• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Convert .chm to PDF

New Here ,
Feb 13, 2010 Feb 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the trial version of RoboHelp 8.0.0.203. I want to convert an existing .chm file to a PDF. How do I do that?

TOPICS
Classic

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whatever authoring tool you use, you have to get that CHM converted to a source project first. See Reverse Engineering on my site for information on how to do that. Then you generate a printed document selecting the PDF option.

I believe there are tools that will take a CHM and generate a PDF but they will not allow any editing, they just convert from one format to the other.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, smithn00 and welcome to the Forums

First, to clarify. If you already have a RoboHelp project and have compiled a .chm (HTML Help) output, then you simply use a different SSL (Printed Documentation) to produce the PDF.

On the other hand I think you may be saying you have a .chm file but not the source material? If that is the scenario, then I would decompile the .chm into its project parts. You can do this regardless of what tool was used to create it. Once you have the source material, open the resulting .hhp file in RoboHelp to create the project. Then use the Printed Documentation Single Source Layout (SSL) to produce the PDF using the options and preferences found in the wizard dialogs.

For methods to decompile the .chm, go to Peter Grainge's site http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/reverse_engineering/reverse_engineering.htm where you'll find out how the reverse engineering is done. I personally prefer the Method 2 (KeyTools).

John Daigle

Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor

www.showmethedemo.com

John Daigle
Adobe Certified RoboHelp and Captivate Instructor
Newport, Oregon

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your quick reply. When I double click on "Printed Documantation", I get a message that says it can't find MSWord. I don't have word on this machine. What now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but Word is a requisite of producing a Word document or a PDF. No way around that.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 15, 2010 Feb 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm coming in on this thread a little late but there are a number of shareware applications that will convert a CHM to a PDF. I can't vouch for the results though. That said, if you have a RH8 trial, I go with Peter and John and say the Printed Documentation feature is the way forward and well worth getting Word installed so you can use it.

• Read the RoboColum(n) for a tips, tricks and musings on the Technical Communication Suite products.
  • Follow the RoboColum(n) on Twitter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 28, 2011 Mar 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I know I am late on this thread, if you have RH8 and if you see "HTML Help Studio" in your toolbox (View -> Toolbox)

Then you can open your .CHM file, it will open the project files

Once you have the project save then you can convert it in .PDF using the Printed Documentation.

Hope it helps !!

Thanks

Vikram

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2011 Aug 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank for your useful info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 03, 2013 Jul 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mr. Daigle,

I tried to follow your above post and it worked. But one of the problems that I am facing at the final stage for Printed Documentation Single Source Layout is that it shows that I need to hava MS Word with SR-2 or later eben though I have Office 2013 installed. How can I resolve this?

Awaiting your reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you tell us what version of RoboHelp you are using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using RoboHelp 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Although you have latched onto this thread, it sounds like your problem is really creating a printed document from your project using Word 2013.

That version is not compatible but there is a workaround. See Item 7 at http://www.grainge.org/pages/authoring/rh10/using_rh10.htm

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp