Skip navigation
ANTONIDEPA
Currently Being Moderated

How to split a clip in soundbooth CS 4 ?

Feb 20, 2010 5:55 AM

How to split a clip in Soundbooth CS 4

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 20, 2010 3:46 PM   in reply to ANTONIDEPA

I too have a need for this.  It seems right now you have to make another track, duplicate the original sound file then completely edit out the left and right sections you don't want.  I have voice over sound bites for some projects that may have over 20 clips.  I might as well go back to Garage Band or iMovie.  If I have to make a new track for each individual clip I could end up with a 5 minute project that has 75-80 tracks.  Is there a way to do this Adobe?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2010 8:16 AM   in reply to Manjobe

This has been a problem for ages. Adobe Audition used to be able to do this but I have not found out how it can be done in Soundbooth. Even Adobe Premiere can do this. Please, point us in the right direction Adobe because at the moment this sucks.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2010 9:49 AM   in reply to ANTONIDEPA

The best way is to highlight the first half of the audio, and right click "Save Selection As..." and it will create a new file with the selected. Repeat for second half and then you have two files. If you're wanting to do different effects for instance, to the two half yet still have the audio be continuous, create a Multitrack and have two tracks with the two halfs. This is best way that I've found to do a "split" in soundbooth.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2010 11:49 AM   in reply to jens0771

Thanks Jens, I understand what you are saying but it's a very slow way of working. We use the software for chopping voiceovers. The quickest way is to slice and move,... job done. I am looking into the possibility (and maybe the way Adobe intended the use) of cutting the track roughly in premiere and then fine tuning the timeline in Soundbooth. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks Again.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2010 12:24 PM   in reply to seamartin1247

I hear ya. I'm still trying to figure out how to properly use dynamic link to help with my workflow between Soundbooth, Premiere, and After Effects. I'm really hoping that 2 way dynamic link will appear in CS5. Or at least a redone Adobe Media Encoder (which completely sucks for downscaling). Sorry, I got off on a rant, but let me know how it goes with rough cutting in premiere and polishing in soundbooth, workflow wise.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2010 5:28 AM   in reply to jens0771

What I don't understand is that this is an AUDIO EDITING SOFTWARE and splitting a clip in two is a BASIC EDITING NECESSiTY. Why hasn't Adobe made this possible? Why have we paid for software that doesn't work properly and hinders us? Why should we have to go out of our way to find complex work-arounds that make our jobs harder and more convoluted?

This as an Adobe forum, can any mods please respond to our plees? If this basic feature were made possible, our lives would be a lot easier and this software would be great. As it stands, this is a floor and Adobe should rectify it ASAP. In Garageband, it's just Apple+T, this should be extremely easy to incorporate.

Why has this feature been ommited?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2010 6:44 AM   in reply to Dazzler73

Perhaps it is because Soundbooth is really only a sound processing add-on for Premiere which is where you would normally do all your file splitting and editing?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2010 7:14 AM   in reply to ryclark

It may be that you create a rough cut in premiere, Avid or FCP, but the sound is then refined using another software package or sound studio. The fact that a complete sequence or even a track can't be taken into soundbooth from Premiere makes refining the sound so very very slow. Adobe are shooting themselves in the foot by including an OMF output for Pro Tools. If soundbooth is supposed to be just for sound processing Adobe need to make it easier to get the sound across from Premiere.

You're more likely to find that Adobe have a legal issue with copyright with the writers of Audition if they include slice in Soundbooth? Adobe certainly seem to be very quiet when it comes to giving an answer.

For now, its' a pain and I find I'm having to use my old version of Audition.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2010 9:12 AM   in reply to seamartin1247

I feel that I was “sold” a product that does not do what the advertising said it would.  Take a look at the verbiage that is used (mostly by Adobe) as they present this product to be sold.  For instance the initial product page for Soundbooth on Adobe.com states... “Create and edit audio with ease”  When they say “Create and edit audio...” it is implied to those of us who do audio editing that it will do, at the very least, splitting a sound clip.

