Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Indesign CS4 will not launch

Feb 7, 2010 12:40 AM

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit OS.  I have some Master Suite CS4 apps loaded.  I recently used Acrobat to convert an Indesign document into a pdf.  Now I cannot open Indesign either from the start icon or by double clicking on a file name. When trying to start the app the "hourglass" cursor shows for a second or two then revers to the inert curser. Has any one else had this happen please and is ther a cure other than a re-install ?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 7, 2010 7:14 AM   in reply to spamnchips

How many monitors do you have? Are they all  running at native resolution?

It might not be the same problem, but we sued to see a LOT of trouble in years past with multiple monitor setups on Windows, and I'm wondering if it's creeping back in on Win 7. You are the second or third report like this in the pDoes task Manager show ID running, either as an application or a process?  If as a preocess, will ID launch after right clicking the process and selecting "end process tree?"

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2010 8:51 AM   in reply to spamnchips

That is the recommended approach.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2010 11:58 AM   in reply to spamnchips

(irrelevant reponse deleted by forum host)

Thanks again,
    John M.
    Microsoft Windows Client Support

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2010 11:54 AM   in reply to spamnchips

Are you possibly running Trusteer Rapport, a banking security app?

A number of people have now confirmed this can cause ID not to launch properly.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2010 4:42 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I have just started having problems with Indesign CS4 not launching and have recently installed Trustseer Rapport which my online banking First Direct provided.

Indesign starts as a process and hangs having reached about 30K of memory stopping the process tree has no effect.

I can run Indesign if I use run as administrator (I am the adminstrator) but then drag and drop and link to bridge to do not work. I will try reinstalling indesign.

Mark

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2010 5:13 AM   in reply to langstone

I tried re-installing Indesgn but this did not allow Indesign to launch.

I have now Uninstalled Rapport and Indesign launcehes correctly.

I forget to mention I running Creative suite 4 design premium on a pc running windows 7 pro on Intel Q6600 on an Asus P5Q with 4GB ram and several Terabytes of disk space.

Mark

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2010 5:14 AM   in reply to spamnchips

spamnchips wrote:

Yes I do run Rapport but it has had no effect on Indesign since I re-installed the software.

Try disabling it temporarily anyway...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2010 5:20 AM   in reply to langstone

langstone wrote:

I tried re-installing Indesgn but this did not allow Indesign to launch.

I have now Uninstalled Rapport and Indesign launcehes correctly.

I forget to mention I running Creative suite 4 design premium on a pc running windows 7 pro on Intel Q6600 on an Asus P5Q with 4GB ram and several Terabytes of disk space.

Mark

I don't run Rapport or Win7, but I suspect there must be  way to turn off Rapport when you are not doing your banking so you can have it when you need it (Task manager, if nothing else).

Ken Grace has posted in a number of similar threads that Trusteer is aware of the issue and hopes to have it fixed in "a couple of weeks" (their words).

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2010 3:59 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I had this headache too and I'm grateful for the posts here,  I disabled Trusteer Rapport and now InDesgn opens.  Thanks for the adivice

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2010 5:01 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Hi,

I don't have the Rapport software and I'm running Win 7 Home Premium w/ 3GB RAM. My CS4 is licensed by my university and I have no problems opening any of the othe programs - only InDesign. I've re-installed the whole suite but the problem persists. I only have one screen.

Any advice?

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 4, 2011 9:09 AM   in reply to monosierra

Hi, This forum is quite old, but I'm having the same issues and had not have the Trusteer Rapport program installed on my computer. The problem persists to the point that I'm almost reinstalling the program daily. Any idea on why is this happening? I'm also using Win 7.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points