Skip navigation
Steve Tran
Currently Being Moderated

No consistency on RULERS origin between CS4 Programs

Jan 7, 2010 8:31 AM

Why are the 0 xy coordinates for PS and ID in the top left corner of the page, but in Illustrator, x-0 is at the top left, but y-0 is at the bottom left?!

This makes it really annoying when you're trying to move by typing in -5, and instead of it going up, it goes down.

I know you can re-zero it manually by pulling out the corner to the corner of the page, but isn't there a default for this?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 7, 2010 8:52 AM   in reply to Steve Tran

An age-old question with many discussions and no definitive answers. Please do a search here to find previous topics.

If you believe there should at least be a "switch" in preferences to flip the polarity of the y-axis, you should put in a feature request.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 7, 2010 12:28 PM   in reply to Steve Tran

Here is a recent one: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2275205

I thought X = 0 was to the left, not only at the top; and Y = 0 at the bottom, not only to the left.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2010 9:13 AM   in reply to Steve Tran

Why are the 0 xy coordinates for PS and ID in the top left corner of the page, but in Illustrator, x-0 is at the top left, but y-0 is at the bottom left?!

Why aren't drawing programs and page-assembly programs identical in every regard?!

Why do we even have separate drawing programs and page-assembly programs?!

I swap back and forth between drawing programs and page assembly programs all day long every day, and have no problem whatsoever dealing with their Y axis directions. But the default for a drawing program SHOULD be the Cartesian convention, even in drawing programs which offer the option (which Illustrator does not).

JET

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 9, 2010 9:50 AM   in reply to JETalmage

two words:

irrelevant postscript

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)