Skip navigation
luv2010
Currently Being Moderated

Flash 10 not working

Feb 22, 2010 2:07 PM

I recently did a recovery system on my computer and had to install everything over again so I installed flash player 10 for IE and on all the websites that use flash player theres either a blank screen or a loading screen but nothing appears....how do i fix it?

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 22, 2010 9:06 PM   in reply to luv2010

Go to http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ - do you see the Flash Animation, and a version number beneath it?  If so, FP is correctly installed and working.

Some sites claim to require Flash Player, when in fact they mean Shockwave Player.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2010 12:05 AM   in reply to luv2010

I wouldn't know - these sites should tell you what player(s) you need.

Have you tried to install Shockwave Player?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2010 7:56 PM   in reply to luv2010

Hi, Using IE, find your Add ons and locate Shockwave Flash Object.. ActiveX Control ...Flash10e.ocx vs 10.0.45.2 and make sure it is Enabled, if it isn't Enable it. Then try the sites again.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2010 10:29 PM   in reply to luv2010

Hi, ok well if the SWO in IE and the SWF in FF are installed and enabled. Before we consider what is preventing the website/Flash Player working properly.

Take a look at C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash and open Flash and post back all files listed there. We need to make sure that not only are the correct files installed, but no old files.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2010 11:15 PM   in reply to luv2010

I don't know either. What you listed is the correct Flash Player files but only for FF. There are none listed for IE.

However, I think you said Shockwave Flash Object was in the IE add ons.

Was there a reason that you did not use the path I listed?

Do you need directions to get there as I listed?

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2010 11:32 PM   in reply to luv2010

What OS are you using? What version of IE?  Do you mean you Disabled the add ons in IE, or Removed them/Deleted?

Some of them you would have had to Remove the Program.  I'm not clear on what you had or what you did here, or how.

Well then you'll need to list the plug-ins, add ons and extensions that you have in FF.

Also in Add/Remove via Control Panel, post back all Java listings with version numbers.

Do you see a DLM/GetPlus listing?

What players do you have installed?

Thanks

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2010 11:40 PM   in reply to eidnolb

To luv2010:

What I asked you to provide is going to take some time. I'll look at it tomorrow(Wed) and post back.

Thanks

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2010 12:40 AM   in reply to luv2010

Ok, so all you did was Uninstall FP from IE, your add ons in IE are still there, right?

In the Add/Remove, you need to Uninstall the old Java J2SE. The latest is JRE 6 update 18 (unless they update to 19)

The JRE 6 update 18 should be the only Java listing in Add/Remove unless you are a Developer, etc.

The FF plugins: The 2 Java need removed. The Quicktime plugin 7.2 is old I think, looks like the 7.6.2 is the newer, so the old one should be removed.

After you remove the above then be sure to Reboot. Here is the Java link:

http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

When you open this, page down and look for "What Java do I need?" To the right, "Download JRE" Click on it, click  on the arrow(select Platform & Language) select Windows. Check the box to agree to license info. Skip over name & password info, Continue. Disregard any installer info, Look for i586 and you want the Offline Install. SAVE this to your desktop. Then close all browsers and RUN. After it is fully installed, Open your browser and Reboot.

Check in add/remove and confirm it is there. Then check your plugins for the Java entries.

You will probably see Java add ons in IE also, since Java installs in IE & FF at the same time, unlike FP.

If you didn't see any Adobe DLM/ or GetPlus, then disregard.

I am logging off!!

eidnolb

If you have any questions about any of this, manana will do.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2010 6:58 PM   in reply to luv2010

Hi, well you have been very busy I see. Good job too. Now go to the FF plugins, add ons, extensions and post back all

of the Java add ons/plugins, etc.

You don't have ad-block in the FF add ons do you?

Also that WOT, is that the Web of Trust? How does that work? Is it a prevention action?

Go to Control Panel, double click on the Java icon, click on Advanced Tab, double click on Default for Java Browsers.

