Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Generating Layout Freezes, only added Conditional tag

Apr 09, 2010 Apr 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to generate a new layout no problem before but now I've added a conditional build tag and have the layout set to block it. It wouldn't go through before so I tried removing the topics I tagged and I still can't get the output to generate when I have the tag selected.

Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 19, 2010 Apr 19, 2010

I wish I had placed a bet on that. Tell your management that for me this is like trying to repair your car and you refusing to bring it in to the garage. Either you become a mechanic or your car is useless. I'm sure Adobe's product manager would vouch for me if that helps you.

Otherwise we are down to not much left. I would suggest searching in a different way but different tags create the same problem. I cannot readily think of anything else except importing all your topics into a new project OR

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2010 Apr 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As no one has replied, perhaps I am not the only one who wasn't clear about the problem. If you haven't resolved it, please clarify.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 15, 2010 Apr 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter,

I don't know quite else how to explain. The system can generate my layout with any problems. If I choose to block text or pages using a conditional build tag the system freezes when it's generating a layout and never completes. When it freezes the system says it's "Updating files for FlashHelp..."

RH Issue.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see the Stick Topic, Before You Post.

What edition and version of RoboHelp are you using?

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure where Stick Topic is.

I'm using version 7.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://forums.adobe.com/community/robohelp/robohelp_flash

We now know it is RH7. RoboHelp HTML?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes sir. HTML!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was a problem with RoboHelp HTML but now that you have given me both the edition and version, I have checked and it was in fact a RoboHelp HTML 6 problem.

Try opening one of the sample projects and see if you get the same problem there if you generate with a tag.

You will find the samples at

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe RoboHelp 8\RoboHTML\Samples\en_US

or

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Technical Communication Suite 2\Adobe RoboHelp 8\RoboHTML\Samples\en_US

If they are OK, create a new two topic project and block one topic with the same named tag.

Post back how that goes.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The tag worked in the sample project and in the new project I created. The problem appears to be limited to my current project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2010 Apr 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make a copy of the project and delete both the CPD and PSS files. Then reopen the project and try again.

If that fails post back and add how many topics use this tag, a few or many.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 19, 2010 Apr 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deleted both of those files and It's still not working. I have no topics tagged yet because I removed the ones I did when it froze up. I tried to generate the layout with and without having a topic tagged and both freeze up. It works fine when I don't try to block the tags but as soon as I try to block it I can't finish generating a new layout.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So now you have no topics using the tag but it still freezes if the same build expression is used. Correct?

Have you checked the properties of the tags, specifically the Used In tab?

If that shows nothing is using those tags, delete them and create new ones with different names. Any change?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I deleted the old tag and created a new one with a different name. I attempted to generate the layout with the tag being blocked however I didn't tag any of the topics. The system still freezes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Not sure if you have tried this or not. What about creating a new layout? Have you tried that? In the Single Source Layouts area, right-click and choose New Layout.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried that and it didn't work either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How big is this project zipped up? Don't send yet.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I'm not allowed to release the files to anyone outside our company.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish I had placed a bet on that. Tell your management that for me this is like trying to repair your car and you refusing to bring it in to the garage. Either you become a mechanic or your car is useless. I'm sure Adobe's product manager would vouch for me if that helps you.

Otherwise we are down to not much left. I would suggest searching in a different way but different tags create the same problem. I cannot readily think of anything else except importing all your topics into a new project OR the old half and half routine. You create a copy and trash half the content, then generate. Same problem? Create another copy and trash the other half then generate. Either you will find a point at which the problem goes away so the cause is in what you just trashed or you will end up with one topic and then create another project anyway.

Sorry but that's about it. Please post back if you do resolve it.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 20, 2010 Apr 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I move a large group of my files out of the project and I was able to generate the layout with tagging. I then slowly put groups of the files back in and reran the output until I finally found the problem topic and removed it. It's working fine now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2010 Apr 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wait till you have to do that with thousands of topics.

Glad to hear the problem is resolved.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp