Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Issues with Shockwave 11.5.2.602 / 11.5.6.606 MSI installer

Mar 8, 2010 7:18 AM

<UPDATE 8/3/09> Nearly all of the issues mentioned below are still present in the MSI installer for 11.5.6.606 - the only one that Adobe have fixed is the one where the MozillaPlugins 'Version' value is left blank by the MSI by default - this is now created correctly, but all of the other issues remain.

Personally I have given up trying to use this MSI package to deploy Shockwave until Adobe get their act together - instead I am using a wrapper to wrap the Shockwave executable inside an MSI file and deploying it that way, although this is not ideal.

I have created an MST file which will fix the MSI installer for version 11.5.6.606, which I will post to another forum shortly, but I am not planning to keep it updated for future versions as I don't really have the time.

Hi,

I've tried submitting the following via the Adobe Customer Support portal and via the Feature Request/Bug Report form, but the first told me that I needed to 'get in touch with Adobe Enterprise Solutions team for getting help' and that 'to get in touch with them you have to purchase a contract', and the second resulted in a bounced email address saying that 'wish-shockwave@macromedia.com' 'does not exist at the organization this message was sent to'.

In short, attempting to contact Adobe to report issues with their installers sucks, and I am posting this here in the vain hope that someone at Adobe might read this message and possibly forward it to the relevant people. Some of the issues have already been reported here on this forum, but some of them are new, and I guess others might be interested in them too.

--

Hi,

I would like to report some issues with most recent version of the Shockwave installer, available in MSI format from the following location:
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?k=4E6102EB-DA7C-279 5-C744826EFDE2A098&loc=en_us

This is the installer for version 11.5.2.602, with a digital signature dated 06 November 2009 10:52:21

When downloading this version of the installer in Windows Installer (MSI) format, the following issues manifest themselves, most of which are not a problem when using the Full EXE installer available from the same page.

First of all, when installing the MSI file using Group Policy Software Deployment, if you log on to the computer after the MSI file has been deployed and view a web page that contains Shockwave content, you receive the following errors in the Windows event log:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1004
Date:  16/12/2009
Time:  16:51:23
User:  CRGS\DefaultUser
Computer: ITO01
Description:
Detection of product '{7D0F2155-D7D3-42CE-903F-684ADD77FF89}', feature 'Adobe_Shockwave_Player_', component '{E89F323D-7BDB-46E1-A0FD-6227821F94EA}' failed.  The resource 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Application Data\Adobe\' does not exist.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date:  16/12/2009
Time:  16:51:23
User:  CRGS\DefaultUser
Computer: ITO01
Description:
Detection of product '{7D0F2155-D7D3-42CE-903F-684ADD77FF89}', feature 'Adobe_Shockwave_Player_' failed during request for component '{3D3697FC-DB90-46D8-9ED4-5D54B4901F62}'

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

If you are logged on as an Administrator, then the computer will immediately attempt to 'repair' the Adobe Shockwave Player installation in order to create the missing folder 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Application Data\Adobe\', which leads to a significant delay in the initialization of the Shockwave content on the web page. If you are logged on as a non-Administrator, the errors will still appear, but the 'repair' operation will fail due to insufficient permissions to create the above folder.

I have done some testing and it seems as if this problem can be easily resolved by removing the code from the installer which tells it to create an empty folder in the 'Application Data' folder called 'Adobe\Shockwave Player 11'. This code seems to be entirely unnecessary, as no files are created inside this folder as part of the installation, and I have removed it successfully from my own copy of the MSI without it causing any issues. I have found some other people who are also experiencing this problem in the following forum post:
http://forums.adobe.com/message/2379350 (post number 8)
and since this 'repair' operation causes all customised registry settings to be reset back to defaults as part of the repair, it would be very helpful if this 'feature' could be removed from future versions.

Secondly, there are a number of registry keys which are created incorrectly by the MSI installer when the above 'repair' operation takes place, which need to be corrected to prevent further issues from occurring:

Under '[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{1F3CB77D-D339-49e0-B8E4-FECD6D6F8CB8}\Loca lServer32]', the 'default' value is set to the following by the MSI:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Adobe\SHOCKW~1\SWHELP~1.EXE"
(Please note that there is a double quotation mark at the end of the value, but not at the beginning)
Whereas the executable installer creates the value as follows:
"C:\WINDOWS\system32\Adobe\Shockwave 11\SwHelper_1152602.exe"
According to a forum post (
http://forums.adobe.com/message/2379350, post 15), this causes DCOM errors when Shockwave is launched, if the MSI 'repair' has taken place as described above.
The above registry value should be set to the following in the installer's Registry table:
"[INSTALLDIR]Shockwave 11\SwHelper_1152602.exe"
so that the MSI installer works the same as the executable one.

Under '[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{6EF568F4-D437-4466-AA63-A3645136D93E}\1. 0\0\win32]', the 'default' value is set to the following by the MSI:
Adobe\SHOCKW~1\SWHELP~1.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Adobe\Shockwave 11\SwHelper_1152602.exe
Also, under '[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{6EF568F4-D437-4466-AA63-A3645136D93E}\1. 0\HELPDIR]', the 'default' value is set to the following by the MSI:
Adobe\SHOCKW~1\
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Adobe\Shockwave 11\
Once again, the above registry values should be set to the following in the installer's Registry table to fix the issue:
[SystemFolder]Adobe\Shockwave 11\SwHelper_1152602.exe
[SystemFolder]Adobe\Shockwave 11\

Under '[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{166B1BCA-3F9C-11CF-8075-444553540000}]', the 'default' value is NOT SET by the MSI by default:
Shockwave ActiveX Control
This value should be set in the installer's Registry table to fix the issue.

