Skip navigation
mrsdesignsherman
Currently Being Moderated

Lately I haven't been able to add editable regions using Dreamweaver.

Apr 20, 2010 9:38 AM

I have set up about 20 accounts using InContext editing, and had success each time when creating the editable regions in Dreamweaver. However, on the last 2 sites that I set up, I create the editable regions in Dreamweaver and upload all of the files to the FTP. Then, when I try to edit the pages using InContext, there are no editable regions, so I have to manually add them.

With the most recent site, I want to now add another editable region, but can't do so through Dreamweaver and I don't know how to add additional editable regions through the InContext editor. I have tried removing the regions and then putting them back in with no success.

I hope that you can help me figure this out! Thank you in advance for your time!!

I can't wait to try this on Business Catalyst. I suspect that it will be much smoother!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Apr 20, 2010 10:00 AM   in reply to mrsdesignsherman

OMFG!!!!

If this isn't a PAID for Post, I've never seen one before. Nice touch, guys!!!

let me explain something to the rest of you who may not be understanding the dynamics of this whole situation.

#1 ALL the problems you are experiencing with InContext is due to your current Hosting Providers server configuration

#2 In order for Adobe to control that, they need YOU to host your site on their servers

#3 Hosting websites is where the real money is.. NOT designing websites

#4 Adobe is creating a Hosting solution that directly benefits THEIR products because they can't develop a web application that is independent without making it COMPLETELY transparent and Open Source

#5 If you buy into this, you will forever be on a track that depends on Adobe's business plan (and by business, I mean their $$... ) Once you're locked in... you're locked IN!!! Your site won't function on another server!!!

THIS POST IS A BLATANT ATTEMPT TO CONVINCE YOU THAT SOMEONE ELSE CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEW SERVICE!!!

YOU MIGHT AS WELL OPEN UP AN ACCOUNT WITH

Intuit®  | Website Building Software & Website Design

AND LET THEM CREATE A SITE FOR YOUR CUSTOMER

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2010 10:06 AM   in reply to mrsdesignsherman

Hello,

Can you send me a private message with a link to your website and a test account?

Thank you,

Cristinel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 20, 2010 12:11 PM   in reply to mrsdesignsherman

OK, Hal... I believe you.

Is it just me or why am I feeling like Dave?

Dave Bowman: Hello, HAL. Do you read me, HAL? 
    HAL: Affirmative, Dave. I read you. 

Dave Bowman: Open the pod bay doors, HAL. 
    HAL: I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that. 

Dave Bowman: What's the problem? 
    HAL: I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.

Dave Bowman: What are you talking about, HAL? 
    HAL: This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.

Dave Bowman: I don't know what you're talking about, HAL. 
    HAL: I know that you and Frank were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid  that's something I cannot allow to happen.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 22, 2010 9:05 AM   in reply to mrsdesignsherman

Hi Jackie,

I've been looking over the links in your post and have a few questions or hints.

I'm noticing that you're using Dreamweaver templates on those pages. I wonder if you are defining the editable regions on each page at a time? If this is your workflow, the Dreamweaver Create Editable region command will not be able to write the link to the ice.js file in the page header (is locked by the template) and thus the CTRL+E will not work even if the DIV is marked as editable.

If this is the scenario, one suggestion is to edit the template and link ice.js file in the template header. Saving the template will propagate the changes and the other pages should also work.

Let me know if I am completely off here.

Thanks,

Cristinel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2010 9:53 AM   in reply to mrsdesignsherman

Hi Jackie,

Thank you for this detailed description of your workflow. I'll try duplicate the problem later today and understand what is happening. I guess something is different in your last two sites, but I need to understand what. I'll keep you posted later today or tomorrow.

One thing is sure, we haven't made any updates on the standalone service so, is either a browser update or something different on those pages.

Thank you for your patience,

Cristinel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2010 9:59 AM   in reply to mrsdesignsherman

Hi Jackie,

Can you check if the ice:classes="*" attribute is added to the CSS class you linked in the file? Also, menu will only displayed named classes (.mycssclass) and not selectors or any other styling.

Thank you,

Cristinel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2010 11:14 AM   in reply to cristinel@adobe

Cristenel.... I'll look at this and could probably solve it in minutes.

I accept PayPal

-Tom

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2010 1:36 PM   in reply to mrsdesignsherman

Hi Jackie,

Would be possible to invite me as an editor to this website? My email is cranasta (AT) adobe (DOT) com.

Thanks,

Cristinel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2010 1:50 PM   in reply to mrsdesignsherman

Hi Jackie,

I think I figured out what is happening on these two sites and why the editable regions are not working, but I need to confirm with you.

In your workflow, you're saying that you are defining ICE editable regions, but I guess that you are defining those regions inside DWT editable regions. When you save the template, Dreamweaver will propagate the changes that are outside DWT editable regions, and thus the InContext Editing ones are not saved in the pages.

To make sure the changes are propagated, you should define, if possible, the InContext Editable region just outside the DWT editable region mark-up. So your DWT code should like this:

<div class="Content" ice:editable="*">

<!-- InstanceBeginEditable name="FullContentArea" -->

<!-- InstanceEndEditable -->

</div>

Otherwise, you would need to open each page and create the editable regions in Dreamweaver and then upload the files on the server.

Thank you,

Cristinel

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2010 2:10 PM   in reply to mrsdesignsherman

Hi Jackie,

Just to share the result with everyone else... I've been added as a user to the website and found that CSS classes worked, at least on the homepage. Now, as a general tip, when this happen, usually the following things could be checked:

• There is a CSS file linked in the page that has the ice:classes=”*” attribute
    • The CSS file includes named classes
    • The editable regions allows users to update classes
    • The user has clicked in an editable region (the ICE menu is disable when the user doesn’t click inside a region)

Thanks,

Cristinel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points