Nov 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is there any chance to get this in AS3? This widget is EXACTLY what i need....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are the best!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2009 Dec 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure "how" to test the possible solution? But I would be happy to if somebody tells me what to do!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 17, 2010 Nov 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

great widget

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
Help resources