Skip navigation
DaveJosias
Currently Being Moderated

Changing pms color in InDesign from a imported (linked) InDesign file

Apr 8, 2010 5:07 PM

I'm working on multiple (8) versions of a book in InDesign. I'm linking pages from one version (in Design document) to another version (inDesign document). My problem lies in that in one of the versions, a color prints 4c, but in the other version it will print the same color but as a pms spot. Is there a setting where the InDesign document will overide the imported swatches of the linked InDesign document so I can change the imported color from a 4c to a spot whithout changing it in the linked file? I know you can with .ai, psd, etc.... Just not sure if this is possible with an imported InDesign file? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Dave

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 8, 2010 5:10 PM   in reply to DaveJosias

Have you tried synchronizing swatches in the book?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 8, 2010 5:50 PM   in reply to DaveJosias

You probably realise this already but if you could make it fit your workflow you can do it in reverse with Ink Manager.....  When I tried (in CS3) a placed Indesign file doesn't bring in it's CMYK swatches so you can't do it then.  But if you made the placed the Indesign file with the spot you then turn that spot into a CMYK mix.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2010 10:00 AM   in reply to DaveJosias

Use the Ink Manager to alias the imported swatch with the desired swatch.

inkmanager.png

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2010 10:29 AM   in reply to DaveJosias

Sorry, I misunderstood you and thought you had a book already.

I still think that's going to be the ultimate solution. Make a new book, add all the documents you're extracting page from, then synch the swatches using a file with the right definitions as the source.

WARNING: This will make real, permanent changes to the documents. You might want to use copies instead, then relink the placed pages to the copies after the synching.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2010 10:33 AM   in reply to DaveJosias

You have a cmyk value that you want to convert to a spot - that ain't gonna happen outside of the source, sorry to be blunt. (Edit - you could accomplish this on a pdf file in Acrobat with Pitstop)

You have access to the ID file, not just a pdf; you must have a good reason not to edit the cmyk doc to spot and there are plenty of reasons not to in a perfect - out of your control - enviroment.

btw, you cannot do this with an .ai or .psd link defined cmyk.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points