Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Problems with importing MOV to Premiere

Dec 30, 2009 12:07 AM

I have some video material that I have been filming with small Aiptec HD videocamera (to SD Card). I have moved material (Quicktime MOV) from SD card to hard-dvire and tryed to import it to Premier (I have Adobe Creative Master Suite) but Premier said NO! File format not supported! Same thing with Adobe Media Encoder. No support!?

Then I tryed conver it to avi and other formats with Total Video Converter. Every time same results: It opens BUT when I bring it to timeline (or preview window) I goes wery fast, many times faster that it should go ja rest of video is only still picture. Video in about 40 min long and all "action" happens in first 5 minutes?!?!

Could it be somekind of synchronizing problem?

When I ´m watching it from hard-drive with media player, it works fine!

Sami Malmberg

sami.malmberg@wippies.fi

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Dec 30, 2009 1:52 AM   in reply to Same-eYes

Hi,

I have some tutorials for Premiere that use MOV files....and they look good, play well....so maybe there are different forms of MOV files..

I am using Premiere CS3.

You might try a shot in the dark....use your conversion program or use this one:

http://www.nchsoftware.com/prism/index.html

which is free....

and convert your MOV file to an MOV file....but give it a different name...so you preserve your original file.

That might give you a better flavor of MOV file, and would work with Premiere.

Rod

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2009 7:34 AM   in reply to Same-eYes

Sami,

The .MOV file extension is but a "wrapper." You need to look inside that wrapper to find out what the CODEC inside is. This ARTICLE will tell you more about wrappers and will tell you ways to peek inside. The CODEC inside is your problem. Getting these files to work might be as simple as installing the appropriate CODEC, or might be tougher, if, say the CODEC is Mac, or PC specific, and you have the other platform.

When you get the necessary CODEC identified, let us know, and someone will be able to help you find it and get it installed on your system - so long as one is available for your system.

Good luck, and Happy New Year,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 30, 2009 1:32 PM   in reply to Same-eYes

Sami,

I Import a lot of .MOV files, but these are all created for me by artists on Mac, and they use the Animation CODEC for these. Those .MOV files work perfectly on my PC version of PrPRo. The .MOV file extension is not the issue, it's the CODEC inside.

Glad that Flash worked for you. When one comes up against a CODEC problem that causes issues, conversion is often the best course.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2009 2:57 AM   in reply to Same-eYes

Do not download codecs. Only Lagarith and HuffYuv are really safe to download. All the rest entail risks, varying from minor nuisances to major catastrophes. Convert your material to MS DV AVI type2 for SD material or to HDV/P2/AVCHD/XDCAM for HD material. Use Google to find a suitable converter.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2009 9:13 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Harm Millaard wrote:

Do not download codecs. Only Lagarith and HuffYuv are really safe to download. All the rest entail risks, varying from minor nuisances to major catastrophes. Convert your material to MS DV AVI type2 for SD material or to HDV/P2/AVCHD/XDCAM for HD material. Use Google to find a suitable converter.

I would add UT version 7.02 to that codec list now.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 1, 2010 11:00 PM   in reply to Same-eYes

Hi Sami -

I just upgraded to a brand new editing system with CS4 (I was previously using Premiere pro 2.0) and I ran into this same problem. On my new system I was not able to import .mov files into the timeline, even though with my older system I had no problems before. I discovered the simple fix of needing to install Quicktime onto my new system - after that install, premiere is happy to import .mov files and it works like a charm. I can't tell from your post if you are running CS4, but if you are, this might be the solution which I know for me saved hours of headaches. Good luck!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points