Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How can I make Acrobat stop shrinking scanned documents??

Mar 23, 2010 8:17 AM

Very fr

ustrated in the fact that every time I scan a document for various purposes, the end result has been shrunk

so that only certain areas of the document are seen in the .pdf file.  It seems to happen

especially with documents with alot of lines.  My goal is to scan a document, and have it look exactly like the document with no shrinkage.  Please help!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 23, 2010 1:30 PM   in reply to citadel89

Have you checked the preferences on the scan document menu (near the bottom of the page). That is the way Acrobat communicates with the scanner in terms of your desired results. Otherwise, use the scanner to create TIFF files and then open those files in Acrobat.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2010 2:17 PM   in reply to citadel89

Saving as a TIFF you would have to do by using the scanning software directly. TIFF is the common file type used by scanners. I am not sure I can help, but the menu items that are typically available depend on the scanner being used. So for others to help, they really need to know what your scanner model is. The OCR option or Text Recognition is an Acrobat option that allows you to scan simply to pictures (no OCR) or to do an optical character recognition. The latter usually has 3 flavors, but the very basic idea is to scan and replace scanned items by text or to scan and leave the graphic, but put text behind the graphics to be used for searching.

Without the model number, you may want to capture a screen view of the information and post the screen view here.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2010 5:13 PM   in reply to citadel89

Has anyone soleved this issue ?

I am having the same problem using my HP CM2320 NF Multi-Function machine.

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2011 12:51 PM   in reply to citadel89

I have the same issue with my Xerox Documate 152.  I'm trying to create a fillable form from a scanned document, but I need the user to print only the fields onto an original form.

When I scan the document -- and I've tried it as a .pdf and as a .tiff -- it is significantly different from the original.  When you hold the two up together in light, you can see how the scanned one is completely misaligned.  Looks like nearly a half inch vertically and maybe about 1/16th of an inch horizontally.  That means that when I create the form from the scanned document, the fields do not print onto the original form in the right places.

This isn't an Acrobat issue given that the same problem occurs with a .tiff file, but does anyone have a solution?  The scanned document simply doesn't match the original.  I can't find an answer elsewhere online.

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2011 8:40 AM   in reply to sajara

Make sure you have the correct paper size selected for your scanned documents.  For instance, if you scan a legal size document on letter size settings, it will shrink the document.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 11, 2011 4:03 PM   in reply to sandyseymour1958

The paper size is correct.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2011 8:39 AM   in reply to sandyseymour1958

My entire office is having the same problem starting about 2 months ago. We all scan in letter size documents to PDFs but it is shrinking them (for example we scan it and then reprint on letter size paper and shrunk about 20%). We all use Adobe Acrobat Professional does anyone have a solution. And no I not going to scan as a TIFF and then reopen in Abobe- what the point of pay $500+ per version of Pro if it can't scan in a simple page and then reprint it with the same dimensions.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 3, 2011 10:18 AM   in reply to clarkbart2

Is the document actually shrunk?. It is more likely that the document is scaled at the Print Dialog to fit the printers printable area. Disable or set Page Scaling to None

Acrobat Page Scaling.png

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 4, 2011 10:39 PM   in reply to citadel89

Could you please let us know what is the page size you mention while scanning and what is page size for the end result.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2011 1:41 AM   in reply to apangasa

Letter size and worked fine for over a year then all the sudden stopped on all our terminals. It is letter size both ways when I scan and when I print.

Put it this way- page has signature line at bottom of the page then about 1 inch to edge of paper. After I scan there is about 4 inches between signature line and bottom of the page (page is still only 11inches tall).... both when I print it or just pull it up in Adobe Professional 9 to view it.  

I discovered yesterday it has something to do with the WIA function we have always used to scan with HP printer. So started using the TWAIN scanner option and it doesn't shrink it  then but that effects some other functionality we were using but will have to figure that out too ... its not the print dialog... doesn't matter what I use the document is still shrunk.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2012 1:26 PM   in reply to Daniel Flavin

I think Daniel's got it- it looks right when viewing in PDF but then comers out small when printed- so it's a printing problem, not a scanning problem.   But in addition to selecting "none" on paper scaling when you go to print, you also need to select "choose paper source by PDF page size", or else while it will print full size the top gets cut off with a big margin at the botttom (why oh why I don't know).

But can I count on whoever I send my PDF to to know how to do all this?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 11, 2012 1:38 PM   in reply to Hey Yooz

Ok I am going to add something- I think I always had this problem when printing out any PDF (haven't you noticed over the years how PDFs often printed out a bit small?), it was just exagerated for some reason with the document I scanned.  So it is always a potential problem on the receiver's end.  Seems like Adobe should change the defaults to the settings I recommedn above.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2012 1:11 PM   in reply to citadel89

I had same problem and figured it out finally!  Problem was due to a change I made in my settings to scan a 8.5 x 14 document and I never changed it back.  If you scan something and then go to print it, look at your print screen and it will show the computer thinks it has an 8.5 x 14 document (because that is how it scanned) and it is trying to print it to 8.5 x 11 paper.  So it is a scan problem, not a print problem.    Go into your devices and printers prompt, then right click/open your scanning device/printer, in my case an Epson.  It then has a prompt for scanning that says "scanning actions", from there I selected "Scan a document or photo and it should then allow you to change the paper size back to 8.5 x 11.  After that my scans when printed matched the original size exactly.  That was my fix and it may explain why some on here said the problem seemed to pop up suddenly, probably after someone changed the scan settings so they could scan a 8.5 x 14 doc and then never changed it back.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2012 9:30 AM   in reply to citadel89

I am having troubles on scanning in a document too.   If you right click and “Document Properties…” , you will see in the advance box a “Page Size: 3.36 x 4.35 in”.  I have narrowed it down to Windows 7 and Acrobat Pro.  I have tried both versions 9 and 10 and both have problems.  I have a machine running XP with the same scanner and I get the correct size. As said above it can be done with WIA but to get setting you want, they are set on the fly and cannot be set in a default mode or I have not found out to do that yet.  Still look for a fix.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points