When this opens, make sure a check mark is entered beside Mozilla Family and Microsoft Internet Explorer(just in case you want to install FP in IE later and you may forget about this) If a check mark is missing, put it there. Click Apply, ok and then Reboot your computer.

Note: If a check mark is already entered buy greyed out so as you cannot Uncheck it, then tell me that. It is important.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2010 8:27 PM   in reply to luv2010

Thanks, I must say I have not seen so much trouble with getting FF working. The WOT, does it affect your browser in any way? Does it work as Trusted Sites in IE? Would you need to enter Adobe as a WOT? I have never used FF, so just trying

to understand some of the add ons and how they work in FF and relating them to IE.

When you open Control Panel, do you see the Java icon, the coffee cup? That is what you would double click on to open it and then go from there per my instructions.

I am going to check out the Java plugins you listed.  Will comment if needed.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2010 9:20 PM   in reply to eidnolb

Hi, Ok on the Java check, glad you found it. I have a concern about the Java plugins, the ones you listed are not the same as I've seen with other users that installed the latest Java 6 update 18 and use FF.

Check and see at the FF Toolbar, on add ons, extensions and plugins if there are more.

I know for a fact that when the JRE 6 update 18 comes down for IE, there are 5 Java plugins/ActiveX installed in the add ons. I just check a mid Jan this year install of Java with FF and the plugins are different and there are more of them, that is why I am asking.

You may want to go here and test the Java:http://java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml

Don't forget my questions about the WOT when you have time.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2010 10:26 PM   in reply to luv2010

Hi, well you may have found your problem. I did not know you had Norton. Sorry, Norton & McAfee the two most invasive

Anti-Virus/Firewall programs I have ever had any experience with. I know a lot of people have them, but too much big brother for my taste.

Ok, let me find my info. I just emailed someone this past week as a warning on a new component Norton has out to protect users from themselves:-) Grrrrrrr. LOL

So, when you tested Java, Norton popped up? This may be a problem.

Thanks for the info on WOT. I don't think I would need it, seeing how that here lately I'm on the Adobe forum and my email account LOL

I have the radio on and just heard a huge storm is on it's way. In fact they called it a Snow Hurricane. I need to check

Accu-Weather.

Will get you that info on Norton first.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2010 10:53 PM   in reply to eidnolb

Hi, here are a couple of links on this feature of Norton:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Protection-Blog/New-Feature-for- Norton-Internet-Security-2010-Download-Insight/ba-p/113827  This link describes the Download Insight.

This one below explains all of the components of Norton and each feature.

http://store.digitalriver.com/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=Display Page&Locale=en_PR&id=ProductDetailsPage&SiteID=symanlam&productID=1500 12400&resid=S4YbLwoBAkcAACgSL4sAAAAL&rests=1267079983421

It appears that one would need to spend much more time studying Norton and how it all works and where all of the components are to try and figure out what all it prevents. I went thru a lot of it with other users that had a terrible time finding everything to disable so they could uninstall FP. Then it was worse trying to install FP, more and more components

had to be identified first and then found. Then they had to set the "timer" they were allowed to disable it and on and on.

So dear, not interested in Norton whatsoever.

Thanks

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2010 11:48 PM   in reply to luv2010

Hi, I  didn't mean I wasn't interested in helping you, I just am not interested in Norton. If I were you, since that version is not new, I would run the Norton Uninstaller so that it is completely removed from your computer.

Then I would get something that is much easier to work with. I did some updating on a person's laptop that had AVG.

I updated their Windows and IE, installed the latest Java, added FF and updated FP on both browsers. AVG had simple

very easy to understand instructions on how to disable everything and I had no problem Uninstalling/Installing those

programs.

I use Avast and have never had a problem at all and most of the time don't even bother to disable. In fact today and I know people would find this hard to believe, my computer was in the process of rebooting, Avast running and I received a prompt from Adobe to update my FP. Well, my computer was rebooting, so I thot, well Adobe go ahead and install. I thot well my system will problably crash! Well of course the Task Manager came up, I stopped the FP install, finally the computer rebooted. I then opened my IE browser and guess what? A small window opened and Adobe said FP has been successfully updated!!! Through all of that, FP updated. I checked my Flash folder, and my SWO in add ons and yes the update was done. So I rebooted(you always do that). I was quite impressed.

I will give you the instructions for the correct way to remove Norton if you like. There is a certain way to do it.

AVG and Avast both have free Anti-Virus versions for home computers.

Let me know.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2010 12:45 AM   in reply to luv2010

Hi, I was just ready to log off. I will have to get that link and post this info tomorrow if that's ok.

I thot I'd give you the link for AVG and Avast unless you have another program instead. Just don't go with McAfee:-)

That's Norton's brother. I think I am going to make a new rule for myself, no Norton and no McAfee. That will be my first

question, not what OS are you using.  Well, as you can tell, I am getting tired:-)

I'll try to get the info for you and then you can use it whenever you want.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2010 5:21 PM   in reply to luv2010

Hi, well good for you. Right now I would take a deep breath and think things through. I wouldn't change any account status until I was sure of the outcome. I don't understand why the guest account would work and not the Admin account.

Did you give the guest account privileges and install FP using that account? I didn't think a guest account had any privileges, or does it?

I have a link or two on account status, will look for them.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2010 7:04 PM   in reply to luv2010

Hi, I'm dizzy:-) I also am trying to figure out why the guest account works and the admin. one doesn't. Usually people have no problem with the admin. account working, it's the other accounts they have problems with. Grrrrr

Yes, using a limited account is safer, but a limited account is restricted on what it can do. Since you have XP, here are a couple of links that may help explain these account set ups. The one I posted on that other thread. He did say that 3 choices were available but I don't know which one he chose. You would think that changing the account status would be the easier way with the one where all of the files currently are installed. To set up a new account and then have to move all of the files, I would think Microsoft would not have designed it that way. I think setting up accounts could be explained

much easier than they are from what I have researched and read.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddo cs/en-us/usercpl_overview.mspx?mfr=true Now I must warn you that when that link opened for me a little window opened and IE said it couldn't open it. I clicked ok and the little window closed, but not the site. Look on the left side bar menu and you will see a lot of info on accounts. I just clicked on whichever one I wanted and from then on had no problem with the site.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/winxp/accounts.mspx This site has great screenshots too.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/winxp/overview.mspx This is the one I posted on the other thread, screenshots too.

Hope it helps you.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2010 12:15 PM   in reply to luv2010

Hi, well I am sorry to hear of all your computer troubles. Later this evening I'll review and see what I can find that may help. I'm sure your info is in the messages. Yes, it is all there, I just checked.

There is a reason for this slowness and other issues.

Will post back a little later.

Thanks

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2010 12:23 PM   in reply to eidnolb

Hi luv2010, I reviewed your messages and have some opinions. First you did a recovery system on your computer.

Since this is a Windows Platform, I would concentrate on getting Internet Explorer working first. From what I read, you

have installed Flash Player back using IE. You have removed all old Java and installed the latest update.

What I would like for you to do, and it's necessary since you have Uninstalled and Installed. Go to your Flash folder

and post back the following:

1. All FP files listed now.

2. Right click on NPSWF32.dll, click on Properties and get the Version #

3. Right click on NPSWF32.FlashUtil, click on Properties and get the Version #

4. The IE files should reflect vs 10.0.45.2, check and see if there are any under Properties that are NOT that version#

After that, Using IE, look in the manage add ons for Shockwave Flash Object ActiveX Control  Flash10e.ocx. We need to know if it is listed and the correct version(the e is the vs 10.0.45.2) and make sure it is enabled.

Use your guest account for doing this and IE.

I am of the opinion that getting IE working first and FF second should be the order.

However, just for the record, what version# of FF do you have installed?

What Service Pack is installed on XP?

Thanks, and hope you can do this. I have a couple of other things you can try, but this information is needed first.

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points