• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How Smooth should Flash Video Play on 6Mbps DSL?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2010 Mar 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am noticing a lot of stuttering on my Flash videos viewed over the internet, Win 7 64bit and IE 8, Opera & Chrome.

Here is a link to some tests - http://watchmymvp.com/Encoding%20Test/EncodingTest.htm

Please give some feedback on your playback experience if you would!

Some background:

I am a video producer who shoots, edits, encodes and manages a few websites.  I am very familiar with bitrates and encoding.

The videos I am seeing stuttering on are created from HD content and were encoded in Adobe Media Encoder at a bitrate from 775kbps down to 400kbps.  When I play these through my 6meg DSL connection there is a constant random stutter like the video is stuggling with a low buffer.  This happens even after the download bar shows the entire video is downloaded.

So am I expecting too much from Flash video?  Will it always be an "internet" experience and not smooth?

When I double-click the .swf files in Windows Explorer they play just fine, very smooth.

The Flash player is the latest which was uninstalled and re-installed

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Smoothness of streaming videos are not only depending on the Internet connection speed and quallity, but also on the response time of the video server on the other side.

But I have just watched the video at http://watchmymvp.com/Encoding%20Test/EncodingTest.htm, and it plays very smoothly.  This is on a 1Gbps ADSL connection; perhaps 6Mbps is a bit slow...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.

So as a content creator, what can I do to improve the playback?

I have examples on that page that are at 400kbps and still stutter.  I would think my 6meg connection could playback a 400kbps video?

Or might I have a problem with something on my end?

I need to figure this out as work needs to be put on client's websites.

Thanks for your insights.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 30, 2010 Mar 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two things I can think of

1. the client side may have processes running in the background that affect the performance
  2. the server side may be overloaded during peak times

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 30, 2010 Mar 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

《索爱公子》

-

原始信息 -

发自: Videoman54321 <forums@adobe.com>

发送时间:

收件人: 梁心 梁心 <liang.xin2388@gmail.com>

主题: Re: How Smooth should Flash Video Play on 6Mbps DSL?

Thanks for your reply.

So as a content creator, what can I do to improve the playback?

I have examples on that page that are at 400kbps and still stutter.  I would think my 6meg connection could playback a 400kbps video?

Or might I have a problem with something on my end?

I need to figure this out as work needs to be put on client's websites.

Thanks for your insights.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines