• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I generate separate Word docs and retain cross-references?

Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2010 Jan 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've poked around the forum and am seeing an answer to this, so forgive me if it's already been answered.

I'd like to generate separate Word documents from within RH8 (as opposed to a single Word doc of the entire help system) and yet retain the functional cross-references across documents.

As it is, if I generate the help as a group of Word docs, only cross-references having destinations within the same Word document are present. That's not hugely surprising, but it would help me a great deal if intra-document cross-references were present in the generated Word docs.

Any ideas how I can do this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe that might work if you used the master document method. That said I strongly recommend that you research Word's master document method as everything I have read indicates the Word gurus suggest it has problems.

Why would you want all these links working? If that is needed, shouldn't the user be accessing the online help?

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm examining the feasibility of converting our help system from RoboHelp to WebWorks ePublisher Pro. (I know that's probably blasphemy on this forum!) For a multi-user environment, the ideal starting point for a WWP workflow seems to be Word documents that are as granular as possible (one Word doc per help topic, if possible), yet with all the cross-references working properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good luck.

Curious to know what it is that WebWorks will give you. I ask out of ignorance and am not suggesting it is not the right solution.

Follow me @petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The biggest new feature (new for us, that is) is the ability to publish directly to a wiki, without any conversion required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Understand, thanks.

Follow me @petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp