Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

“Could not complete the save command because of program error.”

Feb 8, 2010 6:43 AM

Dear all,

I am having problems saving jpegs on Photoshop CS3. I use windows XP professional. I am saving using the save menu (not save as). I am using a saving archive, where folders are within folders. I am trying to save images which have been copy and pasted from the web.

The message I get is:

“Could not complete the save command because of program error.”

Has anyone got this message, and know how to solve it?

Helen

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 8, 2010 6:46 AM   in reply to capstick13

capstick13 wrote:

Dear all,

I am having problems saving jpegs on Photoshop CS3. I use windows XP professional. I am saving using the save menu (not save as). I am using a saving archive, where folders are within folders.

Are you trying to save to a folder on a network? If so, save to a folder on your machine and then copy across later...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2010 10:53 AM   in reply to capstick13

capstick13 wrote:

I do have a network although i am saving to my documents.

Helen...

But where is the My Documents located? Your problem, seems to be one i've read about earlier... saving to a folder on a network...

Anyway, why not just create a new folder on your own system (Hard Disk)... save there and later copy across. See if that works....

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2010 11:23 AM   in reply to shunithD

I think My Documents is a local folder.

I would avoid saving to deeply buried folders because the path will be too long.

If the problem still persists, try resetting your preferences as described in the FAQ.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/375776?tstart=0

You either have to physically delete (or rename) the preference files or, if using the Alt, Ctrl, and Shift method, be sure that you get a confirmation dialog.

This resets all settings in Photoshop to factory defaults.

A complete uninstall/re-install will not affect the preferences and a corrupt file there may be causing the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 8, 2010 11:48 AM   in reply to John Joslin

John,

Under most setups, My Documents is a local folder. In some networked environments, it gets mapped from a network drive. For most Adobe programs, it should be a local folder. Otherwise all sorts of issues can rear up and bite the user.

Using a folder structure that is not so deeply buried is a very good idea. When one looks at the full Path of My Documents, it runs on for miles (or seems to). I have seen PS refuse to use deeply buried folders, and your suggestion would be the first that I would try - so long as it's local and not networked.

I've also seen some local folders (and drives), that when also mapped to other computers on the LAN, not work well too. Networking can cause all sorts of issues. I use them, but then Copy from, and then work from those Copies. Once done, Saves are done locally, and if necessary Copied to the NAS, or networked drive.

Good comments,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 7, 2011 3:40 PM   in reply to capstick13

Another cause of this message, from Photoshop, could be a bad folder name.  Windows XP somewhat tolerated a bad folder name, probably resulting from a keyboard fumble, but Photoshop would not.  The folder name did not appear to have illegal characters, but I could not change it or do anything with it.  I could not delete the folder using normal methods.  I dragged my files out of the folder, and used someone else's trick of using "dir /x" in a command prompt to find the folder's short name so I could use "rmdir" with that short file name to delete it. This assumes you know how to navigate the folders using the command prompt.  Hint: At the command prompt, type "help", "help dir", etc.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points