Skip navigation
sonja_so
Currently Being Moderated

PageMaker can not print ps-file to creat a PDF

Jan 27, 2010 7:40 AM

Hi,

I want to create a PDF from a PageMaker file with the export function. I can start the printing and the computer seems to do something but than message appears saying that the postscipt can not be saved (sorry, just a rough translation because I use the software in German).

When I try to produce a ps-file first and than convert it with Distiller: something seem to work in the background but I never find a ps-file. And yes, I checked where the file should be saved and I looked in the correct folder.

This problem seem to arrise since I installed CS4 and the Technical Suit as the company wants to proceed to work with FrameMaker. But I am not sure about this because this morning suddenly I could create a PDF out of 2 Pm-documents but before this and afterwards I had the same problems. I have no idea what could have changed for this moment.

I also tried different documents, even opend an empty document and just enterd some letters. Nothing worked

In the past with PM 6.5 and 7 we had a problem with the company's font, but we resolved that problem with a setting in the Distiller. I checked this first. But no matter what setting I enter in the Distiller  now, no PDF is created.

I think the problem is that PageMaker seem to be unable to creat a ps-file.

I work with

Windows XP SP3

PageMaker 7.0.1a

CS4

Is anyone out there who had solved this problem or any idea what to try? I would appreciate a temporary solution as the change to FrameMaker is planned but not done yet and I need the PDF of 300-page-manual to send it to our customer. Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 27, 2010 1:51 PM   in reply to sonja_so

I would suggest that the PS driver is not correctly set up in some way.

There's some possible solutions here: http://bigjohnd.org.uk/PageMakerExportPDF/troubleshoot.htm

Iechyd da! John
    21:49 27/01/2010 GMT

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2010 1:57 PM   in reply to sonja_so

Hello,

I, too, have a problem with not being able to create a PDF file from PageMaker 7.02. But my problem is a little different.

I recently purchased a new computer with Windows 7 installed. I was able to install PageMaker 7.02 but the Adobe Postscript Printer Driver would not install from the Installation Disk. I contacted Adobe and had several communications with them about how I can obtain a Postscript Printer Driver that will install and work in Windows 7. Frankly, I don't think I ever talked with anyone who understands what I was talking about. The last person I talked with told me I had to go back to Windows XP! Surely, Adobe must have some version of a Postscript Printer Driver that works in Windows 7 -- it need not be a driver designed explicitly for Windows 7. But that is what the Adobe support personnel that I talked with couldn't understand. I was told that Adobe does not have a Postscript Printer Driver for Windows 7 yet -- they are working on it.

Does anyone know how I can obtain an Adobe Postrscript Printer Driver that I can install and have PageMaker 7.02 recognize it and perform as the application was designed? As of now, PageMaker can't find the driver to create the ps file. Adobe Distiller 6.0 won't create the PDF file because it looks for but can not find the ps file.

Any help would be appreciated.

I know that InDesign replaced PageMaker. For me, I've used PageMaker since 1988 and it does all I need in a desktop publishing tool. InDesign would be far, far too much overkill for my purposes.

Thanks,

Tony R

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2010 2:28 PM   in reply to acrollis@pacbell.net

PM isn't supported on Windows 7. With luck it'll install and run, but Adobe won't give you any support - hence why they said go back to WinXP.

Adobe, Microsoft, HP and probably others came to an arrangement years ago that the PostScript Printer Driver would be included in the WIndows OS, so there's no longer an Adobe-specific PS Driver for Win7.  I guess the nearest you'll get is when you install a version of Acrobat supported by Win7, probably Acrobat 7 or later.

If you are dedicated of fan of PM7, then you'll get best results running it on a version of windows it was designed for, WinXP or Win2K.

If you persist with Win 7, I guarantee there will be problems.  And as PM has no auto-backup on its open files, you'll have to backup frequenly and manually to ensure nothing is lost.

You may feel InDesign is overkill but move to it now while there are still big discounts for PM users. You will not regret it. And those additional features may actually give you new ideas for your designs. Not to mention creating a PDF is as simple and as quick as saving a new file.

I and many others here have been using PM since the early 90s.  PM is terrific.  InDesign is better.  I no longer have PM installed on any kit I use. PM is dead.  God bless PM.

Iechyd da! John
    22:24 27/01/2010 GMT

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2010 2:59 PM   in reply to BigJohnD

Hello John,

Thanks for sharing your knowledge of PageMaker with me. It is really appreciated.

Do you know that all the features of InDesign will function correctly in Windows 7? I'm considering making the switch after what I've experienced so far as bolstered by the information in your e-mail.

