Skip navigation
director-editor
Currently Being Moderated

AE CS4 - why such poor RAM preview on my FAST machine?

Mar 29, 2010 8:06 AM

Hi all, I just installed After Effects CS4 - I have a smokin fast mchine: quadcore Zeon 3.20 GHz, hyperthreading turned on, nvidia quadrofx 3800 with current driver, 12 GB DDR3 RAM, windows 7 64bit ... can you PLEASE help me troubleshoot a problem:  even on the simplest compositions, a moving picture or a moving piece of type, the RAM preview stutters along, the current time indicator hops along at a choppy pace, images in the frame dont look like they're moving smoothly, and all i get is about 6 seconds of RAM preview ... seems to me that I used to get better performance on a MUCH MUCH  slower machine under windows XP ... i have looked around the forums and seem the advice on multiprocessor options and the like, but nothing I do seems to help ... do any of you have any advice for me to improve my performance???  if you have any questions about my setup or preferences, let me know, I will be on this until I get what I expect out of my (otherwise incredibly fast) machine

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 29, 2010 8:34 AM   in reply to director-editor

I recommend starting here:

"Performance tip: Don't starve your software of RAM"

Read this, too:

"Performance tip: Don't overschedule your processors"

There's a whole section on improving performance here:

"Improve performance"

Regarding only 6 seconds of RAM preview:

You didn't say what kind of frame sizes you're using, but that is an expected duration for HD RAM preview. See this page:

"FAQ: Why does RAM preview only play part of my composition?"

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2010 10:51 AM   in reply to director-editor

Sounds like you have a serious configuration problem somewhere. Even if you are a bad boy and don't follow Todd's advise , the overall behavior should be much better. I would definitely look into turning off OpenGL for starters. That may already resolve a lot of issues. If it does, you know that something is up with your graphics card/ its driver...  For the rest work your way through Todd's tips.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2010 11:45 AM   in reply to director-editor
    > could either of you tell me this: should my current time indicator move smoothly through a preview? I have always thought that it did move with ease .. on my computer, it jumps ahead seeming to move ten frames at a time, definitely doesnt flow through the composition smoothly (like I thought it should)  the current time indicator moves jerkily (ie not smooth) whether I am running SD or HD comps

I've seen reports of the current-time indicator (CTI) moving jerkily when a preview is playing, but the video is playing smoothly. I wouldn't worry about the CTI movement if the video is playing smoothly.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 30, 2010 8:46 PM   in reply to director-editor

Just one thing to cut down a frequent misconception:

Your nice graphics card doesn't do much for After Effects performance.In fact, trying to use OpenGL for rendering (including rendering of previews) can cause problems.

I recommend turning OpenGL rendering off for all but interactions. I.e., choose the OpenGL - Interactive preview mode and turn off OpenGL for rendering previews. OpenGL is not compatible with Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing.

I'm not saying that OpenGL is your problem. Rather, because you mentioned your nice graphics card, I just had to stress that you need to forget about that with regard to After Effects. It's not really relevant.

It may be that the jerkiness is an issue with a bottleneck of drawing to the screen. (I don't know, but it's possible.)

Your hard disk being too slow wouldn't be an issue with RAM previews, since the frames are all cached in RAM.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 31, 2010 8:00 PM   in reply to director-editor

I'm at a loss for a definitive answer. I suppose that one thing that I'd try is to disconnect one of your monitors and see if playing out to only one of them helps. But I'm taking shots in the dark here.

If you were describing slow renders for RAM previews, then I'd have a better idea of where to go, but jerky (stuttering?) RAM preview playback isn't something that I have a clear answer for.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 1, 2010 11:42 AM   in reply to director-editor

Do you have any graphics heavy themes, or desktop graphics (3rd party) installed?

Are you using any 3rd party input devices (intellipoint mouse, wacom tablet, etc...)?

If so, try disabling whichever may be installed, rebooting, and RAM previewing again.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 3, 2010 11:29 AM   in reply to TimeRemapper

Any chance you have a Matrox or AJA capture card?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 5, 2010 6:39 AM   in reply to director-editor

It's possible one or more of your RAM sticks is bad. I've seen that happen before. (In a not-so-distant prior life I was a tech support agent for a major computer company.)

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2010 1:42 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Here is another report of the CTI moving jerky, 10 frame hops it seems. putting markers on the layer with * corresponds with real time.

|
    Mark as:
    May 15, 2010 1:50 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

I have to think this is a 64 bit question. I like the original poster have a pretty pwoerful machine, Intel DX5400 with 2 quad core processors and 16 gig of ram. My video card is a 2 gig ati.

I have never gotten Ram preview to give more than a couple of seconds, not the 10-15 seconds. I recently did a clean reinstall of everything and now, ram preview doesn't work at all. Audio preview freezes the gui for 10-20 seconds, the audio starts playing after the cti has moved 2-3 seconds, and when you put a marker on the layer it goes silent for 1 or 2 seconds.

It's really just unusable, it doesn't work like advertised. A real pain because you can't do anything with the audio track, can you imagine? I need to change scenes on a beat, and it's now taken me 3 hours.

All the memory suggestions, open gl etc even turned off the second monitor as mentioned above, no dice.

|
    Mark as:
    May 19, 2010 3:46 PM   in reply to Octobit1970
    It's really just unusable, it doesn't work like advertised.

I think this is a complete Mis-Statement and bash against Adobe, for I am running on an older System, a HP xw8200 Dual Xeon 3.6 Ghz, System using WinXP64 and 6 Gigs of RAM, Quadro FX 3450 and am not having any problems like this at all!!!

As a side note, in helping another Artist with his Setup and the same Problems with youself on a Killer Machine, 8 Cores, 8 Gigs of Ram, Quadro FX 4600, and so on, the Power in fluid control, previewing and Rendering lies within the Second Post on this Thread.....

REad Them, work threw them and get and Understanding for them.

Cheers

Also, what is running in the Background on Your System, how optimised for Video Work is your System?   Is that System on the Net and running Virus Checkers and FirewallS?   If yes, Sorry, get it offline and turn off those items.......

|
    Mark as:
    May 25, 2011 8:57 AM   in reply to director-editor

I know this is an OLD bump but I recently had this same problem and finally solved it.

To solve this problem I had to change my database and cache locations to a seperate hard drive.  In preferences its located under Media & Disk Cache.

Problem solved.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2013 1:20 AM   in reply to T_Townrampage

To clarify ... separate from your SYSTEM drive, your drive containing the VIDEO, or BOTH?  I'm guessing system since you could theoretically produce something that did not use anything but AE elements (no video) and still get these results.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points