Skip navigation
rjfoster03
Currently Being Moderated

Linking issue

Mar 11, 2010 2:01 AM

I am trying to establish an email link that will be at the bottom of each web page.  I highlight the email address, establish the link with mailto:..... and when I am finished, the text disappears due to assuming the color of the background.

I want the email text to be white and underlined.  I have tried several different methods to obtain the results I want, but everything ends up altering the entire site.  All links end up being dramatically changed.

I don't want to affect the entire CSS Style of the site, only the email address to allow it to activate sending an email.  I want the link to remain white/underlined  on the page, while not affecting any other links associated with the site.

I have tried highlighting the text, establishing the link, going down into the Properties box and changing the color- it goes back to matching the color of the background and therefore can not be seen.

I have gone into CSS Styles / Summary for Selection and altered the properties found in the selections.  I can get the results I want, but EVERY other link within the site takes on those properties too.

Any suggestions as to what I am doing incorrectly or how to correct this to make only this link be the way that I want it would be appreciated.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 11, 2010 2:35 AM   in reply to rjfoster03

To change the properties of specific links on a page you would target the container in which they are inserted.

For example if I have a link within a <div> container with the id 'footer' (see below)

<div id="footer"><a href="something.com">Something Link</a></div>

I would target that link with css like so:

#footer a {

color: #fff;

text-decoration: underline;

}

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2010 4:08 AM   in reply to rjfoster03

rjfoster03 wrote:

Thanks for the help....

If the link is not at the footer, but within a block that is higher up, how do I "name" it or locate it so I can have it to work and be white /underlined?

Post your pages code here and tell me what link it is you are trying to change.

Go to code view in Dreamweaver, select it all, paste it in a reply here.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2010 7:54 AM   in reply to rjfoster03

Well first of all if you want the email text to be a clickable link you have to make it a link by wrapping it in an anchor tag (see below)

I've used xxxxxxx in place of your correct email address. I would edit your orginal post to remove the email address otherwise spam bots will harvest it and you could get a post bag full of rubbish.

Select the email text and type mailto:xxxxx@xxxxxxxxx.xxx.com (your correct email address) in the link box in the properties inspector box. This will give you the code below:

<td class="white"><p class="style1">For an indepth proposal and/or pricing, please contact Rice  &amp; Associates, Inc. (336) 370-1555 or e-mail <a href="mailto:xxxxx@xxxxxxxxx.xxx">xxxxx@xxxxxxxxx.xxx.com</a></p></td>

Next, because the email text is in a <td> cell with the class name 'white', you need to add the below css code to your css style sheet:

.white a {

color: #fff;

text-decoration: underline;

}

Finished.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2010 8:25 AM   in reply to rjfoster03

rjfoster03 wrote:

I will try the coding, but I am now trying to find out how to edit the post.

I do not see any button allowing for this, so am I missing something?  I only see an edit function with this posting.

Humm........... maybe the edit feature is time sensitive and is deactivated. That's stupid

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2010 8:59 AM   in reply to rjfoster03

rjfoster03 wrote:

I did post something earlier with regards to spacing between paragraphs. Any suggestions?  lol

I've supplied an answer to that in your other thread.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points