Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Flash Player won't install on firefox

Mar 20, 2010 4:42 PM

Win 7 Home Premium 64

Firefox

When I try to install Flash using a plug in pop up on firefox, I get this  error message:

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Loca\Temp|FP_PL_PFS_INSTALLER-4.exe
The  specified procedure could not be found

When I click on manual install, I  get this error message:

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles4ou8fmmf.
Default\extensions\{E2883E8F-472F-4fb0-9522-AC9BF37916A7}\chrome\
Content\getPlusPlus_Adobe_reg.exe
The  specified procedure could not be found.

Works in IE.

The files are in the locations specified above, however, they will not install correctly when you click.  When you click on the fp_pl.... file,, you see two small windows pop up too quick to read, but install does not work.

Thx

spencer

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 20, 2010 4:54 PM   in reply to SpencerTN

Hi Spencer, Let's see what of Flash Player is and is not installed. Go to C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash

Open the Flash folder and post back all of the files listed there. The IE files version numbers will be evident. However,

the FF(Firefox) and "other browser" files will not. Right click on NPSWF32.dll and NPSWF32_FlashUtil.exe and then click

on Properties to obtain the version numbers for each.

Then using IE, find in your manage add ons Shockwave Flash Object...ActiveX Control...Flash10e.ocx and make sure it

is enabled and is vs 10.0.45.2.

Then using FF, find in the plug-ins the SWF vs 10.0.45.2 and make sure it is enabled. If there are more than one listing of

the SWF, I need to know that also. I understand that vs 10.0.45.2 may not be there since you are having a problem installing. I just want to make sure.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2010 5:34 PM   in reply to SpencerTN

Hi Spencer, The Flash Player files for IE and the SWO add on are correct.

I would download and SAVE to your Desktop this FF Installer:

http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash _player.exe

Unlike IE Flash Player Installs, due to the ActiveX Control that is used, you shouldn't have any problem with Anti-Virus/Firewall blocks with FF.

I would however, close all browsers and RUN it then. After installed, Reboot(restart) your computer. Then you can check

the Flash files and get the versions and check the SWF in the FF plug-in.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2010 5:48 PM   in reply to SpencerTN

Hi, I have not encountered this before. During the install with that link for FF, you received that message? Is this from

Windows or your Anti-Virus/Firewall or IE ?

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2010 6:00 PM   in reply to SpencerTN

That is strange that I have not encountered this before. I've worked with so many with Win7/IE8 users, never came up

before.  I will have to do some searching on Microsoft. I would just off the top of my head guess that this is an IE8 feature,

since Flash Player is a browser plug-in and not a program per se.

So did the FP get installed? Did you check the Flash folder?  If they are installed, then I know what you need to do to get

the SWF add on, but first things first.

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2010 6:13 PM   in reply to SpencerTN

Ok, Spencer, you have the FF Flash Player files installed!! Now I doubt if the SWF plug-in has been installed in the plug-in section for FF.  You can check and if it is, let me know. But more than likely it is not. If not, using the FF browser, go here:

http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

If there is a message that you need a plug-in, do whatever it says. Then post back after you have checked for the SWF.

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2010 6:26 PM   in reply to SpencerTN

Well, there must be some setting within the IE8 or Win7. It doesn't help since I don't know what it is without taking time

to search for it. Let me check Mozilla and see what they say. I have some FF plug-in info in my folders. Let me check and

I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Thanks,

eidnolb

You can try this test site from Adobe, won't hurt anything, you may get a different message without the DLM.

http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2010 7:02 PM   in reply to SpencerTN

Hi, You are correct, it wouldn't have anything to do with IE8. Ever since Win7 came out, I know it has IE8 so I just connect the two in my brain.LOL  I read that you can't go back to any other version of IE, with Win7.

Firefox calls their add ons "plug-ins"; Internet Explorer calls their add ons "ActiveX Controls". Adobe calls Flash Player a browser "plug-in" Now most likely you will find the Flash Player listed in the add/remove or programs and features section, where programs are listed. Confused yet? Now when Flash Player is installed using IE, 4 files are installed into

the Flash folder. That alone is not enought for Flash Player to work. In the IE add ons, the Shockwave Flash Object, yes the ActiveX Control and it is the Control must be there and enabled.

Now if Flash Player is installed in FF, also 4 files are installed into the Flash folder. You have 8 files, so you have all of what you need for Flash Player to work using IE since you have the SWO. FF also needs that "control", but it is called

SWF(Shockwave Flash) and it must be enabled. The SWF is called a "plug-in".

