• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flashplayer won't install on Windows XP running IE8

New Here ,
Dec 15, 2009 Dec 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried to download flashplayer and it fails.  I have followed the steps for trouble shooting on Adobe but no luck.  I have PC Defender (F-Secure) as my antivirus and firewall.  Any suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Dec 15, 2009 Dec 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, you didn't mention if you uninstalled the previous version first, but following is the link to do that.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html   Read over and follow the instructions carefully and be sure to Reboot TWICE after

the uninstaller is finished.  This you will SAVE to your desktop.

Then this link that follows is to Install Adobe Flash Player. This is a direct downloand and install. You may want to read

the instructions first. There is on the opening page a Google Toolbar with a check mark and will be installed with the Flash

Player. Uncheck the box if you do not want it. Reboot Once after the install is completed.

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

After the install is finished, go to this test site to have Adobe confirm the install & version #

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/155/tn_15507.html

Then you can check any website and see if the sites are working as they should be.

Hope this works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2009 Dec 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried what you said but got a message in DLM that said "failed to register".  Still has not installed.  I am running adobe reader 9.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, what of Adobe do you have listed in Add/Remove? If DLM is there remove it. Whether you had a successful Uninstall

I don't know. If you did, then Flash Player 10 ActiveX will not be listed in Add/Remove.

When you tried to Install (if the above was successful) which version of FP?

Are you running as Administrator? From what I understand of IE8, this is necessary.

Any anti-virus running in realtime(running in the background) and sometimes a firewall will prevent an Uninstall/Install.

What firewall are you using?

Also go to Tools>Manage add ons and look for Shockwave Flash Object, it must be there and Enabled.

These are just a few things that may cause problems with an Uninstall and Install.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

• I have adobe version 9.2, DLM is not in Add/Remove.

• no success loading any version of FP.

• I am running in administrator, I believe.

• I have disabled my antivirus and firewall but no luck loading. I use

F-Secure pc defender as my antivirus and firewall.

• Shockwave Flash Object is not in my add ons. Where do I get it?

Thanks

lilace3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try downloading the offline ActiveX installer http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player_ax.exe (for Internet Explorer); save it to disk, then close all browser windows and run the downloaded installer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 20, 2009 Dec 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This didn't work either.

Thanks for the input though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, most of the time when there is a problem in downloading FP, it is one or more add ons. To try to identify what it might

be, go into Tools>manage add ons and list for me all those "currently used" and "have been used".

If you are using any third party Toolbars, such as Google, Yahoo, AOL or any at all.

List all Java entries you have in manage add ons.

In addition, go to C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash. Open the Flash folder and list the entries that are there.

Did you receive an error # with the "failed to register?"

Thanks, hopefully with this information we will be able to identify the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have tried to install and uninstall several times.  I do notice

this --- when I go to Add-ons the version that is listed is9.0

.124.0  Should this not have updated along with the new ver

sion of Flash? and if so why is it not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi chipanna, No it should not be there; it is not "updated" per se it is replaced with the new version when the old version of Flash Player is Uninstalled and the new version of Flash Player is Installed.

You might want to supply the information that I requested of lilace3. Without knowing what the problem exactly is, a solution is just a guess. There are reasons I need certain information.

I could just tell you to go "here" and uninstall and then go "here" and install. But evidently everyone has already done that. So, either the uninstall did not work; the download did not work, or both worked and Flash Player is not working as it should. I could list all of the reasons for those 3 scenarios but it is not needed and it is time consuming. Instead I ask the pertinent questions to save you time and myself.

Thanks, post back with the information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In manage add-ons

Java(tm) Plug-in 2 SSV He

Java Plug-in 1.6.0_17

Deployment toolkit

InC:.....Flash

KB923789

Also in add/remove I cannot remove Adobe DLM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, thanks, that is part of the info. You only have 2 add ons?

And in your Flash folder you only have KB923789?, In your Flash folder?

And, if you see DLM in your Add/Remove, yes you can remove it. Hi light it and hit Remove.

Awaiting complete info.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes to the first questions and I did highlighlight DLM an

d hit remove but it still would not remove.  Now what?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you running as Administrator? On the Start button (left bottom), right click on it, does it say "run as administrator?"

On your add ons, if you can't list them all then the next best thing to do is follow this link:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

Look for the one for "Windows", click on this and choose SAVE and put it on your desktop.

http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player_ax .exe

This is the Installer, click on this and choose SAVE and put it on your desktop.

To Uninstall:

Read and follow the instructions .

