Skip navigation
Antoin151
Currently Being Moderated

Encore ~ building file system (sorting) access denied

Mar 28, 2010 11:49 AM

I am  working with a Windows 7 PC.   I am trying to archive old video footage  from 1982. I am used to Premiere but new to Encore.  I tried burning   this school play on standard DVD disk and it worked.  Then I tried dual  layer and my problems began.  Tried to burn to DVD Folder to simplify  and almost got there.

I suspect that part of the problem may be  that I export to Encore.  Put movie on timeline and am left with an  orphan timeline.   I have solved this by deleting the Premiere orphan.    I notice that on my last attempt "Menu Item I" has been added in white  to the main menu.

Antoin151

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 28, 2010 12:27 PM   in reply to Antoin151

What version of PrPro and Encore are you using? Are you using Adobe Dynamic Link?

The answers to those questions and the exact workflow will dictate the suggested steps for you to try.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 28, 2010 4:13 PM   in reply to Antoin151

Now, when you say "country wines," which country are you referring to? I've had many non-commercial wines, made at home by some of the most wonderful people. Just got a bottle from Transylvania, that I am hoping to try. Some of these could be refined a bit, maybe a little filtering and fining, and some do have a bit too much RS (Residual Sugar) to be considered balanced, but still many have been good, and there was "love" that went into their making, so I'd rather have many of those, than "factory-produced" commercial wines.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2010 4:18 PM   in reply to Antoin151

As my wife is from New Orleans, we're done in that area of the US often. Across Lake Pontchartrain, in the town of Pontchatoula, they have a strawberry festival and often some strawberry wine. Over ice, it's a very nice drink. Now, I would not "put down" a dozen cases to age, but on a hot Summer evening, it's fun drinking.

Back in Colorado, several vintners did various fruit-based wines, though most used vitis vinifera grapes for the majority of their productions. Of those producers, there was a mead offering, that was quite good.

I've had pineapple and papaya wines in Hawai`i, but none that I would write home about.

I try to experience as much as I can, and am often surprised at how nice some of these can be. Still, I consume 99:1 vitis vinifera.

Thanks for the clarification,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2010 4:30 PM   in reply to Antoin151
    By the way, why does Premiere export 2 files to Encore?   I find I have to delete the orphan timeline.   Why not just export the movie?   Am I missing something obvious?

Is this through Adobe Dynamic Link (ADL)? Looking in Encore's Project Panel, do you see both files? What are their extensions?

Now, I Export two files myself. One is a Video-only DV-AVI and the other an Audio-only AC3 (DD 5.1 SS), or Audio-only PCM/WAV. The DV-AVI is Imported into Encore as a Timeline, the AC3 Imported as an Asset. From the Project Panel, I drag the Audio to the appropriate Timeline, where it snaps into place.

Because I am on EncoreDVD 2.0, I do not use ADL.

Let us know about the files and their extensions please.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2010 6:58 PM   in reply to Antoin151

The PRPROJ file is the PrPro Project file. It is an XML database of links to Assets and instructions on what to do with those Assets.

This ARTICLE will give you some background on what is inside those PRPROJ (and PREL - PrElements) files.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2010 7:34 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Don't know if this should be the problem but Windows 7 as its syster windows Vista introduced a security (bug) I call it cause I do not think there is any reason for this type of interactions.

Well instaed of lunching Encore by left clicking its icon, just right click and select run as a administrator, a security warning will appear, in which you can also click on "select when this warning will appear option" and set it to never. then clcik okay and okay. Encore may not lunch at this point but repeat the process by right clicking and select as a administrator, now try burning your disc or image.

Hope that helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2010 12:03 PM   in reply to Luis Cepeda

I had an access denied error on a Mac which was solved by making the login I was working in admin. have no idea if that could help you...

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2010 5:30 AM   in reply to Luis Cepeda

I've just had exactly the same problem as above.  On a Windows 7 machine during the build process, an "Access Denied" error is given at the "Building File System (sorting)" stage.

