Skip navigation
JariSt_Ho
Currently Being Moderated

MOV Codec for Premiere Pro

Mar 9, 2010 7:24 AM

Hi There....how can i get a MOV codec for Premiere Pro CS3....? it was captured using Mac by Final Cut Pro....i don't have mac so, i'm using Premiere CS3 to edit....any suggestion? really appreciate it....

Jario

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 9, 2010 7:28 AM   in reply to JariSt_Ho

Jario,

It all depends on exactly what the CODEC is, inside that MOV "wrapper." Could be one of many different ones. This ARTICLE will give you a bit of background on wrappers.

Also note: some Mac CODEC's are Mac-ONLY, and will not load, or work on a PC. You might be lucky, or maybe not.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2010 8:58 AM   in reply to JariSt_Ho

There are dozens of HD CODEC's for FCP and the Mac. It will depend on which one was used.

Can you Open/Play the files in Apple's QT Player? I believe that the regular player has a limited Properties screen, but know that the Pro version does, Ctrl+J. Also, though it is a bit light with MOV files, the great free utility, G-Spot, should get you the basic info.

If these files were created with one of the Mac-only CODEC's, they can only be edited on a Mac with those CODEC's. Whether you buy one, or not, is up to you, and would be based on how important these files are to you.

Now, back in FCP, the editor should be able to Export to an HD CODEC, that IS available on the PC, like H.264.

Good luck, and knowing the exact CODEC used will be the key to your success and to your decisions.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2010 9:30 AM   in reply to JariSt_Ho

It's probably HDV that was captured to the Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC). There is no QT playback component on Windows for this codec, but you could convert the files to Apple ProRes 422 on a Mac and you will then be able to playback and edit them on a PC.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2010 8:37 AM   in reply to JariSt_Ho

I may be mistaken, but AFAIK there is not yet any support for XDCAM 50 Mbps footage. It is limited to 35 Mbps.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2010 1:24 PM   in reply to JariSt_Ho

you can try

http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/

is very cheap but you can only install on a single machine. see more on the home page

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points