Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Premiere Elements 4/Photoshop elements 7 - grayed out menu

Mar 17, 2010 10:32 AM

I am a total newbie with no artistic skills at all.  I am just trying to create a DVD using ONE clip.

I want to create a still shot from the clip to use as a menu background.

According to the Premiere Elements 4 help screen I should just have to click on the camera and then have the OPTION to edit the image in Photoshop Elements.  For my setup this option is grayed out.  All I can do is save the image as a .bmp (bitmap).

Can someone tell me why this is?  Did I do something wrong in setup?

Is there a good book for PE ver 4?

thanks

Mark

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 17, 2010 11:01 AM   in reply to Mark30Croton

Usually Premiere Elements and Photoshop Elements communicate best with each other when they're a matched set.

Premiere Elements 4 goes with Photoshop Elements 6.

Premiere Elements 7 goes with Photoshop Elements 7, and Premiere Elements 8 goes with Photoshop Elements 8.

However, sometimes they can find each other for basic editing. Try reinstalling Premiere Elements 4 now that Photoshop Elements 7 is on your machine so that it can find it.

As for books, version 4 comes right between our version 2 book (Premiere Elements 2 in a Snap) and my "Muvipix.com Guide to Adobe Premiere Elements 7". But version 4 and version 7 are close enough that the version 7 book (which is virtually the only book for either version, other than Adobe's Classroom in a Book series). It's available on Amazon.com.

You may also benefit from my free Basic Training tutorials at Muvipix.com, a great site for learning the program and finding support for it.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2010 11:12 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

I suspect that there would be a way to accomplish this objective with PE 4 and PSE 7 even thought it might not be as direct as it would be with PE 7 and PSE 7.

I want to create a still shot from the clip to use as a menu background.

Steve,

Referencing back to this request in the initial post -

The create a still shot seems to be the capture a screen shot function of Premiere Elements 4, which I think should allow for saving in other formats than .bmp. Then once that is saved (in a folder of the user's choice) as a still shot (perhaps .jpg or .psd), it could be opened as a "normal" open from the Photoshop Elements Editor IF photo editing is required.

(My intent here is twofold. First, save in a format other than .bmp. Second, avoid the need to use the direct "Edit in Photoshop Elements" function because this is PE 4 and PSE 7 (which as you mentioned probably do not support the direct transfer. )

It is for the use as a menu background, that I can not answer. In PE 4, how is the user photo file utilized as the menu background ?

(In the Prem Elem 7 muvipix guide discussing the DVD menu on page 129 shows "click to replace background of menu with your own still .." Does that also work in PE 4 ?)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2010 11:24 AM   in reply to Barb__O

>In the Prem Elem 7 muvipix guide discussing the DVD menu on page 129 shows "click to replace background of menu with your own still .." Does that also work in PE 4 ?

Yes, it does, Barb.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2010 11:54 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Thanks Steve

Mark,

It seems that the PE 4 Freeze Frame (capture a still) function and the PE 4 DVD menu creation function of replace Background of your Menu will give you what you need.

Yes, you don't have that automatic switching of programs over to Photoshop Elements, but I don't think you need that for your current objective of the DVD menu background photo.  If you do need to edit the photo file created from the PE 4 Freeze Frame, you would need to start the PSE 7 editor yourself and use its Open function to locate the photo file created by the Freeze frame and then save your edited photo wherever you wish for later use as the DVD menu background photo.   

I don't have a specific answer about saving in bmp versus other formats. I suggest that you review the possible Settings changes when you are doing the PE 4 Freeze Frame.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2010 12:34 PM   in reply to Mark30Croton

Mark30Croton wrote:

Thanks Barb and Steve

You have both answered my question.

Now if I wasn't so intimidated by the software I might try it

Do you think it would make sense to upgrade to version 8 of both?  I am thinking of upgrading to a new PC since this software is such a resorce hog!

I really need to get some books altho I read the PSE 7 missing manual and it described features that didnt work on my PC!!

AGH!!

Mark

Mark,

for the specific question that you asked in this thread, my response is a very definitive no about upgrading to version 8 of Photoshop and Premiere Elements to solve that problem. I think that would be overkill and might introduce new and different problems.

Your PSE 7 questions can be addressed in the Adobe PSE forum, where the PSE 7 Missing manual author is a frequent contributor. Steve mentioned using the muvipix Premiere Elements 7 book with Premiere Elements 4 and of course you can ask questions either here or on the muvipix.com site.

Looking at your question of upgrading in more general terms -

What version of Windows are you running ? What format are the video files that you wish to edit?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2010 12:57 PM   in reply to Barb__O

IIRC, one can choose TIFF, as well as BMP for the Freeze Frame Export. I choose TIFF for this, and then Save_As PSD out of Photoshop. I have never had a single issue using this workflow. I do have to admit that I am usually creating my Menu in Photoshop for use in Adobe Encore, so there could be additional considerations when using the Menu editing functions in PrE. There might be some specific limitations there.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2010 1:27 PM   in reply to Mark30Croton

Mark,

Don't be embarassed. When I first started using Premiere Elements, I asked questions every step of my workflow.

just a little more detail on your home movies - what format are they?

If you are not sure of the format, post the make and model of your camcorder or still camera that is taking these movies.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 18, 2010 2:09 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Meantime, be sure to check out those Basic Training tutorials at Muvipix I referenced in my very first post!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points