• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bookmarks not in PDF where they should be

New Here ,
Jan 21, 2010 Jan 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been having this problem with Frame 8 as well as in 9. When I generate my PDF, my bookmarks are not all where they should be. The will not always appear in the order of the pages, and they will be listed under other headings. An example would be, if I had 3 top level tags and each one had 5 things listed under them, When I generate, I might get 6 bookmarks under the first, 4 under the second, and 5 under the third, instead of five under each one.

I have done everything I can think of, and cannot come up with a reason why it is doing this? Any ideas? I can always send a section to someone so they can actually see what I am talking about. At this point, I am not 100% sure if it is Frame or Acrobat, but I am leaning towards Frame.

Thanks

TOPICS
PDF output

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 21, 2010 Jan 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you set the Bookmark levels (i.e. indenting them in the correct hierachy) in the PDF Setup? See: http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FrameMaker/9.0/Using/WSC499FA78-8A12-4222-A5D9-D5DC41DAA0C9.html#WS1BBDC...

Are the selected paratags all in the same flow?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2010 Jan 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't a level problem, it is a position problem. Meaning it is not at what level they are indented, it is that they will move to be under a different level/head/tag (whatever you want to call it) than they should be. And I will also say, which I need to start prefacing, I have been using Frame for about 15 years, so I am not new to things.

I have done it both ways, with the paratags as part of the same flow, and not part of the flow. Basically, think of an engineering drawing, where the main flow would be the drawing, and the other paratags are coming from the title blocks around the edge of the drawing. At this point I am stumped, since it doesn't work either way. So I am not positive whether it is Frame that is messing it up, or Acrobat when it is being distilled.

I would be more than happy to send the file to someone to look at and see if you have any success, or if there is something wrong, tell me what it is.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a huge stab in the dark, but if one connects text frames manually, especially text frames several pages away, then it might be possible to create a flow of text from page 1 to page 4 to page 7 to page 3 to page 2, etc. The resulting bookmarks and the TOC would not be in page order but in flow order.

Does the TOC have the same order as the bookmarks?

Again, a real stab in the dark.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the text frames are autoconnect and flow from the start of the document to the end. That is when they are in the same flow. When they are not connected in the same flow, but are different flows, I get the same results. That's why at this point I am wondering if Acrobat is doing something to it when it is distilling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you're using multiple text flows?

Are the bookmarks in order within the flows?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is something I took over from someone. It was set up with multiple text flows, and the bookmarks did not work correctly. I changed it to be one text flow, and yes, the paratags that need to be bookmarked are in order within the text flow, and that does not work either. Each document is it's own file, but when the PDF is generated, it will move bookmarks from under the file name/tag they should be under, to the one above it. Or sometimes they are in the correct document, but out of order, even though they are in order in the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2011 Mar 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are having the same problem. Did you find a solution?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 31, 2011 Mar 31, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. It's just with my last 2 appendices. Appendix G and H switch in the PDF file, but not in the

TOC. I've tried manually connecting the text flows and disconnecting them, but nothing changes the PDF. ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2012 Jul 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone figured out how to fix this? I am having the same issue, my company wants our manuals to look a certain way, so I put a text frame with specific text at the top of the page to get the bookmarks from distiller to work right. It was going great doing it that way until here recently, my bookmarks are now all out of order, I have to be very careful about watching them, it seems the first level will include the everything from the second level and below for the next chapter. I recently decided to try and change the way I generated the bookmarks, by deleting the text frame and puttin gth especific text elsewhere. That fixed it in most places, but now the very last two chapters are all whacky, I have checked and double checked flows, made physical changes in the structures, and researched for days. This is the only thread anywhere that I could find anything resembling my problem. Any Idea as to how to fix this, or whats causing this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it a structure doc ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly I don’t know, I think its un-structured, the only reason I don’t know exactly is because I have only had to use what was already set up here, so I haven’t seen both versions. From what I found online un-structured has paragraph formats and structured has elements. I use paragraphs so unless there is a better way of knowing exactly that I couldn’t find in a 2 minute search, I think its un-structured.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried that in Frame 10?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My company decided we didn’t need to upgrade from FrameMaker 9

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To change bookmark levels for the included paragraphs, select a paragraph tag and click a Bookmark Level arrow. To change the level of all items, Shift-click a Bookmark Level arrow. If the indent for a tag exceeds six levels, n> precedes the paragraph tag. n indicates the indentation level of the paragraph tag

Harpreet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem was never resolved as it existed. And I had the same issue in Frame 10. If I remember correctly though, after I started using Frame 10, I tried using the Add Group and Add Folder choices in the book. This seemed to fix the problem by basically creating a hierarchical structure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any idea if that translates into a fix, or at least work around for Frame 9? Sorry my FrameMaker skills are sort of limited as what I do I have been told is extremely basic use of FrameMaker

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Boomark Expanded throught Level selected as "None",if yes try and change it to "Default" and see if that works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was a number ” 268435455” in there, I changed it to default, but the when I created the PDF the problem is still there. I am in the process of re-creating those Appendix’s from scratch just to see if it is a possible formatting issue or some sort.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2015 Dec 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fixed this in a book by selecting the digits "268435455" and manually entering "Standard" (the German default entry). Afterwards the PDF I created had all bookmarks collapsed as intended.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been a while since I tried it, but I do believe it fixed my problem. And I think that Frame 9 has those same choices in the book window? Been on 10 for some time now, so I can't remember for sure if it does. Now granted. my manuals were broken up into many smaller files which of course were all included in the book file. So when I built my book using Groups/Folders, I would create a Group/Folder for each chapter, then add the files for that chapter into that group/folder. I am saying each because I cannot remember for sure which it was. They act a little different, so you would have to read up on each and see which one you need to use.

It also fixed a problem I was having with number, where the setting kept reverting back to Continue Numbering from Previous for everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it might be the Flow issue

Zoom out the Frame to 25% to as as many pages as necessary.

Click in the flow you want to check and choose Edit > Select All In Flow. The flow is highlighted, showing how it traverses the pages of the document.

There might be some those have become disconnected:-

Select the first frame.

Select the second frame.

Format > Customize Layout > Connect Text Frames.

Create the pdf again .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything in my all of my manuals are on flow A, I did try at one time to change the flow of those three chapters, making each chapter have its own unique flow, however it didn’t fix anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is NOT a flow issue. I literally spent days trying to figure this problem out, and it is not a flow issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have re-created the Appendix C chapter that I was having problems with, and everything seems to be working great now, I don’t know if that means it was a problem in the formatting or overall structure of the chapter, or what. I guess that’s what I get for using someone elses leftovers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines