Skip navigation
Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 5, 2010 7:48 PM   in reply to Gagan464

Sorry that didn't work. You have everything in Flash Folder or at least you did. And you had Shockwave Flash Object in add ons even tho it didn't say Flash10d.ocx. I just cannot think what you could have on your computer that is blocking

all of the websites from recognizing it. Adblock I know but I think that's a Firefox plugin. We haven't went over what else you have in the add ons. What about your Java? There are a couple of Java add ons that many people have problems with and they disable them.

Perhaps tomorrow if you want to take a look at the balance of your add ons.

Since we've uninstalled/installed, you may want to confirm the status of your Flash Folder/and Shockwave Flash Object

not tonight but tomorrow.

Thanks Gagan

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2010 8:02 PM   in reply to Gagan464

You have got to be kidding me! Well, I found a Community Page about Scanner problems. Like we don't have enough.

I'll take a look to see if they have the error code list! LOL  Perhaps tomorrow it will run for you. I guess the regular scanner is where they said it couldn't run on your OS or browser.

They can say what they want about XP and IE6, but with all of the problems I have seen with Vista, IE7 and IE8, no way.

When MS and others secure the OS and the browsers so you can't even use the computer, then what is the point? That

is how I feel about Vista/IE7/IE8. And that is exactly why I am keeping my XPSP3 and IE6! It works and that is what I would tell MS if they asked. :-) But I am going to give them some feedback. I always take their surveys and voice my opinion.

Take a break tomorrow is another day!

You've been a trooper today, thanks for the teamwork!

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2010 8:26 PM   in reply to eidnolb

Hi Gagan, here is the link for the discussion on the Scanner:

http://boards.msn.com/safetyboards/board.aspx?BoardID=225 

It appears a lot of what you encounterd is being discussed. I think it's important to run the Scan. I never used a Registry

Cleaner on my computer. Microsoft I trust so that is why I used the Scanner. Glad I did, it certainly helped my PC.

Hope things get resolved.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2010 6:24 AM   in reply to Gagan464

I think you have 32 bit. I think the 64 bit only is on 64 machines. I had Vista 32 before I bought a new computer and I didn't have trouble viewing pictures on IE.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2010 9:30 AM   in reply to Gagan464

Hi Gagan, do you mean you posted to that old 2007 thread that you referenced yesterday? Or do you mean you started an entirely new thread? This thread is yours. I'm confused:-)

I think it would be a good idea to start with a look at the Flash folder and confirm that those 4 files are still there. Also, the

install.log, take a look at that and see if you can determine anything that could not be accomplished. I was able to see from mine yesterday that when I updated and didn't find the Shockwave Flash Object in my own add ons, that it was because I had forgotten to Reboot:-) So maybe you can glean some info that would be helpful.

After confirming the Flash folder contents, confirm that Shockwave Flash Object is still in the add ons, vs# if there and

if Flash10d.ocx is there or anything of Shockwave Flash Object.

On the add ons: It would not hurt to list them with version numbers if they are listed, include any Toolbars you may use.

Also, check Add/Remove and list what of Adobe is there, include any Java listings.

We determined yesterday that you did not have any trouble uninstalling. The issue is the Shockwave Flash Object and we tried several ways to accomplish that with no success. The only sure way that I know of is the Uninstall. We either have a

block when uninstalling(removing any old SFO ActiveX) or installing the new SFO ActiveX) But that it is the SFO there is no doubt in my mind. So we will target anything that might prevent a clean uninstall or a clean install.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2010 10:12 AM   in reply to Gagan464

I would uninstall flash player, you have too much junk in that flash directory. Don't forget to reboot...

Also clean that registry of yours, I bet its a mess..

Also under View and Manage your Internet Explorer Add ons, make sure you show Currently Loaded Add-Ons, and not show All Add Ons. I have noticed the All Add Ons is bogus, and didn't help me out at all. The Shock Wave Flash Object should show up in the Currently Loaded Add-Ons. The date of that flash object should be 11/2/2009, and of course enabled. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2010 10:15 AM   in reply to Gagan464

Thanks. Ok, I agree on the additional 3 that was not there yesterday. We will take care of them in a little bit.

The good news Gagan, is that you have Shockwave Flash Object 10.0.42.34!!!!! Finally!

Here is what I want you to try: Disable the Java (tm) plug-in 2 SSV Helper in add ons. Then check a website.

