Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Can't show a Wingdings star in Flash

Feb 9, 2010 1:25 PM

I have a textbox where there should be a 1 to 5 star classification for a movie, so I used the star symbol (character code 0xAB) from the Wingdings Symbol Font. But instead of the stars, What I get is double angular quotes in Arial, the corresponding character in a normal text font: «

In fact, every Wingding character above 0x80 (included) is displayed in Arial instead of Wingdings. This also seems to happen with all Symbol fonts.

I've also made Wingdings into a font symbol but the problem still happens. It also happens in static text boxes.

To reproduce the error just make a text box and set the font to Wingdings. Now type something and it shows in Wingdings but press ALT+0171 (or copy the star from the Character Map app) and instead of a star, you get double angular quotes.

Replies
  • kglad
    72,235 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Feb 9, 2010 1:34 PM   in reply to jedikalimero

embed the font.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 9, 2010 6:29 PM   in reply to jedikalimero

As kglad said, you embed the font, the font package, not choose a font from font family using text tool, type it, and then convert it to a symbol, that is not embedding a font.

When you choose text tool, then a font, there is a button below it named "Character Embedding" use that to "embed" the font package.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2010 6:51 PM   in reply to jedikalimero

You are terribly confused. First of all the altcode 0171 is a double left bracket "«" second of all by pasting a font into flash and making it a symbol is not embedding a font in flash. The only way to embed fonts in flash is as described above, and or create a custom runtime external font package and embed it with actionscript.

http://www.gotoandlearn.com/play?id=102

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,235 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Feb 10, 2010 7:03 AM   in reply to jedikalimero

creating a library item with your webdings font doesn't embed your font.  it's step1 in a multi-step process to embed your font.

if you'd completed the other steps correctly, you would have seen your webding font in your textfield.

|
    Mark as:
  • kglad
    72,235 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Feb 10, 2010 6:17 PM   in reply to jedikalimero

i know how to embed fonts.  you're the one that didn't embed your font correctly.  if you had, you would have seen wingding characters in your textfield when you tested and published your swf.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2010 6:26 PM   in reply to jedikalimero

Seriously, you have an attitude that just won't learn... did you by any chance just stop there... or did you continue to read then next entire paragraph.

It is not working for you because you did not complete all the steps required to embed a font.

You can fight and kick and scream, or you can listen, and follow ALL the steps outlined in the link YOU provided that WE have been trying to explain to you. You have even been given an extremely descriptive tutorial to embed ANY font at runtime.

You did it your way it seems and it does not work... does it? And yet your still trying to argue that it does. We have tried to explain it to you and you just want to argue. Do you want to be right or do you want it to work?

Good luck to you.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2010 8:18 PM   in reply to waterdad568

Wow, no help was appreciated? That's kind of sad.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2010 3:56 AM   in reply to jedikalimero

Hi jedikalimero,

Let me apologize on behalf of everyone here that tried to offer you advise and got angry with you because they said you weren't doing it right.

You were!  They are all wrong, and this is a problem with Flash.

The problem with the other peoples' posts is that they read your question and never really attempted to duplicate it and just thought you weren't embedding the font -- which you were!  To all of you out there that think embedding is the issue, you are WRONG, and you need to do EXACTLY what we have attempted to do.  It does NOT work.

Here is an awkward solution that I've found.  Type your character in Illustrator, convert the type to outlines, and then copy and paste it into Flash and it will work.  Good luck! 

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 12, 2011 5:15 AM   in reply to jedikalimero

I too have come across this - it has only started happening since cs5 - I opened cs4 to check

Obviously it has something to do with the way cs5 deals with text that is different than the old cs4 way

With a textfield highlighted go into properties in the top box you will see it say TLF Text (drop down)

Change the TLF Text dropdown to say Classic Text and low and behold the symbols will appear

Hope this helps

Cheers

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2011 2:27 AM   in reply to akaTaranis

I agree with Owen. I am a software developer with many years experience. One thing I have learnt is never make assumptions about issues and always try to replicate them. By not doing that the posters on this topic have simply muddied the water by assuming this guy was not embedding the font. In fact he was, but the problem lies with flash.
    If you post advice without checking you are right you are doing everybody a misservice because your advice is incorrect and hundreds of people will read that and waste time trying lots of embed options before they read down to the bottom of the post to find this advice was wrong. Being rude about it is just plain unprofessional.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points