Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

video file too large

Mar 8, 2010 11:47 AM

Hi

I want to submit a 2 minute video to a BBC competition.  They stipulate max file size 50MB.  My video is HDV 405MB size.  A downscaled DVD version is still 95MB, probably because most shots involve a lot of movement.  I tried reducing the target bitrate to 1.5Mbps but even that gives 75MB size.  Reducing the max bitrate from 9MB to 6MB actualy increased the file size to 102MB!!!  Can anyone recommend suitable software/codec to downconvert it to 50MB while retaining as much quality as possible? 

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 8, 2010 12:07 PM   in reply to Tim Flippance

Tim,

What formats are allowed by the competition? Likely that you can find a CODEC that will yield good bit-rate, but higher compression. You might good luck with something like DivX, but then one of the HD WMV CODEC's might work well too. Still, without knowing what is acceptable, it will just be a crap-shoot.

Also, programs like Sorensen Squeeze might be very useful to "squeeze" out as much as is possible.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2010 12:15 PM   in reply to Tim Flippance

You will achieve that with the Youtube preset in PPro.

(Hopefully they will accept the mpeg-4  CODEC )

Adjust the bitrate to get to target but I am sure you will find the quality acceptable.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2010 12:33 PM   in reply to Tim Flippance

What version PPRO?

Its in H.264 section

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2010 1:12 PM   in reply to Tim Flippance

Tim,

Great news, and glad that they accept formats that work well with your footage. Hope that H.264 can get it small enough for you, and for them.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - some users find that either the Lead, or the MainConcept H.264 CODEC work better than the H.264 from Apple - just an observation from other users' experiences.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points