Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Wide Screen

Jan 5, 2010 3:09 PM

I captured my footage on a Dv camera on wide screen. So it has the nice black bars top

and bottom when you watch it back.

I have imported them as seperate clips and when you view those clips on Source/Preview panel they still have the widescreen bars framing the moving image.

I have then dragged them onto the timeline to make my movie cut, but when I export the whole project to watch back as one file the widescreen setup is lost and it is just a rectangle set film? Help??

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 5, 2010 3:12 PM   in reply to AllyPugh

Please tell us the make/model of the camera, and how it records Widescreen. Not all 16:9 is the same.

Also, what is your Project/Sequence Preset?

Last, what are the exact Export specs.?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2010 3:59 PM   in reply to AllyPugh

Ally, you have a DV project, so no need for a 1080 Project (designed for high def cameras). I'd be tempted to re-capture in Premiere, as we have no idea how you're getting those clips out of i-Movie (are you "exporting them as Quicktime", or are you dragging and dropping the files straight from the hard drive?).

The specs for your camera (on Amazon at least) says it records in "true" widescreen, which means the Project you want to work in is DV NTSC (or PAL, depending on your country/camera) WIDESCREEN. If all goes well, you SHOULDN'T have black bars top and bottom (as that simply means a whole stack of pixels are just wasted lying around in "black" mode: bad).

So you really need to get all your ducks in row here by:

- making sure your captured clips are in their native format (Type II DV AVI. Harm, correct me if I'm wrong there) preferably by capturing in Premiere

- making sure the project you're working in matches your clips (DV Widescreen)

- making sure you're exporting the type of file you need at the end (and I don't know what that is)

Alas, this part of the Premiere learning curve is STEEP.

Good luck.

MP

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 5, 2010 5:01 PM   in reply to AllyPugh

ah, that goes some way to explain what's going on. your exported clips might have the black bars "built in" due to how they've been loaded into Quicktime and subsequently exported. This isn't ideal and you're not working with as good quality as you could (as you've compressed it coming from i-Movie). you really want to try to capture using Premiere, otherwise you're working with footage wich is already degraded.

Be careful using Players like Quicktime and VLC to judge what's actually in a video clip, as they're designed to maximise the viewing experience. Some players strip the black bars automatically. Some players ignore the pixel aspect ratio. Some guess it.

Also, you need to change how you think about widescreen. It's a ratio. Black bars DO NOT denote "widescreen", they denote LETTERBOXING, which is the result of putting a widescreen video on a playback device which is narrower, for instance, a 4:3 screen. Ideally, the image should fit the device (cinema screen, television, web player et al) exactly, as this means no pixels are being "wasted". Letterboxing is a workaround, NOT something you should be aiming for.

Matthew

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2010 2:27 AM   in reply to AllyPugh

This camera records straight to DVD right ?

Does that create a .vob file ?

If so you can rename the .vob file with .mpg and that will edit fine.

If you could use G-Spot and post a screen capture of your footage before you change it.

Here is a link for G-Spot.

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

Since you PAL you need to use the preset that says DV PAL widescreen if you shoot in widescreen.

Just guessing without seeing what footage you have.

ENjoy:  Glenn

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2010 2:42 AM   in reply to Powered by Design

Ignore my last post.

The specs on the camera are:

Technical Details

Main Specifications
    • Product Description: Canon MD101 - camcorder - Mini DV
    • Product Type: Camcorder - Widescreen Video Capture
    • Dimensions (WxDxH): 5.7 cm x 11.9 cm x 9.2 cm
    • Weight: 375 g
    • Media Type: Mini DV
    • Connections
      • Connector Type: 1 x microphone ¦ 1 x composite video/audio output ¦ 1 x IEEE 1394 (FireWire/i.LINK) ¦ 1 x DC power input

Since you have CS3 make sure you start your project off correctly with a DV PAL widescreen preset.

Using the firewire to capture to premiere should work.

Are you following these steps  ??

GLenn

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2010 3:58 AM   in reply to AllyPugh

Widescreen 48 KHz.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2010 4:08 AM   in reply to AllyPugh

Ally, no need to start again. Start a new project in the right mode (DV Widescreen 48) and then IMPORT your project into it.

But please DO remember you are NOT editing the footage in it's highest quality, original form. You are editing a compressed version of it, courtesy of i-Movie.

MP

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2010 11:04 AM   in reply to Matt Petersen

Hi

Keep in mind while recommending export options the poster LIKES the widescreen LOOK of letterboxing !

<<<<<

I've been as detailed as I can, I am a Graphic Designer and completely new to Moving Image so my apologies

>>>>>

Anything that can get that look and best quality I think would fit the bill.

Rod

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 6, 2010 3:03 PM   in reply to AllyPugh

Fair comment Rod, I did however want to make it clear what letterboxing is, and isn't. The OP is free to choose whichever look she likes!

Ally, the world is your oyster in export options, but your choice largely depends on where this video is headed.

If you're going to YouTube, then pick a high quality WMV or H264 in the 16:9 ratio. If you want to really exagerate the "wideness" of your shot a la cinemascope, then you could bring in some black bars top and bottom, but note that you you won't actually be adding wideness, just giving that "impression".

If you're distributing a file to a known userbase, you could pick a file format that will be most widely supported (like WMV for windows users or QT for Mac users). Again, you "play" with the ratio by using the "crop" function in the exporter.

MP

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points