On the Adobe Features page of Soundbooth it lists... “One-click edits  Perform edits for common tasks, including volume normalization, fades, and overall file volume adjustment, with a single mouse click.”  So, Adobe says it will... “Perform edits for common tasks...”.  A task like splitting a clip is certainly a common audio editing task, yet Adobe Soundbooth does not do this.

Adobe goes on in the Features page... “Fast cut, copy, and paste editing  Use powerful sample-accurate tools to cut, copy, paste, fade, and stretch audio assets.”  By saying “Fast cut, copy, and paste editing” and “Use powerful sample-accurate tools to to cut, copy, paste...” you are lead to believe that it will do complete audio and waveform editing.  Unfortunately, it is missing the one simple tool that would make Soundbooth a complete sound editing program.  i.e. Being able to cut and split a sound clip.

From Wikipedia:

“Adobe Soundbooth is a digital audio editor by Adobe Systems for Mac OS X, Windows Vista and 7. Adobe has described it as being "in the spirit of SoundEdit 16 and Cool Edit 2000".”

Wikipedia  says... “A digital audio editor is a computer application for audio editing, i.e. manipulating digital audio. Digital audio editors are the main software component of a digital audio workstation.” 

All this information about Adobe Soundbooth and it does not do the one basic, common task of a digital audio editor:  Split, cut and paste sound clips.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2010 9:42 AM   in reply to Manjobe

Totally agree!

I'm happy to be open minded but I've tried

working around this issue and trying a different work flow and it is not working. Adobe even deleted my message when I placed a comment on their official help pages for Sound booth.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2010 9:52 AM   in reply to seamartin1247

Official help pages? Link me up and I'll copy/paste my post in there and see what they say!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2010 3:07 AM   in reply to Dazzler73

This is where I placed my comment and it was removed (no wonder there are no comments, there are no good ones and the negative ones get removed:)

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/PremierePro/4.0/WS1c9bc5c2e465a58a91cf0b10 38518aef7-7f06a.html

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2010 1:11 AM   in reply to ANTONIDEPA

Our prayers have been answered everyone.......

http://www.adobe.com/uk/products/soundbooth/?sdid=GQHYS&

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2010 1:54 AM   in reply to Dazzler73

Fantastic, just in time, we were due to purchase Pro-tools next month!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 15, 2010 9:22 PM   in reply to seamartin1247

Damn, in that case I won't even bother trying anything. I'll make it a dang WMA with windows movie maker and convert it to an mp3. There went a big part of my repect for adobe, I don't think I'll buy anything from them in the future except maybe photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 16, 2010 6:32 AM   in reply to sanapet

Cs5 does have audio splitting in soundbooth

Colin

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2011 3:11 PM   in reply to seamartin1247

Granted, CS5 does have audio splitting, but only from multitrack, where you can't add markers. I need to be able to add markers, name them, and then split the file into files named for the markers. And somewhere along the way i need to trim away bad parts within it. Is there an easy way -- or any way -- to do that in Sb CS5?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 26, 2011 6:00 PM   in reply to Kevin Q Baird

I don't know Kevin,

I still only have CS4 as I could not afford to upgrade to CS5 to get the splitting.  It still irks me that a program taunted by Adobe as a sound editing program can not do the basic sound wave editing that one would expect.  My guess is that the person at Adobe that did the programing had very little experience in what is needed in a sound editing program.  Or, more likely, they gave that person very little time to work on it or perhaps even very little direction.  I doubt Adobe even did any initial focus groups or after the fact beta testing.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 27, 2011 9:34 AM   in reply to Manjobe

Maybe. I do like Soundbooth for the spectral editing -- saves my bacon all the time. I just wish it did some of these other basic things. Audition is overkill for editing single files like I'm doing, so that's not an option. While it may have batch processsing and similar abilities, I don't need to mix 32 tracks at 96 kbit, etc. Just need to clean up lots of sounds, not just one at a time. And slice them up. Ah, my kingdom for a Mac at work...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points