Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Making a Cover

Mar 13, 2010 9:10 AM

I'm a little confused about when it's the best choice to build a book cover in InDesign vs Photoshop. I have the option of either bringing all the separate elements into InDesign and then resizing them or can have one photoshop file and bring all the elements into there, and then import it into indesign.  How do you decide what would be best?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 13, 2010 9:23 AM   in reply to kpdesigns492

Hello,

With InDesign, the best solution is to use Marc Autret's script, HurryCover. You can download it on scriptopedia.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2010 10:30 AM   in reply to kpdesigns492

There's no hard and fast rule. It really depends on the design.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2010 12:08 PM   in reply to kpdesigns492

If you need type, I'd use InDesign.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2010 12:14 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

If there's a lot of type, I'd agree. But for just a few words, no real problem using Photoshop. But remember to save as PDF to prevent it from being rasterized.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2010 9:12 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

HUH!? Indesign rasterizes the file?

I brought in a high quality jpg from photoshop as my cover.

No no?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2010 9:20 AM   in reply to amebade05

A JPEG, no matter how high the quality, will always be rasterized.

What Bob said.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2010 10:34 AM   in reply to amebade05

Bob means that saving as PDF in Photoshop will keep the TYPE or any other vector content you've included from being raterized.

If your imported jpeg looks bad in ID there are two possibilities. First, you need to fix your Display performance settings: View > Dispaly Performance > High Quality Display. By default ID uses a lower resoution preview to speed up screen drawing, but unless you have huge complex images and a slow machine, it's going to drive you nuts.  You can change the setting in the preferences with nothing open and it will become the default for new work.

If that doesn't fix the arrearance, odds are that there is neot enough image data to print at the size you are using the image. Select it, open the info panel and look at the "effective" resolution numbers. Anything much below 300 ppi is going to be a probelm for press output, below 200 ppi wopuld be a problem for digital output. It makes no differnce what resolution the image was saved at, only what the effective resolution will be at the size you intend to print. You can't scale a tiny image upwards and expect good results. This is another argument, in my opinion, in favor of using ID, where this becomes instantly apparent.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 9:27 AM   in reply to kpdesigns492

Hi all,

Just to mention that HurryCover 2.01 is now available with tons of new features:

Home page: http://www.indiscripts.com/category/projects/HurryCover

User's Guide (EN): http://www.indiscripts.com/blog/public/scripts/en_HurryCover-Manual.pd f

User's Guide (FR): http://www.indiscripts.com/blog/public/scripts/fr_HurryCover-Manual.pd f

@+

Marc

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 22, 2012 11:52 AM   in reply to Marc Autret

A little clarification: No, InDesign did not raterize your jpg. Photoshop raterized your jpg because jpg is always flattened since ithe file format doesn't allow for any layers at all. So if you had a text layer, it and all other layers are flattened by Photoshop when saving,

To save a file with layers and keep the text editable, save the original file as either Photoshop PDF, Photoshop document- PSD, or Tiff. Just make sure that Save Layers is checked your save dialog box.

A Photoshop PDF is the recommended format for InDesign to output text as vector. Even a native Photoshop document with text layers will be output at the resolution of the Photoshop file when placed in InDesign.

A Photoshop PDF, using Save or Save and selecting Photoshop PDF in the pulldown list creates a special flavor of PDF (I think it is a PPF? but will still have PDF extension) that will allow Photoshop to reopen and edit with all the layers still intact.

PDFs created by all other software, even with vector text in them, will be rasterized if opened in Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points