If the website does not work, go back and enable it and disable the Symantec BHO Helper and try a website.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2010 10:25 AM   in reply to Nep7tune

Hi Nep7tune, I read your thread, glad you resolved your problem.

Gagan and I worked all day yesterday on this and have it narrowed down now. However, you are incorrect on the date of

the Shockwave Flash Object, Adobe came out in Dec.  the 8th or 10th with the version 10.0.42.34. The date has no affect in any way, the websites are not looking for a date, they are looking for the correct version, which he has.

Just wanted to clear that up, don't want any confusion and get off track.

Regards,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2010 10:36 AM   in reply to Gagan464

Ok, that's fine. However it does not mean that they are not involved. Add ons will and do conflict with ActiveX and also with each other.

Now, let's do this: You have 9 add ons listed. To speed things up and save time, let's number then in the order you listed

them. #1 thur #9

Go back in the Disable #3, 4, 5 and 9.  Then try a website.

Just follow my instructions, what matters is whether they are Disabled or Enabled. Don't get off track:-)

Message was edited by: eidnolb  add comment

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2010 10:41 AM   in reply to eidnolb

Hi...The date of my Shock Wave Flash Object is correct, 11/2/2009, version 10.0.42.34. I just looked at it in the Flash Directory. But you are correct. The file date does not matter, as people have different Operating Systems, Browsers, and the files to download could be on different adobe servers with different dates.. The version is all that matters...

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2010 10:44 AM   in reply to Gagan464

Ok, no problem. Go to Add/Remove and list every Adobe listing, including if there is a DLM(download manager)

Before we start removing files, I need to know what is there.

Thanks  You can just leave the add ons as they are for the moment.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2010 10:46 AM   in reply to Gagan464

It has to show in the currently loaded add ons... The browser is not finding it... I think it might be a registry problem.. I would clean your registry.  

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2010 10:51 AM   in reply to Nep7tune

Nep7tune, with all due respect, we have this under control. You had a problem, you started a thread and solved your

problem. However we don't need confusion like I said. Please just don't continue with your suggestions. If you have a lot of experience with Flash Player, there are many other threads that you could offer your expertise on.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2010 10:56 AM   in reply to eidnolb

Ok,

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2010 11:04 AM   in reply to Gagan464

Thanks Gagan, Have you ever installed Firefox? The 3 additional add ons are FF related and the Adobe Flash Player 10

Plugin in your Add/Remove is the plugin that would be listed for FF.

Oops, I meant the 3 additional listed in the Flash folder.

Message was edited by: eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2010 11:27 AM   in reply to Gagan464

Ok, well then is FF working with the websites? And do you want to keep it?

Each browser is independent of the other, so those entries in the Flash folder should not interfere.

Now I don't know what add ons, plugins or extenstions are  listed for FF. I'd rather not try solving FF and IE issues at the same time. I have before and it is not an easy thing to do.

You have 2 old Java entries that need to be removed. Keep only the Java 6 update 17. Remove the other 2 and Reboot.

The websites look for Java also.

On the add ons and their placement, without permission/currently loaded is not an issue with IE6 which I use. Only the

fact if they are Enabled or Disabled. Since you use IE8, I don't know if where they are placed is an issue or not. If it is, then are you saying that the first 8 of your add ons in IE would not be functioning? Then we would have to conclude that

Adobe, Norton and Java did not know where to place them and didn't know you were using IE8? Or after they are installed, then you the user have to move them? Can you? Is that how it works? I have never heard of this so can't say.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2010 11:53 AM   in reply to Gagan464

I understand your reason for installing FF, but if you really would rather use IE, then let's deal with that. I have an appointment  soon and will be offline until later this evening.

Since we finally have SWO installed with the correct version, I would not do anything that would hamper that. About the placement of the add ons, like I said from all of the threads that I have worked on that was never even discussed. In my opinion if MS, Adobe, Norton and Java don't know where to install, then we are all in trouble. But I don't believe that.

For now I would remove the 2 old Java entries, Reboot and check your websites. When the latest Java is installed, then

only remove the latest version; any other versions on the system have to be removed manually. My understanding also,

is that the oldest Java rules as far as the websites are concerned, as the old Flash Player version and that is why if they

have updated their websites, they will tell you to do so.

Gagan, just saw your new post. Ok I think that is what I would do. Did you remove the entries in Flash Folder other than the 4 related with IE? Also did you remove the Flash Player 10 plugin in Add/Remove? Do that. And of course Reboot.

