Skip navigation
Owen Carey
Currently Being Moderated

completing import/previews with unreadable files

Jan 11, 2010 12:46 PM

I was just importing last night's job of 2500 images shot during a theater production into lightroom 2.6 - 64 bit on my 8 core Mac pro tower running 16 Gigs of RAM. As I often do after such a production - I return to the studio - move all the files from the cards into a single folder on my desktop then import them all into lightroom creating copies of the RAW files and the catalogue itself onto redundant hard drives. I also always create 1:1 previews for quick and easy viewing at any point in time. It's usually late in the evening, and I set Lightroom about this task while I go home to sleep, then begin my edit in the morning with catalogue built and previews made.

HOWEVER-- after the catalogue was imported but BEFORE lightroom began making previews, lightroom posted a dialogue box on my screen advising me that a file was somehow unreadable -- either corrupt, or the wrong kind of file, COMPLETELY STOPPING THE TASK OF BUILDING THE PREVIEWS.

So I returned in the morning, no previews were made -- and two hours later I'm not even 1/2 way through building the previews. SO-- ADOBE people -- or any lightroom users out there -- is there any way for Lightroom to continue building previews instead of waiting for me to respond to this dialogue box first. Lightroom assumes apparently that I at my computer to respond to this dialogue box.

It seems like such a horrible waste of my time when I'm under deadlines to get this work done. I'm happy for the reminder that one of my files was a movie file or a corrupt file or whatever -- please lightroom... sequester these file on my desktop somewhere and finish the job!

Does anybody know if there is a preference I can click on or off to prevent this from happening. Trying to edit large files that are 10- 21 megapixels and waiting for 1:1 previews to open takes a long time of and by itself -- but waiting and extra 4 hours to have previews built that should have been made while was asleep is something that should NOT be happening. I'm about to make two changes that should speed up my workflow i.e: install a fast ATI Radeon HD 4870 with 512MB of RAM, plus upgrade to snow leopard to take better advantage of the 8 cores of processors that my machine has. But even these upgrades would be for nought when Lightroom STOPS the process in it's tracks.

HELP-- SOMEONE -- PLEASE!!!

owen carey

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 12, 2010 3:42 PM   in reply to Owen Carey

Having had similar a experience on at least one occasion I can feel your pain. Alas, I don't think that a  lot can/will be done to change what Lr does when traps what it believes to be a corrupt or unreadable image. I'm certainly not aware of a preference that would allow Lr to bypass such images.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 17, 2010 10:35 AM   in reply to Owen Carey

I just finished a folder sync with Lightroom 3 and also ran in to the same error.

It would be nice to move the Error Dialog box to display after everything is done, telling you all the errors it found.

Having the coming back after letting it run all night just to wait for a hour or more for it to build previews is unproductive.

Bill.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points