Skip navigation
seichert77
Currently Being Moderated

Mac Acrobat Pro 9.3 can't print : pstopdffilter/pstocupsraster failed with err number 13

Jan 31, 2010 1:47 PM

Summary

Can't print PDF files from Adobe Acrobat Pro 9.3.0 on Mac OS X Snow Leopard (10.6.2) to Brother MFC-7820N Printer (connected via USB).  Print queue consistently shows "pstopdffilter/pstocupsraster failed with err number 13".

Steps to reproduce

1. Launch Acrobat Pro 9.3.0 on Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.2
  2. Open SimpleOnePageDocument.pdf (attached)
  3. From File menu select Print
  4. From Print Dialog select Brother MFC-7820N printer
  5. Click Print Button

Results

Printing immediately fails.  Print queue shows "pstopdffilter/pstocupsraster failed with err number 13" (see attached picture)

Expected Results

Document prints

Things I have tried

• Downloading latest drivers from Brother for Snow Leopard (fall 2009 drivers)
  • System Preferences->Print and Fax->Reset Printing Subsystem
  • Print->Advanced->Postscript Options->Font and Resource Policy - Greyed out so I could not change from Send by Range to Send for each page

Notes

I can print PDF files from the Preview application without any problems.

System Info

Operating SystemMac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.2
ProductAdobe Acrobat Pro 9.3.0 (installed as part of CS4)
PrinterBrother MFC-7820N connected via USB
Printer DriverBrother MFC-7820N CUPS version 1.41

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 27, 2010 2:53 AM   in reply to seichert77

I have exactly the same problem since I changed my Mac for an Intel one (10.6.2 instead of Power PC 10.4).

My printer is a Canon MP610 but this has nothing to do with the printer and it's software. Adobe seems to be completely deaf to this issue which is very annoying as most of the downloaded documents you need to print are pdf nowadays.

I surrounded the issue by copying/pasting the pdf image in a jpeg file... This is very time consuming and I'm still waiting for a proper answer to this bug by Adobe.

Let's continue to write, hoping Adobe will begin to move on the subject...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2010 12:16 PM   in reply to seichert77

I downloaded and tried your sample PDF I use a DJ990cse Printer on OSX4.11 Printed fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2010 1:35 PM   in reply to seichert77

You have tried everything I could possibly suggest. You can print from Preview. You probably can print as image (but that is a pain and is slow). You can try a tool like Onyx to try clear all caches, but I doubt it would make a difference. I think you'll need to file a bug report.

File one with Adobe: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

File one with the printer company.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2010 11:44 AM   in reply to seichert77

I have the same problem trying to print from Mac Acrobat Pro 9.3.0 to an HP Office Jet 7210 but no problems printing from Mac Preview or any other programs on my MacBook Pro running Mac OS X version 10.6.2 with an Intel Core 2 Duo processor.  This is an Adobe problem that I wish they would fix quickly because it is becoming a pain in the back side.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2010 2:23 AM   in reply to seichert77

If you have two macs with one which prints ok, copy the printer setup utility and then add printers.  If not re-install printer setup utility from original disk.

I copied a working printer setup utility from a mac which did not produce "ps to pdf filter" to my mac, added new printers and it worked with no problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2010 2:25 AM   in reply to drskidmore

re-install printer setup utility from your original disk or copy it from a working mac.  I copied mine from a mac, added new printers and the problem stopped

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2010 10:52 AM   in reply to seichert77

After trying many other things, I managed to print a pdf document only by ticking the box "Print as image" in the "Advanced features" window.

It works, but you have to tick this option each time, as it is not a default option.

This means that the problem comes from the Adobe software and not from the printer pilot or the printer software of Mac OS X.

Is Adobe now going to find a definitive solution to this problem and post an answer on their website????

I'm waiting...

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 19, 2011 6:33 PM   in reply to seichert77

I have the same exact problem with my Brother Printer. I assumed it was a problem with my printer, but then I tried printing on my friend's HP and had the same exact error. I have deleted the printer on my Mac and reinstalled it. I have also installed Adobe Reader (although since I have Adobe Acrobat Pro, I didn't see the need). Still am not able to print. Even Print Preview doen't work. Most of the time I have to export to JPEG to print (talk about a pain in the butt!!!), but lately the JPEGs are inversed (so it looks like a negative or an xray). I'm so annoyed. Nearly everything I need is a PDF and I can't print it!!!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points