The only thing I found on Mozilla is how to install the Flash Player "plug-in" which I thot they meant the SWF. No they

mean how to install what Adobe calls Flash Player, i.e. the "plug-in" Now are you confused? But you already have Flash Player installed and the 4 files are sitting in the Flash folder. Dizzy yet?

I am going to Microsoft and it may be tomorrow before we get an answer. LOL

Now I know why I liked Accounting, 2+2 was always 4.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2010 7:11 PM   in reply to eidnolb

Hi, I wanted to link to that Mozilla "plug-in" info. It may be that you can follow it and get this SWF installed. I don't see where it would hurt. There is also a video of the instructions.  Whether the message from Win7 would overrule this is hard to tell.  Might be worth looking at.

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Installing+the+Flash+plugin

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2010 7:52 PM   in reply to SpencerTN

Hi again, honestly. Hey where are all of the FF people? You know the ones that loathe IE? ROFL Oh, that's right, they are over at Google singing Chrome's praises, at least until a new kid shows up on the block. Well, I am going to review your

thread to see if there is anything that gives a hint as to what is causing this.

I just cannot imagine a "plug-in" being blocked?

Oh, what version of FF are you using?

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2010 8:16 PM   in reply to SpencerTN

Thanks Spencer, Since I don't use FF, is this the latest vs? I am reading here and don't know if this many questions about

FF is normal or more than usual; I'll let you decide.

http://support.mozilla.com/search.php?where=f&locale=en-US&qs=s&q=vers ion+3.6+problems&sa=

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2010 8:46 PM   in reply to SpencerTN

Hi, so from the iPhone:-)  I was just wondering if there may be a glitch or something. It happens with new versions. I try not to update on Patch Tuesday either for that very reason. LOL

Well I'll see what I can find out. Like I said I had never heard of what you have experienced so for me it is something new.

Have a good night.

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2010 9:27 PM   in reply to eidnolb

just got this to work...

after trying to manual install, like in your original post:

close firefox

find getPlusPlus_Adobe_reg.exe and run it. leave it open

start firefox

if there are errors or firefox can't find hosts restart it

I did this and getPlus downloaded and installed flash player

win 7 64

firefox 3.6

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2010 9:45 PM   in reply to bigyooper

where did you get getPlusPlus_Adobe_reg.exe?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2010 9:51 PM   in reply to bigyooper

still doesn't show up in firefox, even after plugin installs and system is rebooted.

bummer....

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2010 9:52 PM   in reply to cliff roy

read first post in the string

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2010 6:39 PM   in reply to SpencerTN

Hi Spencer, Well they came out with that update fast. I just read Mozilla yesterday and they said 3/30/10 for the update.

I'm assuming when you said the DLM downloaded the file, you are speaking of the update. Does this have any meaning?

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/forum/1/626868?s=Shockwave%20Flash%20 wont%27%20install%20in%20add-ons&as=q

I have entered searches and can't get the results to match my search topic. 

I see the other helper is on, I'll see if he has any idea as to what might be going on.

By the way, do you have a getPlus or DLM plug-in, or add-on? I saw someone on the Firefox site saying they did.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2010 7:41 PM   in reply to SpencerTN

Hi, thanks. So you have those 2 plug-ins. Hmmm. Well, go to Programs and Features and see if the DLM/getPlus is listed

there also. If they are then that is problably your problem. I would remove both and Reboot. That should remove the getPlus extension and the DLM add on. Check though afterwards.

The DLM and the getPlus are supposed to disconnect after they download. However they don't always and have been

causing problems for I don't know how long. I have for quite some time advised users to Remove them both. They could be hanging up and that is why you are having a problem.

The last few days is the first I recall of them causing a problem with FF however.

If you are concerned about removing them, don't be. From what I can tell Firefox will use them again when  you try to

install that SWF 10.0.45.2 plug-in.

Let me know.

Thanks,

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2010 4:48 PM   in reply to SpencerTN

Pssst. I guess you didn't see my post 3 days ago when I figured this out

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2010 4:52 PM   in reply to SpencerTN

Hi Spencer, Well, actually the person that found out that it was bitdefender was bigyooper here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/601019?tstart=0

He put this thread up and we were hoping you and the others that were having the same problem that night would see it!

He contacted bitdefender about it but haven't heard if they have responded. He was one that was having that problem too that night.

Well I am glad everyone has it solved now

Thanks for the feedback, you just never know what is going to conflict.

eidnolb

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points