Skip navigation
MDolbear
Currently Being Moderated

Low on system memory.

Feb 5, 2010 3:09 PM

I keep getting the following:

"Adobe Premiere Pro is running very low on system memory. Please save your project and proceed with caution."

I do not understand how to remedy this as I am running PrePro on a server class ACPI x86 based machine with:

Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q6700 @ 2.66GHz (x4)

6GB installed RAM

ATI Radeon HD4850 PCIe graphics card (1GB GDDR3 memory)

4 ST31000340AS 1TB Hard Drives

Window 7 Ultimate OS

Adobe CS3 Master Suite

PrePro crashes every five to ten minutes. How do I give it more system memory than it's getting?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 5, 2010 5:38 PM   in reply to MDolbear

First thing to remember is that "system memory" includes both installed RAM, and the Window Virtual Memory (Page File). Often, error messages do not differentiate between the two.

Let's start with some questions:

What are your Virtual Memory settings, where is it located, and how is it managed?

Next, give this ARTICLE some thought. Most computers have tons of bloatware and totally unnecessary programs, and Processes, that load at boot up. These sap everything from system memory to CPU process cycles. In Task Manager, how many Processes do you have running, when you are editing?

Also, post a screen-cap of Process Explorer, and let us see what else might be running, and taking system resources.

Good luck, and hopefully something will help, or will provide others with the data to help diagnose the issue.

Hunt

PS - remember that CS3 is a 32-bit program, and can ONLY use so much RAM.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2010 12:36 PM   in reply to MDolbear

Post a screenshot from Process Explorer and attach DXDIAG.txt.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2010 1:18 PM   in reply to MDolbear
    I know that PreProCS3 is a 32 bit program and can only use so much ram, but clearly this program wasn't written to start right up warning you about limitations in memory on a full compliment system or it wouldn't work for anybody.

You are absolutely correct. It is not written that way. For almost all users, such issues do not exist. What we're trying to figure out is why it is happening on your machine, when it does not on others', even users with lower-spec computers. On the surface, you have enough horsepower, so something else is going on. That is what we're trying to figure out. That is why Harm made his request. We hope that something in those files will be obvious, and someone can just say, "turn that off," or "don't do that," and it'll run like it's supposed to.

Now, you mention iTunes. Are Bonjour Services and iTunes Helper(s) running at boot? With few exceptions, Bonjour Services is not needed, and iTune's little "helper" files love to gobble resources. Other programs, like Roxio and Nero will also load up a bunch of "sniffers," and "watchers," and these will appear in ProcessExplorer, or Task Manager>Processes. Same for some search engines and similar. Lots of "stuff," that gets stuck in, when/where one least expects them.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2010 1:27 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt
    Now, you mention iTunes. Are Bonjour Services and iTunes Helper(s) running at boot? With few exceptions, Bonjour Services is not needed, and iTune's little "helper" files love to gobble resources.

Nobody in his right mind would even install iTunes, unless they really, really like "One flew over the cuckoo's nest".

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2010 1:33 PM   in reply to Harm Millaard

Nobody in his right mind would even install iTunes, unless they really, really like "One flew over the cuckoo's nest".

Unless they have to deliver podcasts to clients and need a way to ensure that encoded MP4 and M4V files will import into iTunes and sync with multi-generational iPods.

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 6, 2010 1:53 PM   in reply to Jeff Bellune

Or they just like a little daemon rock-n-roll, while the workstation is Exporting and they hang out here...

Now, I do not have it on the workstation, but when I'm there, I am editing and often listening carefully. If I need background music, I just pump that into the office from one of the home theaters (adding iPod docks to each). Still, I do a lot of editing on the laptop w/ iTunes, but not Bonjour Services, and no "helpers."

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points