Instead of running Encore under admin rights, I thought I'd take a look with SysInternals procmon to see exactly what file it was denied access to.  I found it was trying to open a file called:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Encore CS4\duallayervideotslayout.log

(Replace "Program Files (x86)" with just "Program Files" if you're on a 32-bit system...)

That's why we're getting the access denied error - Apps running as standard users aren't allowed to write directly into the Program Files folder these days!  To get around the problem, I created the missing file and gave the "Everyone" user "Full Control" permissions.

Now Encore builds my dual-layer dvd iso without any Access Denied errors and without running as Admin

Hope this helps someone...

Sean

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2010 12:35 PM   in reply to scardus01

Sean,

Good detective work and thanks for posting the solution.

Thanks,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 10, 2010 8:53 PM   in reply to scardus01

Great work Sean!  Your work-around worked for me.

Let's hope that Adobe gets this on the bug list and gets it fixed!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2010 6:29 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I just encountered this same problem under Encore CS5.

I resolved the issue by running Encore as an administrator (right click on the shortcut, go to properties, then in the compatibility tab, select 'Run as Administrator'.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2010 7:19 AM   in reply to Antoin151

Since Encore (and Premiere, as far as I know) require FULL access to the hardware to operate, I really don't see this as a bug or something Adobe needs to fix

I am the only user of my computer so have not looked in the release notes... so if it doesn't say so there, I agree that Adobe should add the Administrator requirement at the very top of the release notes

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2010 8:58 AM   in reply to John T Smith

Most Adobe programs do much better, when run as Administrator. Some programs do better, than others, but it's most likely a case of what they are required to access.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2010 9:24 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I am not 100% sure of this (like I said... only user so always Administrator) but I think this type of problem started with Vista... when Microsoft changed the rules of how programs are run

Again... this is not really Adobe's problem... other than there SHOULD be a warning during install (actually, a paper note to read before installing) that the program must be run and installed by the Administrator

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 4, 2010 5:58 PM   in reply to John T Smith

On my system, almost all Adobe programs at least "prefer" to be run from an Administrator account: PS, PrPro, PrE, InDesign, AI, Acrobat Pro, AfterEffects and Audition. On each forum, users have had issues with each, when they try to run with another level of account, and almost all of those problems disappear, when run from an Administrator account.

Like you, I cannot test this out easily, as I am the Administrator on all of my computers, and I have not lower-level accounts set up. All work perfectly for me. I never get one "access denied" error - ever.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 7, 2010 7:48 AM   in reply to John T Smith

@John

"I am not 100% sure of this (like I said... only user so always Administrator) but I think this type of problem started with Vista... when Microsoft changed the rules of how programs are run"

Actually, this "rule" (not using the Program Files folder to store data) has been in place since Windows 2000. Microsoft just didn't enforce it until Vista and now Windows 7.

This really IS Adobe's problem, and is nothing more than lazy programmers and poor QA practices. In this particular case, the Encore CS4 application is writing to a log file located in the Program Files folder (as discovered through Sean's excellent detective work). There is no reason for a log file to be in the Program Files folder. Once this is known, one can easily create an exception (but shouldn't have to) for this one file without running the entire application with admin privileges.

Outside of the intial program installation, writing anything to a Program Files folder is a "no-no". This poor program design should have been caught by Adobe's programmers and at the very least found by Adobe's QA process. Testing applications running under a normal user account (no admin privileges), should be a standard baseline of any software development QA practice (starting with Windows 2000). Many software developers have gotten away with poor program design (i.e. writing data to Program Files folder) for many years now, but these poor programming practices are getting "outed" with Windows Vista and now Windows 7 enforcing "the rules".

Unfortunately, the Windows UAC (User Account Control) in Windows Vista and Windows 7 has gotten blamed for what is really poor programming practices from third party developers that should have know the "rules" since Windows 2000.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 15, 2010 11:22 PM   in reply to Martyus

Thanks a lot for solving this issue and right clicking and running as administrator on my Windows 7 platform has now resolved this for me as well. However, I am the only user and I do have administrator rights so why am I getting this problem at all? Why do I need to right click and run as administrator when I already am????? Is there a setting in Windows 7 which needs to be invoked? I don't mind running my apps in this way but it just seems an unnecessary step when I am administrator (aren't I???)

