Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How to overcome Error 1402 on Reader 9.3 installation?

Apr 12, 2010 9:00 PM

I am getting Error 1402 attempting to install Reader 9.3.  It points to registry problem in Hkey_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current version\Run\Optional Components\IMAIL

I have read instructions to correct error 1402 but I am still having problems.  Adobe Reader does not appear in the Add/Install section of the Control panel.  I have used Regedit to look at the above registry key.  I can get all the way to the end where IMAIL appears.  But I do not know what to do at that point.  I am fearful of damaging the registry file until I know precisely what to do.  Can someone please step me through the instructions so that I can correct the problem?

Thank you.

Steve

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 13, 2010 9:43 PM   in reply to Steve3153

What Windows version are you using?

Are you installing it with Administrator rights?

You may need to change the permissions for the registry key listed in the error message, using regedit or regedt32, depending on your Windows version.

You are right being concerned about editing the registry.  You should always take a registry backup before attempting any edits.  ERUNT is a proven tool for backup and restore registry files.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 13, 2010 11:48 PM   in reply to Steve3153

You can check in Control Panel | Users if you userid has Administrator rights.

If not, right-click on the downloaded installer and select 'Run as Administrator'.  You can download the installer from here http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/9.x/9.3/enu/AdbeRdr93 0_en_US.exe

If the above doesn not work, follow this article on how to change registry key permissions (to Full Control): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310426/.  Don' hesitate to ask if you need further clarifications on this.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2010 7:24 PM   in reply to Steve3153

I have exactly the same issue since I tried to update  Adobe Reader. I have admin rights, and when I used regedit as suggested the key (same key) is not listed.  Any other suggestions?

Thx,

Marc

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2010 7:54 PM   in reply to Rubicon4me2

Found the key, changed the permissions, same error.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2010 9:30 PM   in reply to Steve3153

Steve - I've spent weeks on this and most recently hours tonight.  I finally got it through changing the permissions and owners in the registry.  I could not find the post of the person who posted instructions for changing the registry.  After tweaking it worked.  I have Windows 7, 64-bit, Firefox 3.63, Adobe Reader 9.2.  For error 1402 - the error says MACHINE32 but it is a misprint - it is actually MACHINE.  I think that since I have 64-bit I had to add:  "Wow6432Node" between SOFTWARE and Microsoft in the location given in the error message to find the Run\OptionalComponents\MSFS, IMAIL, and MAPI. 

Run regedit.exe

Find MSFS, IMAIL, and MAPI

In each change the permissions to full control of CREATOR OWNER, Administrator, Administrators, Users (my name), SYSTEM

Change OWNER in each of those 3 to SYSTEM

Change OWNER in OptionalComponents to SYSTEM

I was sure to click "APPLY" any time I made a change.  When done, I successfully updated to Reader 9.3.

Some of these changes may be unnecessary - but I didn't know which ones - so I changed them all.

I am the only one using my computer and I don't know if these settings should not be used if the computer is shared.

Good luck to all who are having this problem.  I hope this works for you.  Over the past few weeks I've had to shut down the computer & when turning it on, press F8 to USE THE LAST GOOD CONFIGURATION since I thought I might have screwed up the registry - and then I'd try again.  Don't give up!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 21, 2010 10:10 PM   in reply to Steve3153

Again, good luck!

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2010 2:12 PM   in reply to regina33

Hello regina33;

Following your instructions, I can get as far as "Run" then when I click on "OptionalComponents" I get the following message:

Error Opening Key

OptionalComponents cannot be opened.

An error is preventing this key from being opened.

Details: Access is denied.

Did you run across this error when you performed this regedit?

I presently have Adobe Reader 9.1.2 and can't update to 9.3. Even tried to uninstall and was denied.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2010 5:17 PM   in reply to gojoagogo

Hey gojo - I couldn't either until I did a search for "MSFS" and that appeared under something like "wow6432."  The address I found was a bit different than the one in the error message.

Good luck

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2010 6:27 PM   in reply to regina33

Hello regina33:

Thanks for your reply. I did the search for "MSFS" and was directed to "LEGACY MSFS", is this correct location? If yes, how do I change the IMAIL and MAPI? I did a search for both IMAIL and MAPI but no results.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2010 7:35 PM   in reply to gojoagogo

I have Windows 7 so this may be a bit different.  I did not have "LEGACY".  I'd try it - though I'd check to see if there are any other MSFS's.  I counted on being able to restore my registry from the last good one by pressing F8 when booting up - just in case I screwed something up.  Maybe the IMAIL & MAPI will appear after you get permissions to MSFS. 

