Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

What are pdf attachments?

Apr 9, 2010 11:31 AM

I have a pdf I created. I'm trying to reduce the file size... something I do quite often (by just going to Document > Reduce File Size). However, in this instance, I'm getting the following message: "This PDF file contains attachments. PDF Optimizer will not process the attachments. You'll need to open each attachment and run this command to process all files."

I did not attach anything to the document, so it must mean something that I'm not understanding. I created the file using QuarkXPress 7. I just imported images (vector mostly, but a few bitmapped images). I have never had this issue before, so I'm not sure what to do about it. Oh... and if I just hit "OK" it does reduce the size slightly... from 7 mb to 6.7. Normally it will go down to less than 1 mb.

Julie

PS I'm using Acrobat 9 Professional

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 9, 2010 4:51 PM   in reply to Kenford

You can attach other files to your pdf. Good for bundling related files together. To attach a file choose Document > Attach a file...

To see if your PDF does indeed have attachments, click the paper clip symbol at bottom right of application window. A list will pop up. Highlight and delete any unwanted attachments.

Paul

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 9, 2010 7:42 PM   in reply to Kenford

It is not uncommon for settings files to get saved as an attachment. If this happened you can easily delete the attachment with no consequence. I assume the purpose of attaching the settings file is for people to be able to determine the settings used to create the pdf.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 10, 2010 12:27 PM   in reply to Kenford

Hi Julie,

Have you tried the Advanced > Print Production > PDF Optimizer method to reduce file size?

Paul

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 8, 2011 11:18 PM   in reply to Kenford

Well, I was facing same kind of problem but the trick works for me as well. Thanks

to you guys.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points