Expand my Community achievements bar.

mixing FMS and P2P

Level 4

first, am i correct in understanding that when one user in a session connects via FMS, all other existing users are switched to FMS and any subsequent users logging in will also be FMS connected?

i would really prefer to avoid FMS connections if at all possible due to the latency TCP/IP can build up, which makes audio conference utterly useless.  i've experienced this quite often with FMS in the past.

is there any way to mix p2p connections and fms connections in the same session?  i tried doing this with stratus, with success - say 3 users are in a session all via p2p, another user connects but can only connect via FMS (i built in this failover).  that users publishes their audio stream to FMS, sends a request to the other users to publish their streams to FMS, and all subscriptions for this new user go through FMS.  the users that are capable of p2p connections to each other continue to do so.

if this isn't possible yet, allow me to submit a feature request.  downgrading everyone's connection to FMS when it's only required for one user isn't desirable.

2 Replies

Former Community Member

Thanks for the feedback, we definitely appreciate the heads up! The problem

with getting everyone to send a stream to FMS as well as P2P for each other

is that it really can become taxing to people's uplinks. It is something

worth thinking about though.

nigel

Level 4

thanks for the response nigel.  forgive me if i'm misunderstanding something, but in terms of bandwidth, what difference does it make if when a new user arrives you create a new stream out via p2p or via FMS?  it's still a stream, only the protocol differs.