Good luck!

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2010 9:16 PM   in reply to regina33

I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit and this "LEGACY" thing I get concerns me as it's different from what you got and it apprears we both have the same Windows 7 system. It would be so much easier if Adobe would just release a fix for this mess. What is scarey is the fact I can't delete Adobe Reader and remain a security risk with the  older version 9.1.2.

I'm not sure what I will do now. Thanks again for your input.

|
    Mark as:
    May 6, 2010 9:26 PM   in reply to gojoagogo

Try a search for "wow."  Let me know.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2010 5:31 PM   in reply to regina33

Hi regina33:

I did the registry search for "wow" and no results were found.

I did a "Bing" search on the internet for "Error 1402 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE32/..." and found out Adobe Reader isn't the only program assosiated with this. I found that some people with Kaspersky products also have gotten this type of Error when they try to uninstall or install.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2010 6:23 PM   in reply to gojoagogo

Did you actually find MACHINE32?  I only found MACHINE.  Either way - if you screwed up your registry, you could always restore it from the last good one.

Again, good luck.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2010 8:03 PM   in reply to gojoagogo

Put this in the FWIW category - but I was having the same 1402 error involving msfs registry key (XP) when trying to update Acrobat Pro 9.

Downloading and running Dial-a-fix allowed the update to finish.  http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Dial-a-fix  Download link is 3/4 of the way down the page. Use the 2nd download location - the first returned a corrupt file.

Run the software and use the hammer icon. This will open advanced tools and you need to choose the "repair permissions" option. Runs in two parts.

Afterwards I was able to do the update w/o even a reboot. Then did a reboot w/o issue and Adobe updater was able to complete a follow-up update with no problems.

|
    Mark as:
    May 9, 2010 8:36 PM   in reply to wbm5656

It appears Dial-a-fix isn't compatible with Windows 7 64 Bit.

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2010 10:03 AM   in reply to Pat Willener

Ok people, I am really green when it comes to computers.  What the heck is the key and how do I find it? I cannot get this darn reader to work and I need it badly. Someone help or else this computer is going out the window.  lol

|
    Mark as:
    May 10, 2010 10:30 AM   in reply to jolenejude

The key is located in your registry.  You can do a search of your C drive to find the registry.  It might be best if you had a friend with you before attempting to change your registry.  This friend should have some familiarity with the registry.

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2010 11:24 AM   in reply to regina33

I used the Windows Installer Cleanup  Utility to remove Adobe Reader which worked then tried to install Adobe Reader 9.3 which once again produced the Error 1402. I have given up and excepted that I can't use Adobe Reader with my  Windows 7 64 Bit, no great loss. I have installed the Foxit PDF Reader which has a free version. It comes with a Foxit Toolbar which I don't like to use toolbars but can easily be removed through your "Programs and Features".

http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2010 11:48 AM   in reply to gojoagogo

Sorry I couldn't help

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2010 12:41 PM   in reply to regina33

I do appreciate you trying to help. I don't know have much you use Adobe Reader but you may have the same problem everytime Adobe Reader has a new update. If you do have problems in the future, give "Foxit PDF Reader" a try. It's a smaller program only 10.6 MB and works the same way Adobe Reader does for reading PDF files. CNET gives it 5 Stars. 

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2010 1:41 PM   in reply to Steve3153

You're welcome. I think you will enjoy using it, low resources and does a great job reading PDF files. I wasn't  having the Erorr 1402 on my Windows XP but I removed Adobe Reader and installed Foxit PDF Reader because I was so impressed with the way the program performed on my Windows 7 64 Bit.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 30, 2010 7:54 AM   in reply to regina33

This solution is correct, only you have to first change the owner, before you are ALLOWED to make changes in permissions.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 2, 2011 7:51 AM   in reply to Steve3153

I worked all day on

the problem and tried all suggested solution but no help. Finally, I tried to run the Norton Antivirus that found 23 threats. The problem was solved immediately and the system is back to normal. I think the company offering and selling their products put the virus. Good Luck, kakabator

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points