I have Dreamweaver CS4 on Windows 7 64-bit home premium edition. I have tried to check for updates in Dreamweaver, Adobe Reader 9, Photoshop Elements 8 with the same error message: The update server is not responding . . .please try again later.
I can run the updater successfully on my Mac immediately after getting this message on the Windows machine.
Are there any solutions to this problem or is it an ongoing issue as there seems to be a few threads asking the same question?
I posted the answer on another reply, but I know exactly HOW frustrated you must be because I was in the exact boat and felt like throwing my laptop out of a window. Simply follow the following easy steps:
1. Open Network and Sharing Center
2. Click Change adapter settings
3. Right-click the Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter, and click Disable.
4. Open Adobe Reader and Help > Check for Updates
And voila, updates a la Adobe Updater. Enjoy!
My God it worked! How did you find this solution? I Googled "Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter" and found it creates a "virtual" wi-fi card that can cause problems resolving DNS. Do you think Adobe's Update Server couldn't function because of this?
At any rate I greatly appreciate your help!
That is a great catch. I fiddled with my firewall on a few different occasions assuming that was the problem. Never would have guessed the mini-port adapter. It would be nice if Adobe put out a knowledgebase article!
Brilliant answer. One note, when I got through, it wanted to install a new Adobe Updater, and the default location to install it does not exist in Windows 7 64 bit. After redirecting that, it worked perfectly.
Great answer Ken7795. However, that was not sufficient for my copy of Win 7. I also had to disable another network adapter entitled "Broadcom Virtual Wireless Adapter". I wonder if that is the solution for you Win 8 folks. Many thanks.
PROBLEM RESOLVED!!! I FINALLY FOUND THE SOLUTION!!!
~For Windows 8~
1) Under Control Panel, navigate to the top right search bar and type in "device manager"
2) Click on "Device manager" after the search
You should see a tree-like map of your devices in the new window
3) Navigate: view>show hidden devices
4) Under "Network adapters", right click on the "Microsoft Wi-fi Direct Virtual Adapter" and select disable.
5) Run updates for your Adobe software on your Windows 8 machine and VOILA!!