Skip navigation
cjanelle
Currently Being Moderated

Uninstallation methods

Jan 21, 2010 12:20 PM

The last time I had to deploy a Shockwave patch on a bunch of computers, I believe I called unwise.exe to uninstall Shockwave. Perhaps I'm just overlooking that file this time? Otherwise, how are the rest of you uninstalling mass installations of Shockwave in order to deploy this new version?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 21, 2010 1:59 PM   in reply to cjanelle

Can you not uninstall via the Control Panel's Add/Remove Programs option?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2010 4:30 PM   in reply to cjanelle

Adobe provides an uninstaller for Shockwave: sw_uninstaller.exe, which can be run silently with the param:  /silent

I use this to uninstall old versions before installing new updates for my users.  However, Adobe is asking  us to restart after the uninstall prior to installing the new release.  I haven't had a chance to thoroughly test/review the uninstall for 11.5.2.602 yet.  Does anyone have any idea why the restart is required?  What file could possibly still be in use that would require the restart?

Could it be that it is only necessary for folks that have installed the on-line version direct from Adobe.com?  Perhaps it won't be necessary for those of us who installed the full-off-line version for our users?

I'll start digging into this but, any advance notice would be appreciated (Adobe -- are you listening??)

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2010 6:35 AM   in reply to cjanelle

i have @ 1600 computer i need to uninstall this on and i have downloaded and tested the sw_uninstaller.exe

program.

i tried it with the /s or /silent switches and it appears to run but shockwave still show up in add remove programs.

i then manually ran it and it said shockwave was succesffully uninstalled. i then went to the shockwave welcome page to see if shockwave was working. i then got prompted to install shockwave because it was missing.

however shockwave is still listed in add remove programs. i even rebooted and it still shows up.

i think it a bug in adobe shockwave uninstall program. hopefully they will fix it and release a new one.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2010 7:33 AM   in reply to dbjr63x

Be sure that you are running this SW_Uninstaller.exe as Administrator.  I've tested for my installations (11.5.2.602 installed as System) and the uninstaller ran successfully for me (as system) and removed the add/remove control panel as well.

When I monitored the uninstall and restart procedures, I do see Pending file renames to remove a temp dir/file in the user's profile: \~nsu.tmp

Perhaps this is the reason for the restart requirement?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 22, 2010 7:45 AM   in reply to NLee1234

i was running it with local adminstrator rights and it was working the way i des

cribed.

i will set the installer to run via SCCM and see what the results are when it runs with SYSTEM rights.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2010 8:18 AM   in reply to dbjr63x

Did you deploy Shockwave via exe or msi? I have run into the described issue trying to run the uninstaller exe, which fails to uninstall SW if I've applied the msi.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2010 8:21 AM   in reply to UnresponsiveBeeVictim

it most likely a mix of people installing from the adobe website and some from SCCM (that is the MSI).

my testing is from the shockwave.msi install. i have not tried to install it from the website and then run the uninstall and see what happens.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2010 8:30 AM   in reply to dbjr63x

Under HKLM\SOFTWARE\Adobe\Shockwave 11\InstallType you can see which they've applied. Can you write and deploy a script to run the sw_uninstaller.exe for those with the LicensedEXE, and run the /uninstall switch for those with the LicensedMsi?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 4, 2010 11:58 AM   in reply to Sean_Wilson

Yes you cant

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers