Skip navigation
railcrew2
Currently Being Moderated

saved file has wrong time-stamp

Jan 11, 2010 4:36 PM

I have Dreamweaver MX2004 installed on two PC's, both have this problem... (both Win XP home sp3).. When I save a file with DW the time is 2 hours ahead of my system clock. Even if I just upload (FTP) a file with correct time... it is changed to 2 hours ahead. I find this odd is there a setting or tweak somewhere? it only happens with DW.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 11, 2010 5:09 PM   in reply to railcrew2

You mentioned the file is uploaded when this is evident.  Is the time you are speaking of reported from your host server--if so, the host server will show its relative time zone time?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2010 6:07 PM   in reply to Ned Murphy

I host a site in a timezone which is 1 hour ahead of where I live.

If I upload a file timestamped locally at 10.24am, the timestamp on the remote server shows 11.24am.

Is that similar to what you're seeing?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2010 6:27 PM   in reply to railcrew2

I have the same situation.  I live on the east coast USA and my host server is out in Texas.  The timestamps assigned to the files when they are uploaded are in Texas time.   The timestamp you will see for the remote files is relative to the server's time zone.  You have to remember that the file is being copied to a new location and that new location will record the current time for the timestamp.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2010 6:56 PM   in reply to railcrew2

Yes I have the same issue and its driving me crazy as I am trying to Develop a complex site and it wont read my current stylesheet.css as everytime I upload the date is changed to the day before, so my browser doesnt load the new file. And as with the orginal post my local file has its date reverted as I upload!!!

There has to be someway with DW or with the server settings that you can specify YOUR LOCAL time stamp as the one to use...

Also using MX 2004

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2010 9:12 PM   in reply to railcrew2

I'm confused.

The reply to Ned said: "after uploading it (using DW), it is changed 2 hours ahead. "

To be clear, are you saying that:

a) the file saved on your local hard drive is timestamped correctly

b) when you upload the same file, it is timestamped 2 hours ahead when viewed in Remote View in DW's File Panel?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2010 9:20 PM   in reply to John Waller

My situation is

1. Make a change and save file localy (appears with correct time stamp)

2.Put (not sync) file to server and as it uploads Local time stamp changes to match remote file.

3.Browser obviously reads old file even after lots of refreshing

4.A few hours later Browser reads new file (date still appears old)

Like the original post says, why does the remote server change your local file to match it, shouldnt it be the other way around?

btw. my files are appearing with about a 19hour delay in the time stamp.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2010 9:28 PM   in reply to railcrew2

PLEASE IGNORE MY PREVIOUS REPLY. THE HIDEOUS JIVE FORUM SOFTWARE WON'T ALLOW ME TO EDIT IT.

Upon further research this seems to be flawed logic (not a bug since it works as designed) in the timestamp behaviour in MX 2004 which changed in subsequent versions of DW (v.8 onwards)

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/400/kb400972.html#how_dw_determines_change

"So that Dreamweaver MX 2004 knew for certain that the remote and local files were identical, Dreamweaver MX 2004 set the local time stamp to match the remote time stamp after every put or get. This led to a usability issue since you now don't really know when a file was last updated locally. Dreamweaver 8 no longer alters the date/time stamp of the local file to match the remote date/time stamp after putting/getting so it will reflect the local time when the file was last saved."

I'm afraid that I cannot see any way of changing this behaviour without upgrading to CS4. I cannot see Adobe issuing a patch for MX 2004 since the code was created back in the days when Macromedia owned DW.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2010 9:28 PM   in reply to John Waller

Thanks John

Good to know what the issue is. I guess updating the software is the solution. I guess for now I will just use cpanel to upload my files.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 13, 2013 7:15 AM   in reply to John Waller

I'm going crazy about this too so glad I found this discussion.

I have the same problem described in a) and b) and know it's a Dreamweaver problem because my Flash FXP shows correct timestamp as localdrive to.

I have sites made with Dreamweaver MX 2004 and now CS4 but before I sometimes used both. A couple of years ago I deleted MX 2004 and also used http://mm-exporter.joexx.de/

So have anyone found a solution, please?

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2013 12:30 AM   in reply to tinem

Maybe I should clarify my earlier post 12. I'm referring to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2511434#2511434 post 7.

a) the file saved on your local hard drive is timestamped correctly

b) when you upload the same file, it is timestamped 2 hours ahead when viewed in Remote View in DW's File Panel?

Would it help if I uninstall CS4 and ALL my sites and install again and make ALL sites again?

Sorry if I post incorrectly I'm not used to use it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points