Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Flash Player won't save local settings

Jan 30, 2010 12:27 AM

We are waiting Adobe.  Fix this problem.  With Flash not working on both Macs and Windows systems it seems that Flash will soon be irrelevant.

Branched from an earlier discussion.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 29, 2010 1:25 PM   in reply to fmlogue

fmlogue, I see you just registered this afternoon. Was it hard to search for old threads to rant on?

I don't understand people like you that register for this unhelpful nonsense.

There are people here that are searching for answers.

Spam isn't helpful to anyone.

Regards,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
  • Jochem van Dieten
    2,391 posts
    Apr 8, 2001
    Jan 30, 2010 12:35 AM   in reply to fmlogue

fmlogue: you have an issue with Adobe, not with the other forum users. That you come here to express your displeasure with Adobe is fine. That you are posting many identical posts in threads from other people that in no way help those people with their problem is not.So what I did was branch of one of your messages to a new thread (this thread), and removed the other ones.

Next time, please be concise, post in one place and wait at least 24 hours before you bump it. That way you are not replying to other people without helping them, and nobody will think you are spamming.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2010 11:24 AM   in reply to fmlogue

Ok, fmlogue, I had no way of knowing about your previous registration and if I had, I probably would not have said what I did. Frustration and anger are very normal emotions. Everyone has them at one time or the other. Sometimes we have to sit on the other side of the window to understand where the other person is coming from and I believe we have all been on both sides.

Now to your Flash Player problem. I do not know what Pandora is, but for me it makes no difference. Your issue is Flash Player and I will try to help you with that. The only comment I will make is that the Adobe Flash Player has no "bug" in it that would prevent  the Uninstalling of the old version or the Installing of the latest version and it makes no difference to me who says otherwise. Something is either true 100% of the time or it is not true. I have the latest Adobe Flash Player on my system as well as many millions do and it works perfectly.

If you would like to proceed, please post back your OS, what browser or browsers you have installed and each version.

Also it would be helpful if you would list the contents of your Macromed\Flash folder.

Your Anti-Virus/Spyware and Firewall either included with the A/V or separate(other than Windows Firewall) info is needed as well.

Just to be sure that you are running as Administrator, right click on the clock time in your system tray, click on Adjust/Date/Time and tell me what you see.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2010 3:27 PM   in reply to fmlogue

Hi fmlogue, What thread people post on doesn't necessarily reveal their system nor their problem. Regarding the fact that a bug report has been filed would not be the determining factor whether there is a bug in the Flash Player code. I'm sure you know that Java has  a system of reporting bugs and if and when THEY decide if it is valid then they assign an ID

to the report. They then investigate and make the determination whether it is so or not. So just because someone reported a bug doesn't make it so. Like I said if there were a true bug, then it would affect everyone that installed Flash Player and that is simply not the case.

Regarding the link you provided, http://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browser/FP-1914, I am not registered. However, I did take a look at JIRA, a maker of plug-ins. Also I took a look at Atlassian, an Australian based Software Company, that is into

Software Development Tools and Collaboration Software & JIRA plugins.

What this has to do with Flash Player, escapes me. I also took a look at Pandora Streaming Music and don't see where it is much different than other streaming music programs.

Are you a developer? How is Adobe Air needed for streaming music? Just a question, since I don't use Adobe Air and am able to listen to almost anything on the Internet, TV and radio, etc.

fmlogue, this is not MY program, please, if it was do you really think I would be on this forum? :-) I am a user like yourself,

just trying to help people with their Flash Player problems, since I don't have any.

Now, I am not familiar with MAC, although I was able to help a couple of users with their MAC and Flash Player issues. Not because I knew anything about MAC, but because they were good at sending screenshots and I was able to see what their problems were. PC's and MAC are so different and I'm not sure of the "language" so have some problem with that.

You would probably be better served if you started a new thread with the information that you provided here and get advice from the MAC users. That is up to you. Like I said, I am just not that familiar.

From your Macromed folder you have the latest FP; and in Library, the Shockwave 10 is most likely for Adobe Air.

The only way you and I can work together on this if I speak PC to you and you interpret and speak PC to me.

Regards,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
  • Jochem van Dieten
    2,391 posts
    Apr 8, 2001
    Jan 31, 2010 3:45 AM   in reply to fmlogue

fmlogue wrote on 1/30/2010 11:30 PM:

I posted on the three threads because all three threads listed the problem and no solution was offered or even attempted on any of them. It seemed like a a reasonable thing to do.

Posting a message with zero information to help them solve the issue is

not a reasonable thing to do. Posting a link to the bugtracker,

recommending they try the workarounds described their and asking them to

vote for the bug would have been a reasonable thing to do. If you want

to vent, rant on your blog, write a letter to Adobe, but don't do it on

a user-to-user forum.

I am sorry if I come off churlish but I have run into the attitude at Adobe before of “my way or the highway”, denial of the problem, or silence.

You can see in the bugtracker the issue is "In progress". After that,

there is nothing anyone can do on a user-to-user forum. If you want to

do more, download 10.1 b2, check if the issue still exists and post your

findings in the beta forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 8, 2010 8:14 PM   in reply to fmlogue

TWEAK DISCOVERED for Flash Player 10 to save local settings!!

I was digging around in:

~/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash Player/www.macromedia.com/bin/fpupdatepl/

and I discovered:

Adobe Flash Player.pkg

If you Right Click (or Control + Click) the Package and then select 'Show Package Contents' this will open a new window.

Then navigate to:

Contents/Resources/

There you will find a file:

Adobe Flash Player.info

Open this file with text edit (or your app of choice)

On about the fourth line from the bottom look for:

OverwritePermissions NO

Change this to:

OverwritePermissions YES

A NOTE OF CAUTION

I have not fully tested this change, but did find that after I modified the local settings for the Flash Player, then restarted Safari that the settings remained the same.

Good Luck!

~ry

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2010 8:01 PM   in reply to fmlogue

This is my first and only post on adobe forums, this is the solution to the problem. I had the exact same problem, and eventually found that if you uninstall flash player, go into your home folder delete the Flash Player folder that is inside both Library/Caches/Adobe and Library/Preferences/Macromedia, and then install flash player again, it works.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2010 10:22 PM   in reply to Ryan Kimble

Is there a way to make this work for windows?:) xD

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 22, 2010 10:56 PM   in reply to Resurrekkted

Reinstalling Flash Player after deleting the two folders %APPDATA%\Adobe\Flash Player and %APPDATA%\Macromedia\Flash Player may do the trick?  Make sure that you have all permissions in the underlying folders %APPDATA%\Adobe and %APPDATA%\Macromedia.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)