Under '[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Macromedia\Shockwave 10\location\common]', the 'default' value is set to the following by the MSI:
Macromed\common\
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\common\
Also, under '[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Macromedia\Shockwave 10\location\coreplayer]', the 'default' value is set to the following by the MSI:
Macromed\Shockwave 10\
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Shockwave 10\
Also, under '[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Macromedia\Shockwave 10\location\coreplayerxtras]', the 'default' value is set to the following by the MSI:
Macromed\Shockwave 10\xtras\
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Shockwave 10\xtras\
The above registry values should be set to the following in the installer's Registry table to fix the issue:
[SystemFolder]Macromed\common\
[SystemFolder]Macromed\Shockwave 10\
[SystemFolder]Macromed\Shockwave 10\xtras\

The MSI installer does not create '[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.dcr]', '[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.dir]', or '[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.dxr]'
Wherease the executable installer creates all three of these keys and populates them all with the following 'default' value:
"Content Type"="application/x-director"
These keys and values should be set in the installer's Registry table to fix the issue.

The MSI installer creates a value under the following registry key:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Op tionalComponets\SwDir]
However this registry key is obviously misspelt (missing an 'n' in 'OptionalComponets') and should read as follows:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\Op tionalComponents\SwDir]
This key name needs to be changed in the installer's Registry table to fix the issue (also pointed out in the following forum post:
http://forums.adobe.com/message/2379350 (post number 10)).

Under [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@adobe.com/ShockwavePlaye r], the 'Version' value is left blank by the MSI by default:
This registry value should be set to the correct version in the installer's Registry table to fix the issue.

Finally, the MSI installer creates a number of registry values under the following path:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@adobe.com/ShockwavePlayer \Mime Types]
These values are *in addition* to the values created under the following path:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@adobe.com/ShockwavePlayer \MimeTypes]
(Note there is no space between 'Mime' and 'Types' in the second key path)
The executable installer *only* creates registry keys under the 'MimeTypes' key, and it seems as if this is the correct formatting for the key (also pointed out in the following forum post:
http://forums.adobe.com/message/2379350 (post number 11)).
The unnecessary 'Mime Types' registry keys and values should be removed from the installer's Registry table to avoid any potential issues.

I am sorry that this is such a long list, but it seems as if a number of things have been changed in the transition from 11.5.1.601 to 11.5.2.602, and it would be very helpful if these changes could be put back to how they were before, so that the MSI and the executable installers function in the same way as much as possible.

Message was edited by Borgquite - added 11.5.6.606 update

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 6, 2010 11:28 AM   in reply to Borgquite

Chris, I hope you are still monitoring this thread!  I was glad to find it.  I had not noticed issues with 11.5.2, but did experience the issues with 11.5.6.  I noticed that after the "repair" runs the first time I make use of the Shockwave Player, adobe.com/shockwave/welcome now reports I have v11.5.6r471 instead of 11.5.6r606!  I have been frustrated with a variety of issues with managing Adobe software in a corporate environment for years now.  From a company the size of Adobe, I would expect better!

Anyway, I downloaded your 2nd MST.  I did not yet try redeploying via Active Directory Group Policy the 11.5.6.606 MSI with this MST applied.  Instead, I was trying to get an unmanaged installation of Shockwave Player on a machine that will not be on our network so I can use that machine as the base for an image for dozens of similar machines I have to deploy.  It did not seem to work for me!  I was still trying to use the MSI with your MST (rather than the EXE) for two reasons: 1) I like to have one installation type that I use universally, and 2) Based on the links you provided in your last post that seem to indicate the EXE does not include all of the features of the MSI in regards to compatibility with older-version Shockwave content.

The first method I attempted was to load the 11.5.6.606 MSI in Orca, then did Apply Transform and selected your transform that I had downloaded, the did File > Save Transformed As and saved a newly named MSI.  When I tried to install by double-clicking this new MSI, I got an "Error 2356: Could not locate cabinet in stream: Data1.cab."

The second method I attempted was to run "msiexec /i sw_11.5.6r606_lic_full_installer.msi /t FixMSIErrors.mst" which gave me no errors but did not seem to apply the MST because I still got the Start menu entry.

I appreciate any help anyone can offer.

I'd appreciate it even more if Adobe would address these issues directly!  Right now, this issue is holding up my deployment of 37 PC's, and I'm considering going ahead and dropping Shockwave Player from our configuration.

David Patterson

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2010 5:50 AM   in reply to Borgquite

Thanks for the quick response!  Using TRANSFORMS= instead of /t did the trick!  Apparently msiexec's own command-line help indicating /t for transforms is wrong.  I omitted the /qb so I could get the default full user interface.  Digital signature on my copy of the MSI is 13 January 2010 02:30:46; I figure the time difference from what you stated is perhaps just due to us being in different time zones.

|
    Mark as:
    May 13, 2010 6:28 AM   in reply to Borgquite

I just downloaded the new 11.5.7.609 MSI installer.  It opened it in Orca and just checked a few of the issues documented in previous posts to this thread and - no surprise - it looks like Adobe has done nothing to fix any of these.  I submitted a bug report about the v11.5.7.609 MSI installer, referencing this forum thread.  Based on past experience I'm not expecting Adobe to fix any of these issues any time soon, so I'm hoping Chris, who seems to understand the installer behavior far better than me, will be so kind as to do Adobe's job for them and provide an updated MST that will fix the issues in the latest MSI.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 13, 2010 8:53 AM   in reply to Borgquite

Adobe released 11.5.8.612on August 24th.  Were any more of these items resolved?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 14, 2010 8:48 AM   in reply to nphersonmn

I am interested in this, too!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers