Skip navigation
taparent
Currently Being Moderated

CS2 on Windows 7?

Jan 25, 2010 4:06 PM

CS2 will install fine, and then I go to pull it up and I get the following error message: "Your Adobe Photoshop username, organization, or serial number is missing or invalid. The application cannot continue and must now exit." Customer support assured me that my serial number will work on another computer, up to 2. This is just my second computer. Is this a compatibility issue with Windows 7? I'd really appreciate anyone who helps me to get this resolved.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 25, 2010 4:24 PM   in reply to taparent

I would expect that the licensing subsystem is not Windows 7 compatible.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2010 5:34 AM   in reply to taparent

I have exactly the same problem and was going to post the same! My computer died and have got a new with Windows 7. Having paid £1000 4 years ago, it seems a bit of a con that I can no longer use it.

If you have Windows 7 Premium or Ultimate however, these have the ability to run in Windows XP mode.

See   http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx 

as it says... "Windows 7 has several built-in tools to help with application compatibility and Windows XP applications should be installed directly on Windows 7. Windows XP Mode runs some older productivity applications that may not run otherwise on Windows 7."

So you upload this programme from the link and as long as your hardware is compatible, then you should be able to run CS2? There is another small detectio programme to see if your computer has such a processor,

"Windows Virtual PC requires processors capable of hardware-assisted virtualization with AMD-V™, Intel® VT or VIA® VT turned on in the BIOS."

Except of course, my nice shiney £600 computer doesnt have virtualization, so I dont know if if it works (I am running Windows 7 Ultimate).

So now I dont know what to do...

Ideas?

Adobe support just said CS2 is not compatible with Windows 7.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2010 6:20 AM   in reply to taparent

I suspect you have a 64 bit operating system.

You can try this: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/325/325739.html

It's very important to keep in mind that CS2 is totally unsupported. If you're using this software for business purposes you should consider upgrading to CS4 if wish to use Windows 7.

Re: XP mode. This is only available to Pro and Ultimate and is hardly a replacement for using supported software.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2010 9:05 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Thanks - it has worked!  and all because it didnt like brackets!  It's a funny old world... ;-)

Indeed CS4 needs buying at some point in the future, just not yet...

Many thanks for your reply - I hope others can read and benefit from this.

Keep up the sterling work.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2010 1:25 PM   in reply to Ravinous2

Hello Ravinous2,

It is always best to check with the software manufacturer FIRST. They will tell you if they have tested the product and the version, as well as whether or not it will work with Windows 7.
    Check out the Windows 7 Compatibility site: (There you will find out about hardware and software compatibility.)
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/en-us/default.aspx
    There is a pulldown from which you can choose "hardware" and "software".

There are also some great articles, instructional videos and such to help with your Windows 7 at our Springboard site:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/default.aspx

In any event a lot of the times, Vista drivers will work in lieu of Windows 7 drivers, however, it's not 100%!

As stated previously, it's best to have the Windows 7 certified drivers installed.
    Thanks again,
    John M.
    Microsoft Windows Client Support

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2011 11:32 AM   in reply to taparent

TO ADOBE:

Why you don't want to help the costumers. They just want to use your products "the legal way". Failing to help them, when it is possible, just opens more doors to piracy. Or is that you technicians are that good at all and don't have the knowledge to help people with this simple mater? That makes you (Adobe) look worst. Shame on you!

TO ALL THE PEOPLE HAVING THIS PROBLEM - there is a simple solution:

1. If you installed Adobe CS2 before in that computer, you must uninstall CS2 completely (not just PhotoShop) and specify that the preferences are to be removed as well.

2. Set the installer (setup.exe) to "Windows XP Service Pack 3 comparability" (right click installer and select option to do this), and Run as Admin.

3. When you re-install, the installer will give the default install location as something like "C:/Program File (x86)/Adobe". Replace "C:/Program File (x86)/Adobe" with "C:/Program~2/Adobe".

4. Finish your installation and you're all set.

Have a fun time with it!

TO THE TECHNICIANS:

There is the answer to that problem... learn it and help the people.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2011 12:05 AM   in reply to Freedom4all

I just followed the advice in your post.  Your solution works well, except that your forward slashes should actually be backslashes, so...

Freedom4all wrote:

Replace "C:/Program File (x86)/Adobe" with "C:/Program~2/Adobe".

Should be:

C:\Program~2\Adobe

Just to avoid confusing anyone...!  Credit to you for posting this useful tip.

The problem occurs in Windows 7 x64 because there are two Program Files folders - one for 64 bit applications, and one for 32 bit applications.  The Adobe installer tries to install CS2 into the 64 bit folder by default, which it shouldn't, and then cannot find certain files to run afterwards.  This trick forces installation into the correct (32 bit) folder.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 15, 2011 4:20 PM   in reply to Freedom4all

Thanks! You saved me a lot of time figuring that out!

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 8, 2012 12:53 PM   in reply to taparent

i have read with interstes all of the mistakes i made trying to install CS2 on to my new windows 7 machine (lenovo)., the funny thing is that 6 months before it did it without a hitch on my lapotop m9also lenovo). anyway, i made the usual mistake of trying to install it to an "Adobe" folder. the problem was and is the damn thing wont uninstall. i used Revo Unistaller which seemed to remove some items and i mannually delted all fo the files and folder i can find. when i now try to re-install CS2 withthe fixes outlined, the disks/septup still says i have CS2 components installed  outside the suite and whty wpnt let me install anything. do i hve to go int the registry? not something i am happy about. is ther a cleaner for CS2 out there? the only one i found was for CS3 and above

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points