Thanks,

Tony R

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 28, 2010 3:20 PM   in reply to acrollis@pacbell.net

InDesign works perfectly on Win7.

It will convert and open your PM files (from PM6 onwards, might be P65, can't remember at the moment). The conversion is generally satisfactory, though complex publications will some tidying up - I'm assuming you will have all the necessary fonts and images.

You will have absolutely no problem creating PDFs as it's inbuilt into InDesign - no need for printer drivers and Distiller.

If you are familiar with PM's frames and have had some experience of Illustrator, you'll be right at home with InDesign within minutes, and be delighted with its robustness.

I'd suggest that a good way to find out about InDesign is download the Tryout Version from here.  Use it to convert and open a PM publication you are very familiar with so you can easily identify the differences.

Iechyd da! John
    23:20 28/01/2010 GMT

|
    Mark as:
    Calculating status...
    Feb 20, 2010 2:04 PM   in reply to sonja_so

sonja:

I have the same problem but I have less tech knowledge.  Can you fully describe step by step the process to export ps file?

Thanks Very Much

David

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2010 2:48 PM   in reply to reyckert

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2010 12:28 PM   in reply to BigJohnD

BigJohnD,

Thanks for your help and advice.

I "bit the bullet" and purchased the InDesign CS4 upgrade for PageMaker as you recommended in an early communication. I'm just now learning my way around the application and am finding that I will like it very much once I get over the "frames for everything" concept.

Thanks again,

Tony R

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2010 12:54 PM   in reply to acrollis@pacbell.net

acrollis@pacbell.net wrote:

I purchased the InDesign CS4

Excellent news!  You'll love it.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2012 7:36 AM   in reply to acrollis@pacbell.net

I didn't know Adobe PM had a version 7.02...where can i get this? I'm using 7.01a on Windows 7 Ultimate OS.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2012 7:40 AM   in reply to BigJohnD

PM has been the workhorse for our company, and has paid for it's licensing fee many many times over since. i am still using it as my primary desktop page layout program, on Windows 7 Ultimate OS. after a struggle to get it installed, it is working fine, just as well, and maybe even a bit better than on my previous XP Professional OS. as a creature of habit i despised Indesign's 'frames for everything concept.' haven't really given it much of chance though. guess since i've got PM running on a 64 bit OS now, it'll have to wait!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2012 10:00 AM   in reply to Bob Caused This

Bob Caused This wrote:

I didn't know Adobe PM had a version 7.02...where can i get this? I'm using 7.01a on Windows 7 Ultimate OS.

AFAIK, PM7.02 was the very last full retail version, warranting the "02" classification because the version of Distiller had been upped from Ver5 to Ver6.  In all other respects it's PM7.01a.

PM has been the workhorse for our company, and has paid for it's licensing fee many many times over since. i am still using it as my primary desktop page layout program, on Windows 7 Ultimate OS

Best of luck, I hope it's stable, and backup your files very frequently.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2012 9:01 AM   in reply to sonja_so

I have had tremendous success using the free "Nitro PDF" Reader and it's companion paid "PDF Redirect." as a printer.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2012 7:27 AM   in reply to BigJohnD

I added the Microsoft Virtual PC to my Win7 and can run all the old programs in the XP mode. Works fine. You need Win7 Professional, but that's a >$100.00 addon you can buy at most office supply stores.  So I'm still happily using PM 7.02, and AI 8.0.  Yea!!

BTW: PM has never done automatic backups for me, even when the feature is selected. Not in Win98, nor XP. I'm used to saving regularly :-).

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2012 7:32 AM   in reply to karyn17

So, in summary, you spent about $100 more than you needed to for Windows and $100 for MS Virtual PC in order to run archaic software.

Congrats on that, but I call that throwing good money after bad.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2012 7:38 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

$100 was paid only once.

The "Archaic software" I use only about 40hr/month max, so $100.00 is much better than paying $500.00+ to get the newer Adobe products with features I don't want/use.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2012 7:50 AM   in reply to karyn17

There are other choices for modern systems and one of them, Scribus, is open source and FREE.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2012 7:58 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

Thanks for the scribus tip. I'll check it out.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2012 8:03 AM   in reply to karyn17

Not quite InDesign but lightyears ahead of PM and it works on Windows 7 without hacks.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2012 8:16 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

first i've heard of this. thanks for the tip.  i may check it out if i have the time. but in the meantime, PM7 is working fine on my Windows 7 platform....and without hacks. sooner or later i will retire PM7, i promise. but it appears that it will be later than sooner.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points