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 24, 2010 2:16 PM   in reply to Steve Liles

Steve,

Just a guess, as I do not have Win7, but there have been many "security" features added, and more levels of permissions. I would assume that your User Account is lacking an important permission. Wish that I could tell you where to look, and what to look for, but you'll have get that info from a Win7 user.

Good luck, and glad that Rt-clicking w/ Run As Administrator is doing it for you.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2011 10:08 AM   in reply to scardus01

This thread gives me hope.

I've been re-building the same Encore project over and over again and getting the same annoying 'access denied' message every time exactly at the same stage of the project.

My platform is Win7/64bit and I use CS5

Will try Sean's solution after work.

Still need some clarification. Sean has suggested the following solution: 'To get around the problem, I created the missing file and gave the "Everyone" user "Full Control" permissions.' The file's name is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Encore CS4\duallayervideotslayout.log

How do you 'create' this file? Or probably the file is already there and you just gave 'everyone' user 'full controll' permissions?

Please clarify.

Thank you

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2011 10:17 AM   in reply to Igor Valentovitch

See message #10 dated Apr 3, 2010

When you right click the program icon, I think you may select a setting of Run as Administrator in the properties and then save the changed icon (I'm not at my Win7 computer)

Forever after that Win7 will ask if you "really" want to Run as Administrator when you click the icon... simply click yes and continue working

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2011 2:12 AM   in reply to Antoin151

Just to clarify - so that you don't have to continuously right click and select "Run as Administrator", you should right click the application and select Properties. Within Properties there is a tab called "Compatibility". At the bottom of this tab is an option called "Run this program as an administrator". By selecting this check box and Applying you will always be administrator with the application and afterwards you only need to double click your application and you will definitely be running as administrator.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2011 2:46 AM   in reply to Steve Liles

Or, to avoid having to run the application as an Administrator (with the  possible security issues that carries), you could just create the log  file it needs the Administrator permissions for...

• Click Start, type Notepad in the search box, then right-click on the Notepad application and choose "Run As Administrator"
    • In Notepad, click "File" then "Save As"
    • Use "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Encore CS4\duallayervideotslayout.log" (for 64-bit Windows) or "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Encore CS4\duallayervideotslayout.log" (for 32-bit Windows) as the filename
    • Close Notepad
    • Click Start, then "Computer".
    • Navigate to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Encore CS4" (for 64-bit windows) or "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Encore CS4" (for 32-bit Windows)
    • Right-click on the file we create earlier "duallayervideotslayout.log" and choose "Properties"
    • Click the "Security" tab and click the "Edit" button
    • Click "Add", type "Everyone" (without quotes) in the box then click OK.
    • With "Everyone" selected in the list click "Full Control" under the Allow column.
    • Click "OK" then "OK" again.
    • Job done

And all of this because Adobe put a log file in the application's program folder instead of the local users data folder

Sean

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2011 11:07 AM   in reply to scardus01

Very helpfull indeed. Running as administrator solves the issue. I'm still not sure why this problem occurs only when burning DL 8.5GB discs.

It defenetely does not occur when I'm burning dueal layer blu-ray discs.

Thanks for the thread and assistance.

Igor

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 18, 2011 1:08 PM   in reply to Igor Valentovitch

Igor,

Running as administrator by-passes a lot of Permissions issues, that can get in the way. Sometimes, one will just update the OS, and loose some of the Permissions settings.

Good luck, and thanks for reporting,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    May 21, 2011 11:09 AM   in reply to Antoin151

Thank you so much everybody!!!!!

Worked like a charm..

Thank goodness for the forums and Google...

|
    Mark as:
    May 11, 2012 8:37 AM   in reply to Antoin151

What I did was right click on the encore icon (in the start menu in the programs list) that launches the program and selected the compatibility tab. Then i selected the option of always run as administrator. then saved setting. Reopened the program as admin and it worked.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points