Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do I convert pdf to text?

Apr 2, 2010 6:54 AM

I'm using Adobe Reader 9.3.1 on a MacBook Pro  10.6.2 and I can't get Adobe Reader to save pdf files as text. When I choose that option, it creates a text file with the same name, but the file is blank. I need a fast, reliable way to convert pdf info to text. Can anyone help? Thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 2, 2010 7:14 AM   in reply to tryanother

What you describe is indicative of a PDF that contains the scanned image of text.

As an image, there'd be no text to save out to a text file.

Be well...

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2010 7:31 AM   in reply to tryanother

There are quite a few of those out there.

For starters, there's Adobe Acrobat. Then there's Abbyy FineReader...

This stuff is so basic to business these days wish someone would come up with an ordinary, simple, reliable conversion program.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2010 8:24 AM   in reply to tryanother

Yes. It has a feature called Optical Character Recognition (OCR) that will convert images of text to text.

But if you want my opinion, Abbyy FineReader probably does a better job since it is dedicated to that purpose only where Acrobat isn't. It's cheaper too so unless you want all the other features of Acrobat, it may be a better deal.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2010 8:26 AM   in reply to tryanother

One more thing. Don't expect hassle free conversions. Ther is no such thing but the right tool will make a big difference towards making life easier.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 2, 2010 12:43 PM   in reply to tryanother

I don't think that will ever happen.

If you control the workflow from start (scanning) to finish then there's a chance that you can have a somewhat pain-free system.

But since the original scan is in my opinion, the important part and may not be controllable on your end, there's not much to be done.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 6, 2010 8:43 PM   in reply to tryanother

I think it is possible.

Firstly, I don't suggest using Adobe reader or Arcobat to copy and paste from PDF to Word. It is tedious work with low efficiency.

Try to use PDF to Text Converter, by which you can directly convert PDF to text. All the text will be preserved in an editable document.

Best wishes.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 5, 2012 1:30 PM   in reply to wattscott

The Adobe ExportPDF online service also allows you to convert a scanned PDF to text.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 30, 2013 3:14 AM   in reply to tryanother

hey i finally found a decent one after quite a long search: http://pdftoword.pro/ ,

but now im searching for one that will detect key words and then convert only certain parts

any hints?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points