Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Keep a mask path static while it's parented by something animated?

Jan 30, 2010 9:49 AM

Hi, is there any way to have a layers mask stay static in the scene even when its parented by something thats animated?

Such as maybe putting an expression in its mask path settings?

Thanks,

Mike

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 30, 2010 12:21 PM   in reply to elementsk8er506

Probably the easiest thing to do is to duplicate the layer with the mask then use that layer as an alpha track matte for the original. You could then remove the mask from the original layer.

If that doesn't work then I don't understand what you're trying to do.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2010 1:29 AM   in reply to elementsk8er506

Please, for the second time: Make up your mind about where you post! See this blog post for the reasons why:

http://blog.myleniumstuff.de/?p=41

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2010 8:40 AM   in reply to elementsk8er506

> I don't understand what I did wrong, is it because I posted this question on VC also? Like you mentioned another time?

I posted this question on two different forums, unrelated to eachother, so I could get more, and different feedback from different groups of people.

What you did isn't wrong in that it broke some rule. Rather, it violates a piece of etiquette or courtesy.

You say that the two forums are unrelated to each other. But the point is that they're not. You might think that asking the same question in many places increases your chance of getting an answer, but the truth is that it causes the answers to be scattered, incoherent, and inconclusive. As Mylenium says, these are small communities; the people who will answer your question on this forum overlap heavily with the people who will answer your question on Video Copilot. Pick the one forum that is most likely to give you an answer.

If you feel that you must post the same question to multiple forums, then we ask that you be diligent about cross-posting the answers as soon as you get them, too. Otherwise, someone on this forum may waste a lot of time trying to help you with a problem that you already have an answer to somewhere else.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2010 11:19 AM   in reply to elementsk8er506

I posted this question on two different forums, unrelated to eachother, so I could get more, and different feedback from different groups of people.

Read that old blog entry! Really do! You know, that thing about potentially getting more confused, the community being small and such.... Don't take this as arrogance or snobism: When it comes to basic techniques, the answers will usually be the same, regardless of which forum. Within a reasonable timeframe (which for forums is something like 24 hours to allow for people living in different time zones; longer on holidays and weekends), there will always be someone to help you on a halfway frequented forum such as VC or this one here. If you have serious technical questions, opt for the forum that would provide the best insights, which usually is that of the vendor. When it comes to creative matters, that's a whole different story. In that case of course it doesn't hurt to get a second opinion from a different set of people, but even then it would be nice if you took a structured approach and would only post on other forums, if the answers you get in one location do not satisfy you. Plus you should always tell people when you have posted on other forums to keep the spirit of the discussion. Who knows? - Even an old slacker like me might still learn a thing or  or catch some good creative ideas peeking in on other forums...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points