Currently Being Moderated

help! can i convert text in pdf files

Feb 8, 2010 4:24 AM

can i convert text to outline in adobe acrobat 9 pro

like i do in illustrator & indesign

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 8, 2010 7:33 AM   in reply to erga sharon

No but if you have Illustrator, you can open the file there and convert to outlines (PDF's are native to Illustrator).

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2010 7:49 AM   in reply to erga sharon

erga sharon wrote:

and when i open it in illustrator the fonts are mixed up

Sounds like you don't have the fonts on your system? If that is true, you can't outline them with anything.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2010 7:45 AM   in reply to erga sharon

I don't use Pitstop so I can't be of any assistance there, sorry.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2010 7:50 PM   in reply to erga sharon

You can use Acrobat to convert text to outlines, however you should avoid this if at all possible, as it is almost never necessary.

It's best to edit the original document and make a new PDF, although PDFs are being edited more and more, which is not ideal.

Acrobat will convert text to outlines, as an option, when transparency is flattened, so you will need to add a transparent element to your PDF.

Go to Document> watermark> add> text- hit the space bar to add an invisible watermark.

Go to Advanced> Print Production> Flattener Preview> convert all text to outlines (on), apply.

Pitstop has many PDF editing tools, including convert to outlines, but is not cheap.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2010 9:35 PM   in reply to erga sharon

you might want to check out my little prototype which goes from flex tlf to print read

y pdfs. http://hybridmindset.com/blog/How-I-Got-WYSIWYG-TLF-Text-To-PDF-from-F lex-Part-1

Really exciting stuff!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2010 9:23 AM   in reply to erga sharon

Do you have the text already saved as a pdf? If you do you can go to File>Save As>Encapsulated Postscript and it will save it as an eps file with the fonts converted to outlines. However, there may be problems with the fonts when doing this if you do not have the font or if the font was not saved properly within the pdf.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2010 7:50 AM   in reply to erga sharon

Yes, you  can. It is a little convoluted, but here goes.

If your document has Transparency, go to the Transparency Flattener Preview and tell it to Outline Fonts. This only works if the document has transparency. It may look like it is doing something but if your document does not have Transparency it will not work. If it does not have Transparency, no problem. Go to the Menu item Document/Background. Then add a background of white with 0% Opacity. Then the Flattner Preview will let you convert the fonts to outlines. Confirm by looking at the Document Properties/Fonts or by opening one of the pages in Illustrator.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2010 11:44 AM   in reply to erga sharon

Another option is to "place" the PDF in an Illustrator file, make sure you choose the "Link" option.

Then select the linked PDF, choose "Flatten Transparency" and select the "Convert All Text to Outlines".

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2010 11:52 AM   in reply to Russell Goodman

Thanks for the alternate suggestion. I think you have to have all the fonts if you place it in Illustrator. I often get client files and do not always have the fonts. If you flatten transparency from the pdf you do not have to have the fonts on your system. Also, you can do a multiple page document in on step.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2010 12:26 PM   in reply to Nancy13

Nancy13 wrote:

Thanks for the alternate suggestion. I think you have to have all the fonts if you place it in Illustrator. I often get client files and do not always have the fonts. If you flatten transparency from the pdf you do not have to have the fonts on your system. Also, you can do a multiple page document in on step.

If the fonts are embedded/subsetted in the PDF, you don't need the fonts active in your system, as long as you choose "Link" when placing the PDF in Illustrator. Then when you choose "Flatten Transparency" make sure the slider is to 100 vectors. The Flattener will read the embedded fonts and use that information to create the outlines.

Place.jpg

Flat.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2010 1:28 PM   in reply to Russell Goodman

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/763402?tstart=0

Please take a look at this thread. I have been having the same sort of problem. Illustrator just gives me blank text lines although I have a font of the same name as is in the pdf (Syntax). I need live text, not outlines.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 17, 2010 9:50 AM   in reply to Russell Goodman

Perfect solution for me. Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2011 1:05 PM   in reply to Russell Goodman

Perfecto! Thanks Russell!

Thank goodness for forums

|