Then the next thing I would do is this: go into add ons and disable everything except SWO and Java 6 17, and then try the websites.

Thanks

Will touch base with you when I get back.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2010 12:12 PM   in reply to Gagan464

Good job. I wasn't very clear. In the add ons regarding Java, disable only the 2 SSV helper, all other Java you want Enabled.

You are ok on the Flash folder:-)

Thanks, (don't get in trouble) LOL

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2010 12:20 PM   in reply to Gagan464

Gagan, I read for an hour or more late last night on that forum and Microsoft MVP's and Microsoft articles. They all agreed that Cleaning the Registry from XP and forward, it is not necessary and the harm than can be done to a system is too big of a risk. The Scan forum has told everyone to NOT use the Registry Cleaner which is part of the scan. They have reported at last counts over 37 systems damaged due to that. I just received an email this morning that used (not the Saftey Scan

Registry Cleaner) another one last year and her system crashed.

So no, I did use it before I read all of this and won't use it again. I had never before used one and I won't anymore.

There are other safe ways to remove old residue, I'll give you the links later.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2010 1:06 PM   in reply to Gagan464

Ok, good job. Watch out for the spammers, I see they have been on your thread also.

Got to go for sure now.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2010 1:24 PM   in reply to Nep7tune

I did my own research on cleaning the registry, and some experts suggest not to do it. So, I retract my earlier statement on cleaning the registry, as a suggestion on fixing his problem. 

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2010 7:27 PM   in reply to eidnolb

Hi Gagan, Don't know if you are online. I have a couple of questions about the Java add ons. You have 3 of the 1.6.0_17 that are the same. Then you have 2  1.60_17 listings. Then a Java (TM) plugin 2 SSV Helper. Can you list the file #"s for the 5?

Is one of the 5 JQSIEStartDetectorImpl  Class   BHO   file jqs_plugin.dll?

Is one of the 5 isinstalled  Class     wsdetect.dll?

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2010 8:53 PM   in reply to Gagan464

Hi, I was reading:-) I was comparing your Java listings with another user. I will have to check how you get the info. IE8 gives more info but since I don't have it, not sure. Have to check. I need a test computer for IE7 and one for IE8 so I know

where things are. LOL

2 of the Java entries are BHO's browser helper objects and the one (2 SSV) you have disabled- Ok

The one isinstalled Class you also have disabled-Ok. It is an ActiveX Control

In post #57, where you listed your add ons, you said there were 3 for Java 1.6.0_17

Also 1.6.0_17 and 1.6.0_17, and the Java(tm) plugin 2 SSV Helper

A total of 6 Java entries

There are 2 Java add ons that have bugs in them, one is the 2 SSV Helper which you disabled and that is why. I am

tryting to determine if any of the remaining entries is the other one with the bug.

All of the Java entries are either ActiveX Controls or BHO's, anything in the IE browser has an affect, good or bad. Trying to identify the bad.

Can you give me more info on the "ssv helper class"?

I know the file numbers of all of the Java entries that most people receive when they download Java 6 update 17, but I don't know what yours are.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2010 9:26 AM   in reply to Gagan464

Hi Gagan, thank you for clearing Java up. The installed Class ActiveX Control Java entry is "not verified. This is the other

one. I would disable it. However I don't think that this would be the "only" issue, but it may be. Try and see. This one and

the other one (2SSV) that you already disabled, helped another user and they were able to view 2 websites after this.

Let me know. I have a few errands to run and then will be back on. In the meantime, when you first started having these

problems, was it after updating flash only? Did you install any additional Norton products at that time? I did quite a search

on Norton and was amazed at all they install, quite invasive. I reviewed Malwarebytes Log Scans, HJT logs, etc. I may have you do a search on one particular file when I return.

Thanks

Message was edited by: eidnolb  add'l

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2010 12:05 PM   in reply to Gagan464

Hi Gagan,

Can you give me an approximate date when you noticed problems or within a day or two?  We know FP 10.0.42.34 didn't

update, but I know for a fact Norton did, many different times. During that 2 week period after updating Flash Player, did

you install any other software, Windows or IE updates? What about Java, any updates or installations, any additional

anti-virus/spyware, etc?

You had Norton, updated Flash and for 2 weeks no problem. Then youtube advised you to update Flash. Trying to get the

time line correct.

When you updated Norton and renewed your subscription, was the 3 separate programs that you listed all installed at one

time or separately?

Thanks G

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers