Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Lightroom and iPad

Apr 7, 2010 8:08 AM

I have been experimenting with the iPad as a photo storage device.  I have a couple of questions regarding LR.

First, my impression is that if you transfer DNG files into LR through the sync process, you lose all your LR edits.  In others words, the photo that is displayed is the original from out of the camera.  Is this correct?

Second, if you transfer the file to the iPad through the sync process, is the file that is stored on the iPad the DNG file, or does the internal processing convert the file to something else, like a compressed jpeg?

Anybody who has other experiences or observations with the iPad that are worth sharing, please do so.

Thanks

Jack Siegel

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 11, 2010 9:37 AM   in reply to JBsiegel

I don't use DNG but when I imported some photos to the iPad (mostly JPEGS and one

Olympus RAW) it displayed them all fine but as you say, the RAW was displayed without any

adjustments.

But if I export photos from LR to a folder (say "iPad Photos") and then tell iTunes to sync with that photo, then all the shots have my LR edits.

What I want to know is when they release the camera USB attachment and the card reader, when you import RAW directly from the camera, will the iPad display the unedited RAW file or the embedded JPEG.

As far as how it is stored - that is anybody's guess because even with the iPad attached to computer, you can't access the file structure on the internal memory.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2010 8:06 PM   in reply to JBsiegel

Hi! Ho do you sync your Ipad using Lightroom? When I connect the Ipad to my computer, I do not see the Ipad as a source to load images from.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2010 8:20 PM   in reply to Victor Wolansky

Hi Vic,

When I first plug in the iPad, iTunes opens up and does it's sync/backup stuff. When I open Lightroom and go to import, the iPad is there as a device. I don't do anything special. I assume that you have iTunes installed and that the iPad shows up properly? Or are you trying to see the iPad in Lightroom without it syncing in iTunes first? I am not sure if it will work that way.

Steve

Sent from my iPad

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2010 4:22 AM   in reply to JBsiegel

Bear in mind that regardless of whether you are using RAW, DNG or Jpegs with LR the only place that your changes exist is within LR. The whole point of the LR way of working is that your edits are non-destructive, lR never changes the original file.

If you transfer your original file to the iPad (or anywhere else for that matter) you are not really losing your LR edit's, they were never there in the first place. If you want to have a file containing your photograph that incorporates your LR changes then you need to 'export' from within LR and that create a new file, it's essentially a copy of the original with the changes and edits made in LR applied. That's what you should then sync to iPad. Obviously if you then make more changes in LR you have to export again.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2010 11:01 AM   in reply to PeteB2407

PeteB2407 wrote:

Bear in mind that regardless of whether you are using RAW, DNG or Jpegs with LR the only place that your changes exist is within LR. The whole point of the LR way of working is that your edits are non-destructive, lR never changes the original file.

In the case of DNG and JPEG files this is only true if you do NOT have the option 'Automatically write changes into XMP' checked AND if you never select 'Metadata->Save Metadata to File'.  In either case the original file is changed because the metadata is written to the file.  The original RAW files--those from the camera--can also be changed by LR if the option 'Write date or time changes into proprietary raw files.' is checked.  You are correct in that the actual image pixel data in the file(s) is never intentionally changed by LR.

PeteB2407 wrote:

If you transfer your original file to the iPad (or anywhere else for that matter) you are not really losing your LR edit's, they were never there in the first place.

Again, not strictly true in the case of DNG and JPEG files--if the 'edits' are saved to the file.  In this case the 'edits' are there in the form of metadata changes.  These 'edits' are read by ACR and LR but I don't know of any other software that is capable of applying the 'edits' to the displayed/printed/exported image. Unless the 'export' process strips the metadata changes then the 'edits' are still there.

The iPad may strip the metadata from the file on import--I've never tested to see if that is the case.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2010 11:22 AM   in reply to snwandy

snwandy wrote:

<...>

What I want to know is when they release the camera USB attachment and the card reader, when you import RAW directly from the camera, will the iPad display the unedited RAW file or the embedded JPEG.

<...>

Either iPad Photo displays the embedded JPEG or is programmed to apply some correction for the imported RAW images (from my Canon 40D) I see on my iPad are close to those I see on LR after my 'standard preliminary' adjustments for that camera/ISO are applied on import.

In other words, they are not the dull, dimmed and flat images one would expect from an unprocessed RAW file.

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2010 11:01 AM   in reply to JBsiegel

Anyone know of a way to delete the photos from the iPad once the upload is complete?  Can be done in iPhoto but I don't see how to in LR. 

|
    Mark as:
    May 26, 2010 11:22 AM   in reply to macwino44

I don't think LR can do that, you can always open the drive that is mounted go to the folder and delete the stuff. 

But not 100% sure LR can't do it.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2011 7:13 AM   in reply to JBsiegel

I have an Ipad2 and a PC running XP and LR3... I connect the ipad to the PC and I can see it as a device in Lightroom... however it says "No Photos Found"... however I have several thousand photos on the Ipad (DNG+JPEG) loaded using the camera connect kit.  I really need to get these off the Ipad so any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2011 9:54 AM   in reply to Oscar Dreese

If you connect your iPad to your computer using the standard USB wire, the iPad should show up in Lightroom and be available for importing.  Don't believe it will show if you are using the Camera Connection dongle.

...Bill

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 10, 2011 6:51 PM   in reply to macwino44

Note - I have been using the USB connection cord to connect the Ipad to the PC and the Ipad does show up as a device in Lightroom.  However, in LR when I click on the Ipad it says "No Photos Found".  This issue is not getting the Ipad to appear in LR but I know I have JPEG and DNG files on the Ipad so not sure how to get it to show the files to show up there....

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points