Skip navigation
robertgravesly
Currently Being Moderated

Exporting with embedded frame counter?

Jan 21, 2010 1:56 PM

I have a client who wants to review my edit, but she needs a reference counter visible on the footage so she can make constructive notes, and reference specific moments in the rough cut.

How do I export/encode an flv file which has a visible frame counter embedded in the corner of the frame?  Can I also make the time code of the original video files visible too, also for reference?

Thanks Kindly,

Robert

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 21, 2010 2:01 PM   in reply to robertgravesly

Use the timecode effect on a transparent track before exporting.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2010 2:20 PM   in reply to robertgravesly
    Can I also make the time code of the original video files visible too, also for reference?

I believe that this will be more difficult. One could do two Timecodes, per Harm's suggestion. However for this second, one would have to reset the 00;00;00;00 so that it matches that of the In Point of each Clip. I am not sure that the Timecode Effect in PrPro can do the reset (and certainly not automatically), but wonder whether the Timecode Effect in AfterEffects can. I have not tried it. It would still be quite a bit of work, but not impossible. Maybe some AE guru can comment, or maybe there is something in the Timecode Effect in PrPro, that I am just unaware of. Gotta' go poke around it, as I have only used it per your first request.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2010 2:27 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Just by looking at the Timecode Effect, you can also apply it to each Clip and it WILL automatically display for that Clip.

Just combine that with Harm's way with the Transparent Clip, and position them in different parts of the screen.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I have only used Harm's way, or for an Exported file with all Clips combined. Learned something new here.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2010 2:34 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

One last comment. If you apply the Timecode Effect to a Clip, where there is Motion>Position, the Timecode display will animate with it.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2010 2:35 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

For the media timecode, you need to add the Timecode effect to the clip, as Hunt said.  But you need to set the effect to Media (the default is Clip), otherwise it will show you the TC relative to the in/out points of the clip in the sequence.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 21, 2010 2:39 PM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Unfortunately that is one of the drawbacks of using HDVSplit for HDV material: Media will always start with 00:00:00:00 as does clip.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2010 7:36 AM   in reply to robertgravesly

Robert,

I haven't figure out yet how to make the camera's own footage time code visible, which would be an absolute identifier regarding the origination of clips within the long original .avi file.

Some cameras will "burn" in the counter. Be careful, if yours will allow for this, as you are not likely to want a TimeCode burned into the footage. We probably get more requests for ways to "remove" such, once done. Now, if one could utilize metadata, and turn-on/turn-off display in the footage, as would be required...

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 23, 2010 7:48 AM   in reply to robertgravesly

What is the format and codec of your source files?  Did you read my post #5?

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points