Skip navigation
nickharambee2
Currently Being Moderated

How do I render stock footage as a flash file with a transparent background?

Mar 8, 2010 1:28 AM

Hi

I have some stock footage of smoke on a black background (.mov format) that I would like to convert to a flash file with a transparent background, which I will be overlaying over a PNG image on a webpage.

I have managed to remove the black background in After Effects using a plugin called UnMult, but when I try to render as a FLV file in AE, even though I check the option to preserve the alpha channel and encode using the On2 VP6 codec, I still get a black background.

So I am wondering what else to try, whether it be with AE or Flash CS4.  Is there a way of achieving this effect by directly importing the MOV file into Flash CS4 and removing the black background there, or do I have to use AE, and if so, how to achieve the effect I am looking for?

I would be grateful for any help in getting this together

Thanks

Nick

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 8, 2010 7:51 AM   in reply to nickharambee2

> I  have managed to remove the black background in After Effects using a plugin called UnMult, but when I try to render as a FLV file in AE, even though I check the option to preserve the alpha channel and encode using the On2 VP6 codec, I still get a black background.<

Are you absolutely sure you don't have the alpha? It's possible your viewer is just showing black because that's what it defaults to with transparency.

That issue with alpha viewing is often quite simply solved but I am NOT familiar with Flash's various codec functions. There are only a few codecs that will support alpha. In many codecs, the checkbox for preserving alpha actually accomplishes nothing since the codec cannot support the information. Also, you must choose "millions of color +" regardless of the preserver alph setting.

bogiesan

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 8, 2010 11:04 AM   in reply to nickharambee2

Render out a Quicktime (animation codec @ best/full, and use a straight alpha channel).

Then, use Adobe Media Encoder to encode the video to the FLV format.

In the options for FLV, choose on2, or Spark compression, but make sure that you enable the compression of the alpha channel.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points