1. Go to Tools>manage add ons and DISABLE every thing that is listed there, say ok and close the window.

2. If you have any Toolbars, Google, AOL, Yahoo or any DISABLE them also.

3. Disconnect from the Internet

4. DISABLE OR PAUSE any Anti-virus/spyware that is realtime(running in the background)

5. DISABLE the Windows Firewall and if you use any other Firewall, DISABLE  it also.

6. Close all browser windows, you want to be only looking at your desktop

7. Right click on the Uninstaller you put on your desktop and Click RUN

8. Wait until it is finished, then Reboot/restart your computer. Wait until it is completely rebooted. Then Reboot again

(to make sure the old Flash is removed)

Now to Install:

Right Click on the Installer that you put on your desktop and Click RUN

1. Wait until it is finished and then Reboot ONCE

2. Re-Enable all Firewalls

3. Re-Enable all Anti-virus/spyware

4. Re-connect back to the Internet

5. Open IE, go to Tools, manage add ons and look for Shockwave Flash Object and ENABLE it. Also ENABLE Java, but NOT the SSV add on. DO NOT AT THIS TIME ENABLE ANY OTHER ADD ONS

6. Go to   http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about Adobe will confirm if you have FP installed and what version

Then you can go to a website and see if FP is working as it should be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 21, 2009 Dec 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done all you said and it appears to be working n

ow, but.......the Shockwave Flash Object is still 9.0.124.0

Any new suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more thing.  DLM still cannot be removed from the

add/remove list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi chipanna, glad to hear that you are making progress. Did you go to the Adobe test site after you were finished and

what did it show?

The vs 9 of ActiveX should not be in add ons. I'll give you a link to follow for that. But first, go to Add/Remove and what of Adobe is listed there?

You may have your security settings too high and that would prevent the install of the ActiveX to the IE add ons.

Let me know about the Adobe test site and what is now listed in Add/Remove. If you have successfully installed, then don't be concerned about the DLM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe te

st site       "Adobe Flash successfully installed

you have version 10,0,42,34 installed

Security setting is on Med/high.  I tried it on just Medium with the same results

On add/remove

Adobe AIR

Adobe Download Manager

Adobe Flash Plaayer 10 ActiveX

Adobe Reader 9.2

Adobe Shockwave Player 11.5

What next?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, that's good thanks.

Now do this: Close out all browsers, click on Start, click on My Computer or Computer, right click on Local Disk (C:) & click Open. Look for a folder WINDOWS, right click on it and click on Open, Look for a Large folder that says SYSTEM 32, right

click on it and click Open. Look for a folder that says Macromed, right click on it and click on open, right click on the folder that says Flash and click open. You should see one that says Flash10d.ocx and one that says FlashUtil10d.exe. These are your new Flash version 10.0.42.34 files.

Look to see if there is one that says Flash9b.ocx . If that is there, right click on it, a window will open up. Click Delete, say ok or yes to send it to the recycle bin. Then close the window.

Post back and let me know what you found.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found three folders that weren't there before all this trouble

File.ocx 7.0.14.0

Macromedia Flash Player Updater 7.0 r 14

Get Flash.exe.manifest

All three dated 9/4/2003

????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good job chipanna, go back and delete all 3 of those. They are old and they are preventing the install of the new ActiveX

that you need.

Important: Was there any of the other ones? Any Flash10d.ocx or FlashUtil10d.exe?

Don't forget to Reboot

Let me know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2009 Dec 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi my name is kim and I was having the same problem with my flash p

layer. I followed the instructions in reply or page #14 as you told another person to do, and went to site i was having the trouble with and it worked finally, then i went to page #19 and followed those instructions and everything was fine i did not have the flash9b.ocx file so i closed that. now i need to know which if any add ons to turn back on...  THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH, i have been installing and uninstalling this flash player for about two weeks and was just about ready to throw in the towel, again  THANK YOU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2009 Dec 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PROBLEM FIXED

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2009 Dec 31, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great you have get to work it.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

2009/12/31 gobabygo41 <forums@adobe.com>

Hi my name is kim and I was having the same problem with my flash p

layer. I followed the instructions in reply or page #14 as you told another

person to do, and went to site i was having the trouble with and it worked

finally, then i went to page #19 and followed those instructions and

everything was fine i did not have the flash9b.ocx file so i closed that.

now i need to know which if any add ons to turn back on... THANK YOU

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH, i have been installing and uninstalling this flash

player for about two weeks and was just about ready to throw in the towel,

again THANK YOU.

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 31, 2009 Dec 31, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi jannpann, Just checking to see if you solved your problems with FP also.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines