Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flash does not work in browsers

New Here ,
Mar 18, 2010 Mar 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am using Windows 7 Home Premium. Flash player is crashing in Chrome 4.1.249.1036, IE8 and Firefox 3.5.8.

I followed the instructions in the posting Help with Flash Player Please... as close as possible but still no luck.

What else must I look at?

Thanks

Lubbe1331

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, that thread sounds familiar. When you Uninstalled, did you have any problem or messages? Any problems Installing?

Did you use IE to install, or just FF or other browsers?

Is Win7 64bit?

Have you checked your Flash files to see what has been installed? Do you know how to find the Flash folder?

Are you the Administrator?

If you could provide those answers it would be helpful.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eidnolb,

Thanks for your response and sorry about the delay. I have just got out of bed over here.

Uninstall worked without messages. The C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\ directory did not have a Flash directory.

I used both IE and then the other browsers, rebooting between them.

Windows is 32 bit.

I am the administrator.

The directory was recreated - see below.

FlashDir.JPG

What is my next step?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lubbe, Well according to my World Clock you might be in the UK area perhaps. I'm in the U.S. EST(EDT now)

You have the correct Flash files for IE and "other browsers" (FF & Chrome)

Now what we want to check is the add ons that work with Flash Player.

Using IE, go to Tools or Add-ons and find Shockwave Flash Object..ActiveX Control...Flash10e.ocx (vs. 10.0.45.2) and

make sure it is enabled.

Using FF or Chrome, go to plug-ins and find SWF vs 10.0.45.2 and make sure it is enabled. Also if there is more than one

listing of SWF, I need to know that.

If the above is as it should be then there is another problem. But check those first and post back.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eidnolb,

I have checked and it is enabled in both FireFox and IE and it only appears once.

Going off to town and will be back in about 2 hours.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lubbe, If the SWF is vs 10.0.45.2 and the IE is Flash10e.ocx(vs 10.0.45.2) then your Flash Player files and the 2 mentioned add ons are correct.

Next, we want to look at Java. Go to Programs and Features and post back all of the listings of Java with the version numbers. While you are there, look for a DLM(download manager) or a getPlus. If either one of those are listed, Remove

both and Reboot(restart) your computer.

Post back your Anti-Virus/Spyware program that you use, with the version number please. Also does it contain a Firewall? If not do you have a third party Firewall or do you just use the Windows Firewall?

Do you use ad-block that Firefox has? If so disable it for now until we get done checking for problems.

Do you use any pop-up/ad blocker software?

Using IE, go to Tools>Internet Options and delete: cookies, temp files and the offline content. Go back to Internet Options

and click on the Security Tab and for the Internet Zone, set it to Medium.

It may be day for you when it is night for me. What is your time zone? It helps for me to know.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2010 Mar 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eidnolb,

Java:  Java 6 Update 18

In Firefox the plugins are:    Java Development Toolkit 6.0.170.4

Java Deployment Toolkit  6.0.180.7

Java Platform SE 6 U 18 6.0.180.7

I don't see DLM or getPlus in the Control Panel

For the first time in my life I am using the Windows Firewall and Virus Protection only.

In FireFox I unchecked: Block Popup Windows - Still not working

In IE I cleared the browing history, cookies, etc - Still not working.

I am in South Africa which is GMT+2 so we are different time zones. It is now 10:45 am.

Thanks for your help.

Lubbe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lubbe, thanks for the info. I need to have you clarify the Flash directory. You said you did not have it at

C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash. Do you have C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash? Please check.

Also find the NPSWF32.dll and NPSWF32_FlashUtil.exe and right click on each one and then click on Properties. I need the version numbers from each one.

In your Firefox plug-ins for Java you listed Java Deployment Toolkit 6.0.170.4. This should not be there. Go back to

Programs and Features and you should only have Java 6 Update 18. Any other listing needs to be Removed. After you

remove other Java listings, then Reboot(restart) your computer. Keep Java 6 Update 18 only.

Then check your Firefox plug-ins for Java to see if that 6.0.170.4 has been removed also. If not, Disable it.

Do you use any third party Toolbars? If so which ones?

You have 3 browsers. Any and all add ons, whether ActiveX Controls, BHO's(browser helper objects), plug-ins, extensions all affect the browsers. Some are good and some are bad. Not only do these affect the browsers, they often

conflict with each other. Trying to determine the good from the bad and whether this one conflicts with that one is not

only time consuming but is a trial and error exercise. Each browser will have their own "set". I prefer to work with the IE

since it is the natural browser for the Windows platform. I can work with Firefox after that. However, the Chrome browser

I will leave to you.

I would like for you to post back your add-ons in IE only at this time.

I know you said you use the Windows Firewall, which is fine. I am not clear on the Anti-Virus program though. Have you installed the Microsoft Security Essentials which is a free Anti-Virus/Spyware program? You may need to have a full scan of your computer to make sure it is free from any Virus or Spyware.

If you have any questions, please ask.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eidnolb,

I don't have a ...\SysWow64 directory.

The version numbers of NPSWF32.dll and NPSWF32_FlashUtil.exe is 10.0.45.2

I removed the other Java listing from FireFox and rebooted - Still not working.

There are no other toolbars I can find.

IE addins I found 2 addins (research and discuss) I was not aware of and I disabled them. (See below)

Yes, It is Microsoft Security Essentials I am using. I ran a full scan and there was nothing out of the ordinary. The definitions are also up to date.

I also did a sfc /scannow and nothing.

What else do you suggest I should be looking at?

Thanks

Lubbe

IEAddIns.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lubbe, thank you. Your Flash Player files and the SWO for IE are all correct. The NPSWF files for FF are the correct

versions, so your Flash Player files for FF are correct.

Well you have done a lot of checking and troubleshooting and clean up which is good.

Flash Player is installed correctly for IE.

Here are a couple of things I need for you to check. Thanks for the screenshot, by the way. However I only saw one Java

add on for IE. There should be more and you may have more add ons in addition to the Java.

In IE8, I understand there is a "View & Manage Your Internet Explorer add-ons" At the bottom left is  "All add-ons" with

a down arrow. I think the add ons are in categories, ActiveX Controls, Run without Permissions, IE All add ons, etc.

When the Flash Player is installed correctly in IE and FF, then something else is causing a problem and that is what we

are trying to find out now. You've done everything correctly and there should not be a problem.

Just a thot, before you installed Microsoft Security Essentials, did you remove any and all other Anti-Virus programs that were installed? What was the program that you used?

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eidnolb,

Below is the screenshot looking at all the Add-ons.

I never used any other anti-virus software on this PC.

Thanks

IEAddIns.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 20, 2010 Mar 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lubbe, thank you for this screenshot. If these are the only add ons you have in IE, I don't see anything that would conflict with your browser or each other.

This is a test site to see if you have the correct Java installed and if it is working correctly.

http://www.java.com/en Click on "Do I have Java?", then there is another test involving JVM(Java Virtual Machine), take

that on also.  Use IE first and then do the test using FF.

Then using IE, go to Tools>Internet Options>Security Tab>Click Custom level, in Security level for this zone, look under

Active Scripting, make sure a check mark is Enable.

Use FF, select Options from the Tools drop-down menu. Select the Content section from the Options at the top of the op-up page.Check the "Block pop-up windows", "Load images automatically", "Enable JavaScript" and "Enable Java" boxes.

After you finish those tasks, post back your FF add ons, plug-ins and extensions.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eidnolb,

I tested Java in it indicated that I have the corrected version installed, but in FF the first screen said that I did not have the latest version. However when I clicked the link that did the test then it said that Java is working and I have the latest version. Strange?

ActiveX scripting in IE is enabled and all the boxes ticked in FF.

Below is the screenshots of the FF extensions and plugins.

Lubbe

FFExtentions.JPG

FFPlugins.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lubbe, thanks for checking the Java. I'm not sure why the first test with FF indicated that. We'll check this:

Use your FF browser for this.

Go to Start, Control Panel and double click on the Java Icon(coffee cup), click on Advanced Tab, double click on Default

Java for Browsers. When this opens, make sure a check mark is entered beside Microsoft Internet Explorer and also

Mozilla Family. If a check mark is missing, put one in. Clcik Apply, ok and Reboot your computer. Let me know what you needed to do, if anything. Now if either check mark is entered but greyed out so you cannot uncheck it I need to know this

also. Now when you finish this go back and double click on the Java Icon and click on the Version tab and find out what

version is listed.(Since the Java test said you didn't have the latest version) Perhaps the test site has a glitch.

As soon as you finish the Java check above, here is what I would suggest you try.

With the Firefox browser, go into your plug-ins and Disable All of them except the SWF and Java. Then try your websites.

When you finish that, do the same thing using IE. Disable All except the SWO and Java.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lubbe, If you haven't done anything yet. Do this first. I just noticed in your FF plug-ins I missed one.

The reason Java on the first test with FF, is that the old Java Toolkit vs 6.0.170.4 is there. Remove that plug-in. I forgot

when we removed it from add/remove and IE, to have you remove it from FF.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eidnolb,

The other Java plugins have already been disabled and there was no way I could see how to delete them from FF.

The default Java browser for Windows is Internet Explorer and Mozilla Family. However Internet Explorer is greyed out.

The Java version is Version 6 Update 18 Build 1.6.0_18-607

After disabling all plugins and rebooting the problems still exist in bot IE and FF.

Lubbe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lubbe, You mean you can't right click or remove that Java plug-in FF? The screenshot you sent for the FF plug-ins

shows Java Deployment Toolkit 6.0.170.4, Java Deployment Toolkit 6.0.180.7 and Java (TM) Platform SE 6 U 18 6.0.180.7

Now when you checked the version using FF for the Default it is showing vs 6 U 18 1.6.0_18-607. This is older than what

is listed in the FF plug-ins. Something is out of sync. Go back and double click on the Java Icon and update it.

In the Default Java for Browsers, Was a check mark in the IE box, even tho it was greyed out? Can you "uncheck it"

Now when you tested IE and FF on the websites, did you have all add ons and plug-ins disabled EXCEPT SWO and Java for IE and SWO and Java for FF?

Also when you tried a website what message did you get or what happened? With IE and with FF. How are they not working?

If we can't get this Java cleared up you may have to Remove it all from Programs and Features and re-install.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 21, 2010 Mar 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi eidnolb,

In FF you can only enable/disable plugins.

I now removed Java completely using Control Panel and then using the Windows Installer Cleanup. The after a reboot I reinstalled and I can now play youtube videos using FF and Chrome. http://www.cricinfo.com is also now working. I will do some more checks later today to make certain everything is working and will then report back again. Hopefully we now have success!

Incidentally Chrome reports that the addin failed and IE and FF reported that they stopped working

Thanks for all your help.

lubbe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 21, 2010 Mar 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello Lubbe, Your report sounds good. I think uninstalling and re-installing Java was needed, glad you went ahead and

did that. Sometimes that is best instead of trying to "patch" a program.

Your sentence about Chrome reporting that the add ins failed and IE & FF reported that they stopped working, are you

referring to Java?

Looking forward to hearing back after you do more checks.

Thanks,

eidnolb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines