Skip navigation
keralesh11
Currently Being Moderated

how to merge two photos

Dec 25, 2009 11:05 AM

I am new to photoshop cs4 extended, I previously had elements 6. I have two photos of dogs and want to merge them into one. How can I do that and keep the proportion of the dogs proper even though the photos are not proportionate? One photo closer up than other, but when I merge I want dog sizes to be proportionate. Can this be done, and if so, how? I really appreciate all your help, you have been wonderful. Thanks.t

Attachments:

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 25, 2009 1:54 PM   in reply to keralesh11

What you want to look into is Panorama Tools

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 25, 2009 2:09 PM   in reply to keralesh11

if you mean like the photo below it is done by

copying the photo of the dog on the left to the image of the dog on the right.

then selecting the layer with the dog on the left and giving it a transparency of 50% in the layers panel (so you can see what you are doing.)

then using the free transform tool and using the corner anchor points and holding the shift key while scaling the image until they look right to you.

then you either use the eraser tool to carefully erase the unwanted background on the top layer with the dog on the left (btw you have to reposition the dog on the left to actually be on the left after you scale the dog,) or you use the pen tool to create a ath defining the dogs outline and turn that into a selection and hit delete to remove the background.

the above requires skill and a little patience.

then you position the dog on the left, if you want you can place it on the right.

then once you are happy with the scale  and position and removal of the background you can adjust the color and tonal quality using the Curves and
    or Hue Saturation adjustments and perhaps the dodge and burn tools as well.

The way you sue the adjustments on just the dog on the left since it is on its own layer is to hold the command (control) key down while clicking on the layers icon in the layers panel which will only select what are active pixels on that layer.

Once you have it selected you can then select an adjustment to make which will be previewed and applied to only that selected area.

You have to select it for each adjustment you make that you want to only apply to that region.

two Dogs.jpg

Very cute couple!

Merry Christmas!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 25, 2009 4:19 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

Good work Wade!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 26, 2009 8:24 AM   in reply to keralesh11

You're welcome.

But I have a question which is  because something is not clear to me.

The description I posted was it clear and helpful to you were you able to do this yourself.

I know I can easily do this and I hope you can use the file but are you able to understand my instructions?

Often times other users say they cannot understand they way I wrote the instructions, so I often do vides?

If you are able to follow the instructions I would love to see how it worked out for you.

I don't know that you will ever have need to do this for yourself but it is good practice and something that is not critical.

Use this well and enjoy by all means, but please give it a try yourself.

If you are not up to yet I appreciate that as well.

Have a great New Year!

I love the dogs give hem each a couple of extra pets for me.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points